Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2,956 of 4,837
On the subject of long term ownership, I'm pretty sure I would not have bought Traillii if I had a store demo or maybe even borrowed a unit for a couple of days - in fact based on the difficulty I had with tips in the first week or so, I would have ran a mile! It took me a while to fully appreciate their beauty and the best scenarios for me to spend quality time with them. Certainly a big risk buying something at that price blind, thankfully in this case for me it paid off.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,957 of 4,837
Unfortunately .. I have no way to really use and test on sufficient long term such elite IEM.

It took me months to fully appreciate the Senn IE900 against the IER-Z1R.
With the IE900, it was a real pain for me to find the proper tips and even a microphonics noise free cable.. but now, I could solve those issues, I wouldn't quit the IE900 anymore, and it's definitely a part of my audio travel case.

I know the Vision Ears EXT is not appreciated by some listeners, but, as the main limits of my IE900 are turning around the mids and highs, which could be a step better, I really want to give a chance to the EXT for a while and stay, if possible, with a universal fit that should allow me to sell it easier end of 2022, if it's not at the level I am expecting now.

As I already own a FIIO M17 for the DCA Stealth, I don't care so much about the power needed by the Vision Ears EXT.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,958 of 4,837
On the subject of long term ownership, I'm pretty sure I would not have bought Traillii if I had a store demo or maybe even borrowed a unit for a couple of days - in fact based on the difficulty I had with tips in the first week or so, I would have ran a mile! It took me a while to fully appreciate their beauty and the best scenarios for me to spend quality time with them. Certainly a big risk buying something at that price blind, thankfully in this case for me it paid off.
I guess some people enjoy this hobby for the antithesis of long-term ownership - always chasing what's new. They're in it for the chase, and to them, the reward of getting a new IEM is short-lived and soon replaced by the desire to chase, again. There's no denying the fun of the chase, but sometimes I think we're talking cross purposes to each other when our motivations to own something are very different to others'.

I'm going to have my afternoon coffee now - just reading over my own comments suggests I've hit that time of day when I start getting too philosophical even for me. :thermometer_face:

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2,959 of 4,837
My first hours of 2022 were with the IE900 and the more I listen to it, the more I love it and am impressed.
It's unique sounding. I haven't plugged it yet to the Pro iCAN but I think this will be interesting...

IE900 is a classic in the making... that 7mm driver is something special and unique... they managed to push it even further than IE800 (I am skipping IE800S which was such a disappointment... too much correction on the IE800 irks). Sennheiser is back!

Happy new years to all lucky owners, so hard to find these days... and good luck to future owners, Sennheiser will pick back no doubt...
Vs sony ier z1r what is batter?

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,960 of 4,837
Ier-z1r & ie900 both have a diffused presentation that isn't what you'd expect from iems. You don't feel the stereo panning and image seperation as much as other flagship iems. (The Empire Ears Odin being the opposite of them)

Ie900 has the better rounded bass hit, while Ier-z1r with the right tips can give a subbass reverb that the ie900 can't do.

Both iems are not fast feeling in the micro-details of the mids.

Ier-z1r has a detailed metallic treble that is reasonable & special after some time you get used to it. While the ie900 has less bite to some instruments and is a little more polite there. Only instruments ie900 excels at are some high note brass ones.

Ier-z1r is still ahead of the ie900. But if you EQ the ie900 then the it can cover more instruments.
If overall, only about the sound, which one is better?

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,961 of 4,837
And again here i am being completely impressed that the IE900 actually stand its ground being far less expensive then the IEMs it gets compared to and all that while being far smaller and more comfortable in the ear. Just seeing the IER-Z1R i know i couldnt wear these for long time even with custom sleeves attached because of the huge size.
Not only when it comes to genres but usecases and comfort the IE900 remains the perfect Allrounder and nothing else seems to come close in that regard.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #2,962 of 4,837
And again here i am being completely impressed that the IE900 actually stand its ground being far less expensive then the IEMs it gets compared to and all that while being far smaller and more comfortable in the ear. Just seeing the IER-Z1R i know i couldnt wear these for long time even with custom sleeves attached because of the huge size.
Not only when it comes to genres but usecases and comfort the IE900 remains the perfect Allrounder and nothing else seems to come close in that regard.
I don’t get the Z1R comparisons, I sold it because the IE900 beat it hands down in every way for me. The Z1R sounds artificial compared to the IE900, it sounds like a man made system, the IE900 sounds natural. I once compared the Z1R and Shure KSE1500, I said the KSE was like being in the room with the band, and the Z1R was like hearing it on the best Sound system in a club.

The IE900 manages to do both depending on the what the recording intended.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #2,963 of 4,837
I don’t get the Z1R comparisons, I sold it because the IE900 beat it hands down in every way for me. The Z1R sounds artificial compared to the IE900, it sounds like a man made system, the IE900 sounds natural. I once compared the Z1R and Shure KSE1500, I said the KSE was like being in the room with the band, and the Z1R was like hearing it on the best Sound system in a club.

Do u like sen ie900 more than sony ier z1r ?I'm picking these two. I hesitated to go to Sony. Saw the reviews but they gave it a rating. So I couldn't choose because I've never listened to either.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #2,964 of 4,837
Do u like sen ie900 more than sony ier z1r ?I'm picking these two. I hesitated to go to Sony. Saw the reviews but they gave it a rating. So I couldn't choose because I've never listened to either.
I think he said that the IE900 easily beats the Z1R. IE900 is better, that’s why he sold his Z1R away.

In my opinion of owning the Z1R for a few hours, I also feel that the IE900 is the overall better IEM since it is very much more comfortable. Sound wise I will have to say maybe I prefer the IE900 since I cannot remember 100% how the Z1R sounded like. But I recall I was not astounded as much as when I heard the IE900. The IE900 just blew me away right out of the box whereas the Z1R was just ‘meh it’s good’ and that was it.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #2,965 of 4,837
I think he said that the IE900 easily beats the Z1R. IE900 is better, that’s why he sold his Z1R away.

In my opinion of owning the Z1R for a few hours, I also feel that the IE900 is the overall better IEM since it is very much more comfortable. Sound wise I will have to say maybe I prefer the IE900 since I cannot remember 100% how the Z1R sounded like. But I recall I was not astounded as much as when I heard the IE900. The IE900 just blew me away right out of the box whereas the Z1R was just ‘meh it’s good’ and that was it.
Thank you for your comments that actually work.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #2,966 of 4,837
Thank you for your comments that actually work.
You are welcome, sir. On a side note, you are asking in a IE900 thread so it might be biased like my opinion haha. People in this thread tend to be fans of the IE900. Well, whichever IEM you pick, it will be great. But as what I always tell my friends and other people is to try them out yourself before purchasing. Good luck!

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #2,968 of 4,837

I love the IE 900. I love the Z1R. I don't think I'd want to part with either. I completely get what you're saying about how natural IE 900 sounds - I've sold Fourte, Legend X and EVO since getting IE 900, and mainly because of how 'easy and natural' the Senns sound with almost any music. IE 900 are also the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used, which makes them the first I reach for when I don't want to fuss and just listen to music.

But, BUT, to me Z1R is a step up, sonically and technically. There's not much in it at this level, but even a slight improvement or refinement on an already outstanding IEM like IE 900 is a big deal, and Z1R does both. Of course that's just my subjective opinion based on the music I listen to, tips I use, sources I pair with, and the fact that Z1R fit me like a glove (I'm one of the chosen few in that regard). So much so that I've ended my IEM journey with these two, and it'll take a massively impressive IEM to displace either of them in the foreseeable future.

2022_03 copy.jpg

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #2,969 of 4,837
I love the IE 900. I love the Z1R. I don't think I'd want to part with either. I completely get what you're saying about how natural IE 900 sounds - I've sold Fourte, Legend X and EVO since getting IE 900, and mainly because of how 'easy and natural' the Senns sound with almost any music. IE 900 are also the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used, which makes them the first I reach for when I don't want to fuss and just listen to music.

But, BUT, to me Z1R is a step up, sonically and technically. There's not much in it at this level, but even a slight improvement or refinement on an already outstanding IEM like IE 900 is a big deal, and Z1R does both. Of course that's just my subjective opinion based on the music I listen to, tips I use, sources I pair with, and the fact that Z1R fit me like a glove (I'm one of the chosen few in that regard). So much so that I've ended my IEM journey with these two, and it'll take a massively impressive IEM to displace either of them in the foreseeable future.

2022_03 copy.jpg
Thank , Sound only ,U like which One ?

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,970 of 4,837
Thank , Sound only ,U like which One ?
If I absolutely had to pick just one based on SQ alone and nothing else, it would be Z1R, but luckily I don't have to choose.

As soon as you take other factors into account the choice becomes even more difficult, and there are definitely times where I'd pick IE 900 first (which is why I have both).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back