Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #2,402 of 4,836
Soundguys rated IE900's durability at 7/10, I wonder how can one top a single chunk of aluminium? I guess due to worldwide vibranium/uru alloy shortages there is little room for improvement? In my opinion full metal body gets top marks unless it's chip prone like the CFA lineup...
Mmcx, while really really convenient, is a definite durability risk. I imagine he's focusing on that.

Does anyone here prefer the LCDI4 over the IE900? I have not heard either of them but I'm curious to know if there's a clear winner between the two when used with a AK DAP.
Here I imagine EQ is put into play. Then ie900 comes ahead after EQ. Its more practical, and despite ie900 being more sealed, can sound diffused like the open i4 (even more so when using Spiraldots tips, and optionally, crossfeed).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,403 of 4,836
I've just had another (of now many) spiritual experiences with the IE 900, revisiting (excuse the pun) one of the most exquisite new age/folk/Celtic vocal albums ever made: Loreena McKennitt's The Visit.

images - 2021-09-24T170227.544.jpeg

You can stream it here: https://album.link/za/i/67628462

Highlights include the bass of the rhythmic drums in The Old Ways, the crisp, tingling treble in the guitar plucks on Cymbeline, and if Loreena's pure, powerful, mesmerising voice in the telling of the Lady of Shalott doesn't bring you to tears, nothing will.

I haven't heard this album for several years now, and noticed it was just released in Hi-Res, which prompted a listen, and for the first time with the IE 900.

Do yourselves a favour, find a comfortable recliner, sofa or bed, dim the lights, and savour it in one sitting. It's an experience like no other. To say it's the most emotional rendition of The Visit I've heard in all my years enjoying this magical album would be underselling it. Simply transcendent.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,404 of 4,836
Mmcx, while really really convenient, is a definite durability risk. I imagine he's focusing on that.
While your point makes sense, FH5 review makes it moot.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,405 of 4,836
Does anyone here prefer the LCDI4 over the IE900? I have not heard either of them but I'm curious to know if there's a clear winner between the two when used with a AK DAP.
Keep in mind the LCDi4 is an open back and comes with its own Cipher cable for iPhone (lightening termination). I haven't heard the 4, but I have the 3 and it doesn't sound nearly as good without the Cipher. I prefer the IE900.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,406 of 4,836
With an AK DAP (I suppose you already own one.. or more) I would go for the IE900.

I own the LCD-i4 for 4 years (and 19 days to be precise :ksc75smile:) and I will probably never sell them as it is still the IEM I listen and enjoy the most but IMHO they need:
1) Audeze Reveal Plugin (tonality is off and you cannot correct it properly on an AK DAP as their EQ is hm.. not really an EQ)
2) Chord Hugo 2 (pair made in heaven, literally like they were designed for each other)

Back to the IE900.. roughly 10 days in.
I currently use them with a Linum Bax (I almost forgot I have this cable, didn't use it for almost 2 years.. so light it literally disappears) and Ortofon Eartips (which accentuate a bit the treble pickiness and tame the bass.. so I'm not really sure why I'm using them, probably just to properly test all the options :ksc75smile:.. will switch back to Symbio W tomorrow) out of an SP1000Cu+Amp. I still think they're a keeper. Well done Sennheiser!

Thinking about ordering the Azla SednaEarFit XELASTEC.. anyone tested these properly on the IE900?

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,407 of 4,836
Thinking about ordering the Azla SednaEarFit XELASTEC.. anyone tested these properly on the IE900?
Yes and while I have really enjoyed em’ with bassy or let’s say very warm iem with a longer bass decay like the earsonics stark, the XELASTEC quite ruin the tonal balance and musicality of ie 900 .. but it’s a matter of taste of course

Do not know for the crystal nonetheless

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,408 of 4,836
So im planning to get a new DAC+AMP to go with the IE900. I narrowed my choices down to either go with a RME ADI-2 DAC or the Topping D90SE+A90 Stack. Powerwise they both should also serve for overears.

Which would you take especially regarding getting the most out of the IE900?

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,409 of 4,836
So im planning to get a new DAC+AMP to go with the IE900. I narrowed my choices down to either go with a RME ADI-2 DAC or the Topping D90SE+A90 Stack. Powerwise they both should also serve for overears.

I'd get a DAP.

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,410 of 4,836

I'm all about portability (been that way for going on 9 years, tbh), so I'd likewise opt for a totl DAP. That said, if I was getitng a desktop solution today, I have a strong bias in favor of the RME ADI-2 (owned by a friend; very versatile device).

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,412 of 4,836
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #2,413 of 4,836

I have the RME and a topping A30pro with a DX 160 as source and although I have not a lot of hours on either combination I really do enjoy them both tremendously.

If I had to choose one, my personal choice would be the RME, as I make good use of a lot of the functions like loudness (with active monitors) or crossfeed.
But I believe both of your shortlisted solutions should get you the most out of the IE900.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #2,414 of 4,836
Getting most out of the IE900 was more of a requirement for the desktop
On that point your totally right.. the ie900 reach another level with full desktop.. true for every iem.. and as already mentioned it is way better with AUDIRVANA studio. SE 200 can't just touch it even with a simple Audioquest COBALT. and with my luxman DA 150 it's stellar.. a friend of mine add a good external power supply to the ADI2 and I admit it's quite an upgrade!!!

IMHO if you are willing to go with separate elements I would prioritize a very good amp first... DAC has too be good but it's not as much important in the overall result.. just a personal consideration.. and moreover DAC quality changes fast...

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #2,415 of 4,836
Don't really like them too much with the ie900. I like the crystals more in general, though, so my opinion may be biased. With the ie900 I'm still using the Acoustune aet07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back