Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #2,386 of 4,854
Unpopular opinion, but M9 is a better iem :)
I would have said different a month or 2 ago ( and i think i did, still being under the wow-effect of IE900 ), but now having sold both, i rate M9 higher.
More balanced, more technical, better tonality in the mids, with highs not as sharp. Also with tips and cables that are actually useful, and it's slightly cheaper as well.
Bass is the main argument for IE900, but i don't care so much about it anyway, both dynamic and BA bass is fine with me.

You were right - I’m keeping the M9 and returning the IE900. Unfortunately it was an easier battle than I originally had been anticipating. It was fairly easy to hear how many more details the M9 was picking up and I preferred how much more the sound surrounded me vs the IE900 feeling like it was too much in my head. To top it off, while the bass was better on the IE900 it wasn’t leagues better as I had been initially expecting

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,387 of 4,854
My listening of the M9 is being two years old so can’t really compare but from approximative memory it was a more relax presentation.. not really same signature no? Why not keeping both:) out of subject here but I remember a very good coherency anyway and at that time I prefered it to OG Solaris .. but there was just something with the punch I was missing .. loved the soundstage presentation

For general audience : the ie 900 with a good silver cable + singled end connection is excellent and take (as frequently with single end) the stage presentation a little back.. love the way the tuning react with simple option like :

ears tips (for now I stay with Sedna classic but the light version tames the sub if wanted and bring the mids for front.. none is bad and waiting the ACOUSTUNE .. the RADIUS had the best fit but take details off

balanced to singled end for more relax presentation

cable

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #2,388 of 4,854
For general audience : the ie 900 with a good silver cable + singled end connection is excellent and take (as frequently with single end) the stage presentation a little back.. love the way the tuning react with simple option like :

ears tips (for now I stay with Sedna classic but the light version tames the sub if wanted and bring the mids for front.. none is bad and waiting the ACOUSTUNE .. the RADIUS had the best fit but take details off

balanced to singled end for more relax presentation

cable
Any recommendations where to buy a good cable without going full custom?

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #2,389 of 4,854
The 30 hz can be dealt to a certain point with différents tips.. as for the mid if it’s a concern indeed a bit of élévation in the 3-4 kHz area sets everything right BUT :
- eq are always a two blade sword as i always find a Kind of « i don’t what » effect on transparency (saying that good résults with a simple Bell with FAB FILTER plug in with AUDIRVĀNA)
- i prefer change the iem
- it’s not the iem i bought .. may be silly but i’m a simplicity (obsession :)) man : one iem at once no eq

Reaching the 100 hrs i would say the sub got more control, the mid bass also, the very slight peak at 7kz just came down and it is a truly magical iem .. as someone Stated you forgot How immediately good they are until you hang on again.. so cool

Don’t know if i’m the only one but i got far better sound with AUDIRVĀNA STUDIO and a simple AUDIOQUEST COBALT than with the AK SE 200 .. a lot better ..but not a nomad config anymore i admit .. but soundstage depth become so huge.. everything is better

@Infoseeker you got the VR1 : you prefer that signature over the ie 900?

VR1 has as good bass control as ie900. Mids are more to my preference. But treble will feel relatively darker in comparison to the higher shelved treble and peaks of the ie900. VR1 can generate the last octave treble, but not to the level of the ie900. I wish the ie900 original tips fit better, they help with the ie900 treble peaks. I wonder if I should do that stuff the foam inside the silicone tip thing (so the thin walls don't collapse)

VR1 has more hrtf cues to its imaging. Ie900 has a pleasant diffused feeling.

Both are good, but I prefer vr1 more without EQing.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,390 of 4,854
Thanks ! this is a model I was really looking at.

Any recommendations where to buy a good cable without going full custom?
Outch!! There are many .. I have two cable from NULL AUDIO one silver and one copper.. very good QPR and service but not the top tiers if this is what you want. After you got very serious provider also with PW AUDIO, EFFECT AUDIO, PLUS SOUND, ELECTECH.

i also have a RHAPSODIO SILVER WIZARD II which is Exceptional but in 2 PIN and cost the ie 900 price .. but really another level

May you should try in neutral cable and not a too bright one with the IE 900 .. The PENON OSG seems to have very good price/performances ratio.. which anyway stumble veeeeerrrry quickly

on the EA THREAD @Deezel177 report that CLEOPATRA is one of the most popular association in SINGAPORE.. I’m also thinking of LEONIDAS II

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,391 of 4,854
Outch!! There are many .. I have two cable from NULL AUDIO one silver and one copper.. very good QPR and service but not the top tiers if this is what you want. After you got very serious provider also with PW AUDIO, EFFECT AUDIO, PLUS SOUND, ELECTECH.

i also have a RHAPSODIO SILVER WIZARD II which is Exceptional but in 2 PIN and cost the ie 900 price .. but really another level

May you should try in neutral cable and not a too bright one with the IE 900 .. The PENON OSG seems to have very good price/performances ratio.. which anyway stumble veeeeerrrry quickly

on the EA THREAD @Deezel177 report that CLEOPATRA is one of the most popular association in SINGAPORE.. I’m also thinking of LEONIDAS II
I'll be reviewing the @EffectAudio Cleopatra with the IE 900 in the next few weeks. Watch this space.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,393 of 4,854
Honestly buying one very good -and expensive cable - can really makes sens if you have possibility to swap connectors such the EA CONX system .. someone report on this thread the MMCX connectors works perfectly (@gLer ?)
Yes, and that's exactly what I've done with my custom Cardas Clear cable. I so have the Cleopatra ConX as mentioned above. It's an ingenious system that's greatly added to the value and enjoyment of my favourite @doctorjuggles high-end cable.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,395 of 4,854
I got Effect Audio Ares II with ConX termination and just love it. Also memory wire is more comfortable.
I didn't find anymore the ARES II on EA Website?! Seems like it been replaced with another range?
why should there be any difference
So may I conclude - whatever the reasoning - you didn't noticed/measured any différence between the ARES II and the Stock cable? aside from the microphonic effect, it suggests the stock is not that bad!! :thinking:

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,396 of 4,854
So may I conclude - whatever the reasoning - you didn't noticed/measured any différence between the ARES II and the Stock cable? aside from the microphonic effect, it suggests the stock is not that bad!! :thinking:
I think the stock IE900 cable is great. I don't even mind the microphonics or memory wire so much, and the connectors are top notch. Obviously there are 'better' cables but I think you'll have to spend well over $300 if not more to better the SQ of the stock cable.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,397 of 4,854
Stock thick memory wire gets in the way of my fit. Quirk of my big ear shape I guess. A new fit using a different cable leads to a better sound for me.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,398 of 4,854
Just got my Beyerdynamic Xelento Eartips. Works brilliant on the IE900. Im using very large tips which sit quite a bit futher away from the eardrum then the stock tips. Result is a very similar control of the trebble compared to the stock tips without having the foam while also being a lot more comfortable in my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,399 of 4,854
I've tried the aet07 and the azla crystal tips recently, both sound really good imo. Aet07 is very comfortable, but I like the azla crystal sound a tad more. Also the crystal also looks really sleek on my ie900.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #2,400 of 4,854
Soundguys rated IE900's durability at 7/10, I wonder how can one top a single chunk of aluminium? I guess due to worldwide vibranium/uru alloy shortages there is little room for improvement? In my opinion full metal body gets top marks unless it's chip prone like the CFA lineup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back