Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #902 of 4,833
Hey Everyone!
Massive catching up from me (let’s not even talk about how many hours I’ve been just reading, but you guys have been absolutely fantastic helping eachother out, dropping impressions, music suggestions... I’m making many discoveries myself!

I added a scattering of the tracks mentioned in this thread to the IE 900 Synergy playlist on Spotify (which everyone should be able to access with Head-Fi’s web widgets, or add to with a free account), so that people could take an additional sampling of some of the tunes discussed here! I would like to request that we don’t add 50 tracks from the same genre... variety is good, and if someone adds 50 similar tracks it becomes difficult to play through to hear anyone else’s additions. Maybe add your top 10?

Tidal has a larger Classical collection than Spotify, I was able to find several of the tracks here and add them to the playlist tonight:
https://tidal.com/playlist/762e9e09-81a0-410e-b969-e799fefaa2bb

There have been a few messages I wanted to comment on in case they help many people... or sometimes just because I want to 😁

Yes! For me, the medium tips mostly fit, but the seal isn’t solid, and I get a better seal with the smaller tips ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Plus more comfort.

Hey, my birth year! Thanks for sharing all your impressions! And please take care of 1986 😉
IE900Club

Loving the music sharing!

The IE 900 are a closed-back principle with good isolation... there is just a bass vent port on each earpiece. The sound doesn’t leak because of these ports... it just helps enhance the bass presence 👍

I tried to illustrate with accessories pictures in the IE 300 and IE 900 threads 😅 But I’m glad many other people are picking it up and sharing the tips!

It depends... sometimes a CIEM can fit perfectly. My experience was that my ears vary shape too much... my impressions were made right after getting my ears cleaned, and the CIEMs that arrived had a somewhat loose fit, but even ignoring my specific situation the fit of CIEMs will vary with time and environmental factors. Opening your jaw causes the shape of our ear canals to change, yet acrylic and even silicone shells don’t flex much. Silicone and foam universal tips, however, are much more flexible, and you can easily update them over the course of years of ownership.

his is a good question, I’ll bring it up and confirm for you during the weekday.

While they’re still a bit hard to get ahold of, if you’re still in Pittsburgh maybe we should celebrate some of the lowered social restrictions and meet up so you can demo the pair I’m borrowing?

Hi, I know it’s tough to read about others getting a chance to audition first... but hopefully that time helps clear questions for you? The delay is simply the nature of global roll out... thousands have been made, but it’s still a challenge to get some everywhere. Definitely the goal is global availability though! Sennheiser shared in May we should be seeing wide availability in August... on the bright side, it should be much easier to secure than next gen game consoles, despite the high demand.

Hey, that’s my hometown orchestra! It certainly is wonderful to go to the orchestra, and you (I) can never go enough.
Tidal doesn’t have Mahler’s third, but it does have his Symphony No. 5:
https://tidal.com/track/61594530

Spotify does not...

Yep, that’s on Tidal! It’s always a bit hard to search Orchestral and get the matching recording... but it helps that you include the album art and screenshot of extended credits/album info!
https://tidal.com/album/145242921

Not on Spotify though 😅

Thanks for tracking down those recordings. I don't use Tidal but good to know they're available for others. The 5th is indeed also an excellent performance and recording. Nice home orchestra to have!

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #903 of 4,833
That's wonderful to read, I had a hunch. :)
What are your settings on the W2 for the IE 900?
EQ NORMAL
SDF NORMAL
HIGH GAIN
NOS
TUNE 2

Sunday melodic tribal-dub-infused downtempo, perfect for chilling in the sun - an incredible album. This is another that really needs good earphones to reveal all of the intricate details.

https://shop.silentseason.com/album/gathering-of-the-ancient-spirits
I can't have enough of this Robag Wruhme
https://tidal.com/album/109403702

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #906 of 4,833
Thank you very much, when I receive the W2 I'll try those settings out. I'll use my Chord Mojopoly and Vorzüge Vorzamp Pure II stack until then.
Nothing wrong with those, enjoy 🍻👍

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #909 of 4,833
There is nothing proprietary about the stock tips. There is no protected or shielded intellectual property that is built into them that prevents anyone from making their own version. The nozzle receptacle is a very simple specification: a cylinder-shaped cavity with a defined diameter and length.
Exactly. There's nothing special about the supplied tips. You tip roll every IEM to your liking, and this one is no different.
I think there is a special thing going on with the original IE900 supplied tips. There is a damping filter in there. For me it’s absolutely audible. Highs are tamed down. For me overall clarity is not the same with other tips without that filter material. On the other hand without this filter it is a little to hot treblewise for me sometimes.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #910 of 4,833
So since my issue with the medium silicone tip not sealing great in my left ear, I’ve been back using the the medium foam. I’ve found that not trying to force a deep seal, like I’ve always done with Shure iems for example, can get the same sonic qualities I like with the silicone along with similar comfort.
All I do now is gently push the the foam into my ear until I’ve achieved a seal, it’s still in my ear but I don’t push it as deep as possible.
I find this gives a more open sound like I get with the Silicone but with a guaranteed seal and better isolation, it’s a win win.
worth a try for anyone still not settled on stock tip.
Ps : Paolo Nutini is sounding incredible on the IE900, what a voice!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #911 of 4,833
I think there is a special thing going on with the original IE900 supplied tips. There is a damping filter in there. For me it’s absolutely audible. Highs are tamed down. For me overall clarity is not the same with other tips without that filter material. On the other hand without this filter it is a little to hot treblewise for me sometimes.
Wait, what? Can we confirm if the stock tips really do have a special filter in them? This would make tip-rolling difficult.

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #912 of 4,833
Wait, what? Can we confirm if the stock tips really do have a special filter in them? This would make tip-rolling difficult.
We can clearly see IE900 tips have a filter inside the tube, which has a necessary impact on sound.
More over, the holes of the IE900 tubes are larger than most aftermarket tips I own (even sony's IER-Z1R hybrid's tips) or shorter like Xelento which has a much shorter tube than IE 900.
So for sure, if we use another brand's tips, they will change the sound of the IE900 (In a bad or a good way is another story).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #913 of 4,833
We can clearly see IE900 tips have a filter inside the tube, which has a necessary impact on sound.
More over, the holes of the IE900 tubes are larger than most aftermarket tips I own (even sony's IER-Z1R hybrid's tips) or shorter like Xelento which has a much shorter tube than IE 900.
So for sure, if we use another brand tips, they will change the sound of the IE900 (In a bad or a good way is another story).
I’ve pinched this from another website. Shows the foam inside the tip and it’s effect on the sound.

Sennheiser IE900 (BLU/RED) vs foam-tip with NO filter (WHT)
Frequency Response

Attachments

• 7B3A3ED4-858E-4515-8345-C1830670404B.png
    7B3A3ED4-858E-4515-8345-C1830670404B.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BD546A4C-405A-4754-BBB2-C7FDB1750CBB.jpeg
    BD546A4C-405A-4754-BBB2-C7FDB1750CBB.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 6, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #914 of 4,833
I’ve pinched this from another website. Shows the foam inside the tip and it’s effect on the sound.

Sennheiser IE900 (BLU/RED) vs foam-tip with NO filter (WHT)
Frequency Response
Interesting. Not sure I like that. Think they should've incorporated the filter in the earpiece nozzle, like Shure did on the 846.

Also interesting that, since they already have resonance chambers to smooth out peaks, why they needed more smoothing out with this filter.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #915 of 4,833
Interesting. Not sure I like that. Think they should've incorporated the filter in the earpiece nozzle, like Shure did on the 846.

Also interesting that, since they already have resonance chambers to smooth out peaks, why they needed more smoothing out with this filter.

Like Sony's IER Z1R, there is an important filter which looks exactly like IE900's one, just situated before the tip..
I imagine Sennheiser made all their adjustments with this filter in the calculation .. it's probably not at all added over the chambers.
It looks like Sony and Sennheiser need this type of filter for giving a nicer sound signature.
Maybe Sennheiser is using this filter as a double function .. sound signature and and a good wax protection (easier to change than Sony)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back