Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #31 of 4,836
For context, fit is identical to IE 300. The reviews that mention fit are positive. The cable orientation and nozzle angle give it a pocket-like seal. Hope you get to try one!
I've gotten in contact with your Sydney store, hopefully they can be here for demo soon.

May 11, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #32 of 4,836
Sennheiser feels no shame when it comes to the HD 800S. Keep an eye out for the next time Sennheiser Consumer announces a livestream Q&A/Ask Me Anything session, because last time we had chief product manager and intelligent fellow Jermo Koehnke mentioned the unique design of the ring radiator drivers and some of the advanced features unique to the HD 800S. It’s great that there are other flavors of tuning and artistry on the market, but currently Sennheiser remains true to the HD 800S and upcoming HD 8xx as the most advanced expression of the target they were aiming for.

May 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #33 of 4,836
Hope you refer to New flagship headphone hd900 :D . It is shame that Focal who started only in 2016 the headphone business put in shame the legendary hd800S with the Utopia . I hope Sennheiser Will strike back with even better headphone :)

Building a TOTL headphone and building a reliable TOTL headphone are two separate things.

Focal knows the first but not the second besides Focal have been in the high end business since the 70s and yet their headphones suffer bass distortion and fragile drivers not to mention easily soiled earpads.

I was discussing Sennheiser plastic with an OEM manufacturer and we both came to the conclusion that Sennheiser plastic is probably better quality than the metal in a lot of headphones. The existence of Sennheiser cans from the 60s onwards with intact plastic is a testimony to their quality and processes.

That said, looking forward to the HD900 to join my crew of Sennheisers.

May 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #35 of 4,836
I like anything that's Made in Germany.
Sauerkraut seems like an acquired taste though😄😄.

I prefer German optics (cheaper than the Swiss and Americans and probably better), drive German cars (MBZ) though not to mention my collection of Sennheisers, Ultrasones and Beyerdynamics and RMEs.

The HD820 with its glass back is just top notch industrial design but also a thing of beauty in my opinion. It stands next to the Fostex TH900 in my display stand.

I, ll quit fanboying now, back to scheduled programming.

May 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #36 of 4,836
Sauerkraut seems like an acquired taste though😄😄.

I prefer German optics (cheaper than the Swiss and Americans and probably better), drive German cars (MBZ) though not to mention my collection of Sennheisers, Ultrasones and Beyerdynamics and RMEs.

The HD820 with its glass back is just top notch industrial design but also a thing of beauty in my opinion. It stands next to the Fostex TH900 in my display stand.

I, ll quit fanboying now, back to scheduled programming.
I would like a Zeiss Harpia 95. One day, trough.

May 11, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 4,836
I'm really surprised that Sennheiser has already announced a new flagship model of its high-end in-ear line. But- just because of usability - it was surely motivated and justified.
The brand new IE900 has got an over the ear wearing, much better ear tips, better, fully interchangable cable, etc. About the sound: bass is surely stronger, but I'm curious about the soundstage improvements. Do you have guys any information about that?

May 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #38 of 4,836
The only headphones I'd replace my HD800S with is a pair of HD900s 😏

May 11, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #39 of 4,836
I'm really surprised that Sennheiser has already announced a new flagship model of its high-end in-ear line. But- just because of usability - it was surely motivated and justified.
The brand new IE900 has got an over the ear wearing, much better ear tips, better, fully interchangable cable, etc. About the sound: bass is surely stronger, but I'm curious about the soundstage improvements. Do you have guys any information about that?
You ain't gonna see it on a 'frequency chart', I can tell you that!

May 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #41 of 4,836
Sennheiser feels no shame when it comes to the HD 800S. Keep an eye out for the next time Sennheiser Consumer announces a livestream Q&A/Ask Me Anything session, because last time we had chief product manager and intelligent fellow Jermo Koehnke mentioned the unique design of the ring radiator drivers and some of the advanced features unique to the HD 800S. It’s great that there are other flavors of tuning and artistry on the market, but currently Sennheiser remains true to the HD 800S and upcoming HD 8xx as the most advanced expression of the target they were aiming for.
I don't want to digress too far, but I absolutely love - and use - the HD 25. Such a great headphone. The value in any product is in its actual long-term usage. So what is good in this respect is that the IE900 will have a shelf live of at least 6-7 years...more than the competition.

I had to congratulate Jermo a while ago for not changing the IE 500 PRO despite the criticism. Good to be consistent.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #42 of 4,836
Great review Jude! I'm a little surprised that these are not Wireless as has been the direction lately. What is your opinion of Wireless ear and head phones currently on the market?

My first pair was the Apple Powerbeats Pro. Could not believe j how nice it was without the wires! They sound pretty decent too. I use these for my daily 3 mile Dog walk ...currently sporting the Apple AirPods Max on the walk and really enjoy them....while not like my HD 800S....they still sound great for portable use...

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

May 11, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #44 of 4,836
Building a TOTL headphone and building a reliable TOTL headphone are two separate things.

Focal knows the first but not the second besides Focal have been in the high end business since the 70s and yet their headphones suffer bass distortion and fragile drivers not to mention easily soiled earpads.

I was discussing Sennheiser plastic with an OEM manufacturer and we both came to the conclusion that Sennheiser plastic is probably better quality than the metal in a lot of headphones. The existence of Sennheiser cans from the 60s onwards with intact plastic is a testimony to their quality and processes.

That said, looking forward to the HD900 to join my crew of Sennheisers.

Reliability concerns of the driver is a big reason I’m cautious to get a Focal headphone and a big reason I don’t want to delve into expensive planardynamics. I basically started sticking with mostly Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics because I know the products will last. There is nothing wrong with plastics in the Sennheisers, they may not necessarily feel as premium as some other headphones, but they are durable. Im not worried about Sennheisers breaking, in the end I’d rather have a reliable headphone than something fancier but more fragile, especially on an expensive headphone as I want it to last. I’m eyeing and waiting for the next full-size flagship Sennheisers comes out with.

May 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #45 of 4,836
Reliability concerns of the driver is a big reason I’m cautious to get a Focal headphone and a big reason I don’t want to delve into expensive planardynamics. I basically started sticking with mostly Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics because I know the products will last. There is nothing wrong with plastics in the Sennheisers, they may not necessarily feel as premium as some other headphones, but they are durable. Im not worried about Sennheisers breaking, in the end I’d rather have a reliable headphone than something fancier but more fragile, especially on an expensive headphone as I want it to last. I’m eyeing and waiting for the next full-size flagship Sennheisers comes out with.
Same here. I like other products, but none of the planars or Focal headphones will ever be as reliable as German headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back