Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 22, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,306 of 4,913
So you returned it solely based on comfort?
That’s how it should be lol
Would you wear a shoe that’s uncomfortable? I wouldn’t haha

I found the IE900 uncomfortable, with inconsistent sound, inconsistent fit across tips (requires me to re buy tips in either a larger or smaller size due to stock tips not being any good), tips significantly altered sound, need to replace the finicky cable, and since there’s suitable options for less money I don’t see any point using it.

I experimented for two hours. I shouldn’t have to put in this much work for a product to work. I suspect if this was a generic chifi product, there wouldn’t be as many apologists. I will try one more time today (before I ship it off) as I have MEST MKII coming in, I would like to do a sound comparison at very least.

I will say the brief moments I got it to work, I found the bass to be better than the Legend X. No other iem has managed to stand toe to toe, let alone win out compared to Legend X. Very impressive tuning.

Edit: To the PM's coming in, if anyone is looking to replace stock cable, I can recc DUNU Blanche. Great cable, flows well.

Edit 2: ie900 seems to use a special implemented mmcx, so not all mmcx cables will work...the plot thickens haha

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,307 of 4,913
I found the IE900 uncomfortable, with inconsistent sound, inconsistent fit across tips (requires me to re buy tips in either a larger or smaller size due to stock tips not being any good), tips significantly altered sound, need to replace the finicky cable, and since there’s suitable options for less money I don’t see any point using it.

I experimented for two hours. I shouldn’t have to put in this much work for a product to work. I suspect if this was a generic chifi product, there wouldn’t be as many apologists. I will try one more time today (before I ship it off) as I have MEST MKII coming in, I would like to do a sound comparison at very least.
I liked the sound right away, but i agree that stock cable and tips didn't provide the comfort i was looking for.
I had better options for both already, but yeah, this extra cost needs to be factored in, even if it doesn't have to be much, there are very cheap cables that will fit after a quick and easy modification.
For me it's still worth it, and it has nothing to do with chifi or western origin, just nothing else in this price range could give me the same combination of sound and comfort.

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,309 of 4,913
Huh, interesting. There's a user in the DUNU cables thread who told me his DUNU Blanche MMCX connectors do not fit in the IE 900 sockets.
Oh interesting. The connectors look like standard MMCX...I just assumed any MMCX would work.

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,311 of 4,913
I just asked you the same question on Discord. Another thing to add to your CONS list 😅
I would have tested this personally, but I sold all my iems during the great Mason FS purge. If Sennheiser does a closed back headphone with this tuning...throws money at screen

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,312 of 4,913
Oh interesting. The connectors look like standard MMCX...I just assumed any MMCX would work.
Unfortunately there is no way to use the DUNU Blanche with the IE 900s.

The cable connector (6.1mm diameter) does not fit into the IEM recess.

E661CE9B-8BC1-4967-A34C-A5108AFE14D7.jpeg

The Effect Audio ConX connectors instead perfectly match:

22B34903-4BCE-42A2-AB86-EF4E87737B1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,313 of 4,913
Unfortunately there is no way to use the DUNU Blanche with the IE 900s.

The cable connector (6.1mm diameter) does not fit into the IEM recess.

E661CE9B-8BC1-4967-A34C-A5108AFE14D7.jpeg

Damn, that's a bummer. I'm sure there will be a flurry of third party cables available soon given the ie900's popularity.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,314 of 4,913
My Brise cable on a bit of a world tour having started in Japan, on to China, Belgium, now France - hopefully Ireland next!

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,315 of 4,913
Damn, that's a bummer. I'm sure there will be a flurry of third party cables available soon given the ie900's popularity.
they are already many cheap balanced cables for IE300 IE900 on alibaba ...

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,316 of 4,913
they are already many cheap balanced cables for IE300 IE900 on alibaba ...
Glad to hear! Shouldn’t have to do cable shopping (to cure usability shortcomings) with a flagship, especially from Senn no less. At this level, I expect the usability to be great out of the box.

Senn should take a note out of Moondrop Blessing 2’s playbook or Sony with their IER.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,317 of 4,913
Just got my pair in!

A couple quick first impressions...

They are quite small and lightweight. They seem pretty comfortable to me so far and kind of disappear into my ears. Longer listening sessions will be needed to determine how comfort actually holds up and whether any pressure points develop.

The cables as everyone have said are ok. Definitely kind of microphonic even with the ear hooks. Other than that, feels pretty premium.

For sound. I think I was expecting more bass, as I am finding them overall sounding brighter and leaner than I was expecting. Though this might be due to tips used and the unconventional shape of the iem and shorter nozzle.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,318 of 4,913
Just got my pair in!

A couple quick first impressions...

They are quite small and lightweight. They seem pretty comfortable to me so far and kind of disappear into my ears. Longer listening sessions will be needed to determine how comfort actually holds up and whether any pressure points develop.

The cables as everyone have said are ok. Definitely kind of microphonic even with the ear hooks. Other than that, feels pretty premium.

For sound. I think I was expecting more bass, as I am finding them overall sounding brighter and leaner than I was expecting. Though this might be due to tips used and the unconventional shape of the iem and shorter nozzle.

So not a Nio replacement?

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,319 of 4,913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back