Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,976 of 4,849
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #3,977 of 4,849
Old Sony NW-ZX300 for me connected to ie900 via 4.4mm

Vintage HiFi for me, can't beat the vintage stuff. :)

Edit I'm in Cambridge today with this setup. It's raining a bit, does anyone else use their ie900 in showery weather?

Anyway if you are in Cambridge today and you see me say hi. 😉

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #3,978 of 4,849
I've been happy with the Sennheiser IE Pro tips. Thicker than the stock tips yet very comfortable.
I assume if you wear a M in the stock tips then it would be a M in the IE stock tips?

The stock tips aren’t “stiff” or firm enough for me,if that makes sense. The JVC spiral dots in ML fit me best and that’s cause they’re stiffer or more firm than the stock tips but I don’t like the way they make the ie900 sound.

Are the pro tips a bit firmer?

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #3,980 of 4,849
I assume if you wear a M in the stock tips then it would be a M in the IE stock tips?

The stock tips aren’t “stiff” or firm enough for me,if that makes sense. The JVC spiral dots in ML fit me best and that’s cause they’re stiffer or more firm than the stock tips but I don’t like the way they make the ie900 sound.

Pro tips are firmer and the shape is a bit rounder/ conical

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,981 of 4,849
why don't u use mbp 14" with IE900 instead? Sound fantastic to me... :)
I've done this and it's actually decent! The new audio circuitry has enough power and comes across very clean. I pack my Dragonfly Red inside the IE series zip case and tend to default to that but have had a few situations where I needed all of the usb-c ports and went direct.. not too shabby.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,982 of 4,849

I agree with @ssantan2. Yes, they're stiffer than the stock, but less stiff than the spiral dots. I've found the IE Pro tips give me a great seal. They're also pliant enough to be very comfortable. I can wear them for hours at a time.

My preference is to remove the foam plug and place them in the outer position. It helps to use an o-ring (4.5 x 1.5 mm) to keep them from slipping back down.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,983 of 4,849
I agree with @ssantan2. Yes, they're stiffer than the stock, but less stiff than the spiral dots. I've found the IE Pro tips give me a great seal. They're also pliant enough to be very comfortable. I can wear them for hours at a time.

My preference is to remove the foam plug and place them in the outer position. It helps to use an o-ring (4.5 x 1.5 mm) to keep them from slipping back down.
Just confirming, are the IE Pro tips foam or silicone? From the stock tips, the foam fits and sounds best for me. Are there different models of the Pro from Sennheiser for different IEMs?

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,985 of 4,849
Just confirming, are the IE Pro tips foam or silicone? From the stock tips, the foam fits and sounds best for me. Are there different models of the Pro from Sennheiser for different IEMs?
I'm referring the silicon tips. There is a very small foam plug at the end of the nozzle. That's the part I remove.

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #3,986 of 4,849

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. Do you have a pic of what you’re taking about in the second paragraph with an o-ring? Is what you’re talking about to prevent the new tips from moving to the second position once they’re inserted?
Pro tips are firmer and the shape is a bit rounder/ conical
Thank you. I ordered some today and they’ll be here next week. I hope they work out.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,987 of 4,849
One thing I noticed is the medium pro tips are slightly larger than the medium stock tips. Abd yeah the o ring stops it from moving to the second position. I didn't have o rings so I cut the tip of the stem off some tips that don't fit me and used that

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,988 of 4,849
Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. Do you have a pic of what you’re taking about in the second paragraph with an o-ring? Is what you’re talking about to prevent the new tips from moving to the second position once they’re inserted?
Yes, the o-rings keep the tips from moving back to the second position. Here's a link to the images I posted earlier. I've found that the best size o-ring is 4.5 mm inner diameter by 1.5 mm thickness. 2.0 mm thickness also works.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,989 of 4,849
Yes, the o-rings keep the tips from moving back to the second position. Here's a link to the images I posted earlier. I've found that the best size o-ring is 4.5 mm inner diameter by 1.5 mm thickness. 2.0 mm thickness also works.
That is a really great idea. Thank you for the image. Where can I get O-rings like that?

Thanks again for the response. This is really my first foray into IEMs for like 20 years so everything is different. Finding the right ear tips has been a real challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back