Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #3,931 of 4,848
Interesting. So far I understood the IE900 has more bass rumble/slam/everything than the IE600...
I would agree that if the recorded track has more slam and rumble present in it, you'll hear it with greater clarity using the 900. You'll feel it more with the 600. YMMV also depending on tips, which many roll in order to obtain a profile they favor (example: more bass push from the 900 vs stock tips).

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #3,932 of 4,848
I would agree that if the recorded track has more slam and rumble present in it, you'll hear it with greater clarity using the 900. You'll feel it more with the 600. YMMV also depending on tips, which many roll in order to obtain a profile they favor (example: more bass push from the 900 vs stock tips).

Your comment, “hearing” versus “feeling” is interesting. Which do you believe results in a bigger smile? Personally, as I listen to Boz Scaggs with my IE 600 set, I’d like to believe it’s the latter…

#jussayin

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,933 of 4,848
Your comment, “hearing” versus “feeling” is interesting. Which do you believe results in a bigger smile? Personally, as I listen to Boz Scaggs with my IE 600 set, I’d like to believe it’s the latter…

#jussayin
It depends on the listener TBH. I can appreciate both, and I think many here can recognize that they have times when they want to feel it and times when they want to analyze it. The 900 gave me a huge smile because I felt like I was cheating at a video game with transient and room detail. Then the 600 comes along and gives me a smile because I couldn't trick it into sounding offensive, no matter the genre. I know this is why the 600/900 are special because it can be both for many listeners. Might be time for a poll!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #3,934 of 4,848
Looking for replacement tips. Been using OEM foam (small) since orig purchase of IE900 (June 2021).
Sennheiser (official site) says out of stock.
I've heard that the tip nozzle of OEM (with those vanes) tune sound that 3rd party manufs don't provide.
Need a solution!
Maybe Comply?

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,935 of 4,848
Looking for replacement tips. Been using OEM foam (small) since orig purchase of IE900 (June 2021).
Sennheiser (official site) says out of stock.
I've heard that the tip nozzle of OEM (with those vanes) tune sound that 3rd party manufs don't provide.
Need a solution!
Maybe Comply?
I'm using the Spinfit CP145 and it fits better than the stock ones.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #3,936 of 4,848
I'm using the Spinfit CP145 and it fits better than the stock ones.
Thanks for that comment!
Please realize that I prefer FOAM as I noted.
Did the Spinfit change the sonic charac. of IE900?
Not sure I'd go for anything w/o a built-in foam/grille. It tunes the sound per Senn's OEM design. And it keeps debris out.
The Comply foam models do have the filter option avail. Anyone try the Comply's?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #3,937 of 4,848
Looking for after-market cable.
The OEMs are falling apart. The lamination is flaking off.
Horrible! My IE-8 (January 2009 purchase) never had issues until 6-7 years after daily use.

I've heard that the Senn IE300/600/900 can be fussy when it comes to MMCX connector. That is .... it ain't no universal MMCX connector. What are my options?

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,938 of 4,848
Horrible! My IE-8 (January 2009 purchase) never had issues until 6-7 years after daily use.

I've heard that the Senn IE300/600/900 can be fussy when it comes to MMCX connector. That is .... it ain't no universal MMCX connector. What are my options?
I recommend searching through this thread as many have posted the cables they switched to any why they liked them.

Admittedly, it would be great if someone could summarize all the compatible options — as there don’t seem to be that many — along with a description of impact on sound, microphonics, comfort, etc.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,939 of 4,848

All Effect Audio cables with ConX MMCX connectors fit perfectly on IE900.

DB08D1B4-0BE5-4B83-8103-AE2FA9315FA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,940 of 4,848
Thanks for that comment!
Please realize that I prefer FOAM as I noted.
Did the Spinfit change the sonic charac. of IE900?
Not sure I'd go for anything w/o a built-in foam/grille. It tunes the sound per Senn's OEM design. And it keeps debris out.
The Comply foam models do have the filter option avail. Anyone try the Comply's?

The stock tips that came with my IE 600s are the same, so that internal grid in the stock tips couldn’t be that important. For example, you could try tips with a narrower bore. Many have been suggested, e.g., the Final E-type tips. I tried the Finals, but I chose to go with Spinfit. The CP145s are good for isolation, and I didn’t notice them affecting the treble.

One thing I did notice with many 3rd-party tips is that the frequency response can be affected by only the slightest of orientation in the ear, as if the response would vary from day to day, and I also noticed this with the stock foams. This is one reason I settled on Spinfit, thinking there must be something to their unique tilting tip design, because their response is always consistent.

Another thing about the CP145 tips is their bore is a bit large for these Sennheiser IE drivers, and may slip off. I finally settled on the CP100+ tips.
#HTH

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #3,941 of 4,848
Sep 25, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #3,942 of 4,848

I recently received this Lavricable for my IE 900s. The ergonomics are *really* good; light weight, very supply, and extremely low microphonics.

IMG_0523.jpg

I *think* I hear sonic improvements as well: better overall definition and separation, punchier bass, and an added richness to the treble. This could easily be attributed to confirmation bias, since reviews I've read mentioned these improvements. In any case, I'm lovin' what it does for my IE 900s!!

Lavricables are made to order, so they use a connector that is a perfect match for the IE series.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,943 of 4,848
I recently received this Lavricable for my IE 900s.
In my own experiments with diy cables, using high quality [but non-botique] parts, I could ALWAYS hear a difference.
HOWEVER... the single most important cable tweak is to have it as SHORT as possible. E.g. for oem cable, cut off as close to normal daily-use lengths as you dare. The oem 2.5 jack is cheap anyway. Get a decent 2.5 , or whatever termination you prefer, and solder away.
Plenty of tips and resources for diy cables. Much less $$, way more rewarding.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,944 of 4,848
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,945 of 4,848
About that Lavricable.
W/o termination… does it look anything like…
Yes, it *looks* like it.

That may be all well and good for others. However, if you ever see me in the same room as a soldering iron, RUN as if your life depends on it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back