Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,242 of 4,849
One question, I would mainly use them with the 2.5 balanced cable, is there a good difference in sound quality with the 3.5 output?
Thank you
Depends on the source, my DX300 has enough juice to run the IE900 unbalanced but some weaker sources (e.g. dongles and various bluetooth DACs) might not be able to drive it with their 3.5 output. UP5 is an example of this, 3.5 is okay-ish at best and 4.4 is alright for on the go usage.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,243 of 4,849
One question, I would mainly use them with the 2.5 balanced cable, is there a good difference in sound quality with the 3.5 output?
Thank you
It’s not so much the cable or termination themselves that determines sound quality, but rather the source you’re connecting to. Generally speaking, balanced connections (2.5mm & 4.4mm) will sound better, due to having each channel completely separated for a cleaner signal path, reduced crosstalk, and in most cases being able to deliver more power than single-ended (3.5mm).

An exception to this is if you’re using a very sensitive IEM that’s prone to hiss or has a low impedance. In that case, you’d want to try your 3.5mm connection because it probably has less output power and possibly a lower output impedance than balanced. Luckily, IE900 isn’t overly sensitive so you shouldn’t have this issue :)

TLDR - for IE900 I’d say 2.5mm will probably sound better.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,244 of 4,849
It’s not so much the cable or termination themselves that determines sound quality, but rather the source you’re connecting to. Generally speaking, balanced connections (2.5mm & 4.4mm) will sound better, due to having each channel completely separated for a cleaner signal path, reduced crosstalk, and in most cases, being able to deliver more power than single-ended (3.5mm).

An exception to this is if you’re using a very sensitive IEM that’s prone to hiss or requires a low impedance. In that case, you’d want to try your 3.5mm connection because it probably has less output power and possibly a lower output impedance than balanced. Luckily, IE900 isn’t overly sensitive, so you shouldn’t have this issue :)

TLDR - for IE900 I’d say 2.5mm will probably sound better.
OK thank you. I am using the btr5, mainly connected by usb, but I was thinking of something more powerful and with a better battery.
how do you see the ie900 for metal music?

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #3,245 of 4,849
OK thank you. I am using the btr5, mainly connected by usb, but I was thinking of something more powerful and with a better battery.
how do you see the ie900 for metal music?
I use a Luxury & Precision W2 for my IE900. In high gain using the 4.4mm port, It powers them well and sounds excellent.

I don’t listen to a lot of metal so I’m not really qualified to comment lol, but I assume IE900’s big bass, weighty lower midrange and sparkly treble should work well for metal.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #3,246 of 4,849
My IE900 are fully burned-in... they sound FANTASTIC. I still think the MEST 2 are a tad more energetic and holographic, but the IE900 feels more "accurate" in terms of soundstage. The MEST 2 is a tad overdone, although I am a sucker for wide soundstage~

That said, if I had the IE900 first, I would never have gone customs with the MEST 2... Sennheiser outdid themselves here with this single dynamic driver. Waiting for the MMCX adaptor so I can use my 2-pin Null-Audio Cryo Silver 24 AWG cables with them~

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,247 of 4,849
I use a Luxury & Precision W2 for my IE900. In high gain using the 4.4mm port, It powers them well and sounds excellent.

I don’t listen to a lot of metal so I’m not really qualified to comment lol, but I assume IE900’s big bass, weighty lower midrange and sparkly treble should work well for metal.
I love mine with the W2 too but looking to get a DAP as well. I see you have quite a collection of DAPs. What do you think is the best pairing with regards to the DAPs that you have with the IE900? Mind doing a rank list with your collection? You can leave out DMP though :dt880smile:

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #3,248 of 4,849
I love mine with the W2 too but looking to get a DAP as well. I see you have quite a collection of DAPs. What do you think is the best pairing with regards to the DAPs that you have with the IE900? Mind doing a rank list with your collection? You can leave out DMP though :dt880smile:
My favourite DAP for IE900 is one I don't even own anymore :sweat_smile: - Cayin N6ii with the R01 module. Very nice pair up with those two.

Ranking what I own currently:

1. iBasso DX300 Max Ti
2. A&K SP2000
3. FiiO M17
4. Shanling M9

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #3,249 of 4,849
My favourite DAP for IE900 is one I don't even own anymore :sweat_smile: - Cayin N6ii with the R01 module. Very nice pair up with those two.

1. iBasso DX300 Max Ti
2. A&K SP2000
3. FiiO M17
4. Shanling M9
Much thanks! N6ii R01 is on my list as well. But it is Android 8.1. Do you think it’s still worth to get it now? I will stream on Apple Music if I get one.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #3,250 of 4,849

1. iBasso DX300 Max Ti
2. A&K SP2000
3. FiiO M17
4. Shanling M9

Much thanks! N6ii R01 is on my list as well. But it is Android 8.1. Do you think it’s still worth to get it now? I will stream on Apple Music if I get one.
Very happy IE900 + (N6ii + R01 + A02) + C9 owner here. Absolutely great sound quality and strongly musical (forgive this word) character, great synergy, very coherent and involving, just natural.

Yes, the N6ii runs on Android 8.1 - no problems at all. For players, I use UAPP and Neutron - both are top notch; I stream from Qobuz and Tidal - absolutely prefer Qobuz, Tidal as backup only, NO intention to go for Apple. If I were asked to think of a drawback of the N6ii, then I would think of its somewhat weak WiFi.

The future for the N6ii is unknown to the public AFAIK. IMHO though, the biggest concern is the future of the DAC/Amp modules, which are quite an investment, particularly if you own several. These modules are top notch hardware with lifetimes much longer than the mother unit. Wish Cayin would consider a modernized mother unit as successor to the N6ii, which re-uses the existing modules! One can dream … and keep asking Cayin on the N6ii thread here.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #3,251 of 4,849
Hello, here's another one with the ie900 on the way. I hope they are really worth it, since with the ie300 with the fiio lc-2.5d cable I am very satisfied.
I also sometimes use the fiio fa9 which are very analytical but very boring in comparison.
greetings to all from Spain and congratulations for this great community
waiting for stock and no expected date, bad luck, at least they will give me a 10 percent discount for the inconvenience.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3,252 of 4,849
I'm pretty happy using the Cayin RU6 with IE900. Good match up when I do not have space for the 3Max.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,253 of 4,849
Someone got a bigger brother :beyersmile::ksc75smile:

20220216_222650.jpg

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #3,254 of 4,849
Also wanted to ask how the other IE900 in here look by now? Today i noticed a first tiny scuff on the edge of the surface with the Logo. Tbh this is the only area where i expect scuffs to be noticable anyway but with some people carrying them on a daily basis with the two aluminium buds touching each other i cant be the only one right? Right?? :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back