Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #4,816 of 7,699
Quote:

Thank you for the info. I've tried out both JVC and AUVIO's tips. To me AUVIO's are far superior in everyway. JVC couldn't give me any good seal and the sound is horrible. AUVIO on the other hand, they provide excellent SQ. Now I am having difficult time to decide which size to stay with. M and L both works for me, L provides complete a seal, more bass, while M still offers good seal but not as good as L and bass is noticeably lighter but they are a little bit more comfortable. 

I don't believe that Sennheiser designed these to have that 'complete seal' that everyone talks about. Thanks to Burtomr I have been experimenting with both the large and medium Auvios. At his behest I switched to the large and noticed an increase in bass and a decrease in soundstage and clarity. I used them for a month then, on a whim, I switched back to the mediums. The increase in soundstage and clarity was distinct and there was a slight decrease in the bass but I discovered it was one I could easily live with as comfort was improved. Clarity is important to me as I listen to a lot of classical music so it's the mediums for me. Others may prefer the increased isolation that the large size offers. I might have ago at Burtomr's customisation idea.

The real test for me will be in late September when I take a five and a half hour flight to Perth. It might be that the large will fit the bill much better in these circumstances as I want as little plane noise as possible. The best headphones I've used to minimise aircraft noise are the Senn HD280s. I can't hear anyone speaking to me even with no music playing so they will be the benchmark

FInally, what is the indisputable in my opinion is that the Auvios are the best tips for the IE80s

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #4,817 of 7,699
I don't believe that Sennheiser designed these to have that 'complete seal' that everyone talks about. Thanks to Burtomr I have been experimenting with both the large and medium Auvios. At his behest I switched to the large and noticed an increase in bass and a decrease in soundstage and clarity. I used them for a month then, on a whim, I switched back to the mediums. The increase in soundstage and clarity was distinct and there was a slight decrease in the bass but I discovered it was one I could easily live with as comfort was improved. Clarity is important to me as I listen to a lot of classical music so it's the mediums for me. Others may prefer the increased isolation that the large size offers. I might have ago at Burtomr's customisation idea.

The real test for me will be in late September when I take a five and a half hour flight to Perth. It might be that the large will fit the bill much better in these circumstances as I want as little plane noise as possible. The best headphones I've used to minimise aircraft noise are the Senn HD280s. I can't hear anyone speaking to me even with no music playing so they will be the benchmark

FInally, what is the indisputable in my opinion is that the Auvios are the best tips for the IE80s
I don't think they designed them to be fully insulated either. I must be the only one who doesn't mind a couple of the stock tips provided. I know they don't insulate very well but once the music starts I think they sound great. I've tried other tips that may insulate better but I keep coming back to the single medium silicone stock tips. The wide soundstage remains untouched with them I find. Just my opinion. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones :)

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4,818 of 7,699
Have you tried the tape mod? It will make the mid more upfront and tamed the bass as well. i really like the sound when the bass knob is set to full before doing the tape mod.

Well, tried that, didnt really like that sound though, but now, I'm enjoying the ie80 more and more

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #4,819 of 7,699
My budget it $800 or lower. How does the asg 2 sound compared to the ie80? Is there better isolation and soundstage?

I own the IE80 and ASG2. In terms of use and love, the IE80 still is king in my book, the ASG2 is queen. However, the king is slowly losing to the queens presence and power. ASG2 is in a different league. I can hear a ton of more details with the ASG2. They are both considered fun IEMs. The IE80 for me is a more fun ride. The ASG2 can be very fun as well, however, it offers more depth and balance, presence. When comparing the two, I like the fit of the IE80 better. I'm not a memory wire lover. Also the bore of the ASG2 is thinner and the body is heavier. I love the Sennheiser medium double flanges on the 80s. However, in using them with the ASG2, they don't fit my ear anywhere close to comfort. I'm using a medium audio single now. Bass is great on both. Midbass is presented differently on both. The ASG2 presents bass with punch and then rumble. The 80 is just slightly more rumble, then punch. Soundstage is bigger slightly on the 80s. The soundstage on the ASG2s are different, but in general feel just slightly smaller.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4,821 of 7,699
I am using ie8 on their heads from the headphones Yamaha EPH100 "insulation" average, but better than in their native nozzles for ie8!:)

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #4,822 of 7,699
I'm considering a pair of IE80, can someone offer some comparisons on how they would sound versus my Hippo VB and Sony XB90EX? The other choice would be the Atrio MG7. My genre of choice is electronic (i.e. house, techno)

Can I also ask, how hard to they punch with the dial set to max? How so they respond to EQ from stock Sansa Clip+ firmware? Any distortion at high volume?

Finally, any other bassy contenders at this budget and how would they differ to IE80?

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #4,824 of 7,699
I'm considering a pair of IE80, can someone offer some comparisons on how they would sound versus my Hippo VB and Sony XB90EX? The other choice would be the Atrio MG7. My genre of choice is electronic (i.e. house, techno)

Can I also ask, how hard to they punch with the dial set to max? How so they respond to EQ from stock Sansa Clip+ firmware? Any distortion at high volume?

Finally, any other bassy contenders at this budget and how would they differ to IE80?

Ie80 over all the iems you listed for house and techno. Trust me, you will love the ie80s with house. Sometimes I even produce tracks/mix with them because of how great these work&sound. I have my vents open to the max. The xb90 is ok. But doesn't have quite the punch that is needed IMHO. There is good subbass, but overall quality is subpar compared to the ie80. The ex90 and mg7 sound very close to each other. The mg7 was way too sibilant and also mids weren't enjoyable as the ie80. You may also take look at the asg2 for house and techno. It does those genres nicely but not as well as the ie80. Ie80 has a great combo of mid and subbass with balance in the other regions depending on tip and vent opening. If you need an ie80 for cheap I am selling a brand new unopened ie80 with the serial number and receipt. It's posted on eBay. I was sent a new pair after I sent in a ie8. Give me a pm if you want. But you can't go wrong with ie80 for those genres especially if you like house and techno like me.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4,826 of 7,699
Ie80 over all the iems you listed for house and techno. Trust me, you will love the ie80s with house. Sometimes I even produce tracks/mix with them because of how great these work&sound. I have my vents open to the max. The xb90 is ok. But doesn't have quite the punch that is needed IMHO. There is good subbass, but overall quality is subpar compared to the ie80. The ex90 and mg7 sound very close to each other. The mg7 was way too sibilant and also mids weren't enjoyable as the ie80. You may also take look at the asg2 for house and techno. It does those genres nicely but not as well as the ie80. Ie80 has a great combo of mid and subbass with balance in the other regions depending on tip and vent opening. If you need an ie80 for cheap I am selling a brand new unopened ie80 with the serial number and receipt. It's posted on eBay. I was sent a new pair after I sent in a ie8. Give me a pm if you want. But you can't go wrong with ie80 for those genres especially if you like house and techno like me.

Thanks pal, might give the IE80 a go then, nearly went for the MG7. My XB90 are for sale at the moment.

How much would you want for the IE80 (to UK)?

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,828 of 7,699
UM3X is not at the same level as IE80 in my opinion. It is overly thick in mids since it has not much treble. Bass is strong but sounds bloated and it does not go very deep. Soundstage is quite small as well since everything is pushed on to your face. I really did not enjoy UM3X single bit. Ergonomics were great, I will give it that.

W4 and IE80 are amazingly similar to my ears. IE80 has more bass and wider soundstage. Mids are neither forward or recessed on both IEMs. Treble is better extended on IE80 but W4 has good extension as well. I think choice comes to how much bass you want. To me, W4 had not enough bass but for most people it will be plenty. W4 has better ergonomics as well.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,829 of 7,699
Quote:
UM3X is not at the same level as IE80 in my opinion. It is overly thick in mids since it has not much treble. Bass is strong but sounds bloated and it does not go very deep. Soundstage is quite small as well since everything is pushed on to your face. I really did not enjoy UM3X single bit. Ergonomics were great, I will give it that.

W4 and IE80 are amazingly similar to my ears. IE80 has more bass and wider soundstage. Mids are neither forward or recessed on both IEMs. Treble is better extended on IE80 but W4 has good extension as well. I think choice comes to how much bass you want. To me, W4 had not enough bass but for most people it will be plenty. W4 has better ergonomics as well.

Thanks, that's very helpful.  

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,830 of 7,699
for me the um3x are a great IEM and still one of my favourite along with ie80. the vocal is very good on the um3x very sweet and engaging. for soundstage the ie80 have bigger soundstage but the um3x soundstage is acceptable for me. the w4 is too balance and boring for my taste when i demo it so i didnt buy them in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back