Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #4,801 of 7,699
Quote:
In my opinion the best headphones ie8, they play with any player, any player pumped, unlike the armature. I believe that this is a successful model, and better than ie800!

i agree on the better than ie800 part. no matter how good the ie800 its sharp treble or sibilant on the vocal is an turn off for me. the ie80 is my favorite universal and i prefer them to custom like heir 8a(too much bass and boring treble) and the non freqphase jh16(sibilant and dry) too.
(this is all in my opinion)

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,802 of 7,699
i agree on the better than ie800 part. no matter how good the ie800 its sharp treble or sibilant on the vocal is an turn off for me. the ie80 is my favorite universal and i prefer them to custom like heir 8a(too much bass and boring treble) and the non freqphase jh16(sibilant and dry) too.
Have you heard the jh16? And you think these are better?? Good to know :) the ie80 is probably the best iem I've heard specially without a amp. I've been considering getting some higher end customs. But if you think they are better then the jh16. Wow where do I go from here then? Or do I really need to?? I knew these things were special as soon as I heard them and they have only got better with time. And to be honest as good as my w4rs sound I think these still sound better :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,803 of 7,699
Quote:

Wow :). I agree the 8As make the IE80 sound bass light in comparison. I did really like the treble on mine though. But the bass masked the sound and overall the signature was too dull for me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #4,804 of 7,699
Quote:

AUVIO's have a dual density silicone construction like Sony Hybrids. The part around the nozzle (blue) is slightly firmer than the ear flange which is softer. I think they are built far better than the typical single density tips like JVC's and the stock Sennheiser tips. Ultimately it comes down to which tips fit the best and sound the best to YOU. It is really hard to tell by reading the opinion of others, but I suggest you definately try AUVIO's especially if a Radio Shack is nearby. If you don't like 'em, or the size is wrong, you can exchange or return 'em.

Thank you for the info. I've tried out both JVC and AUVIO's tips. To me AUVIO's are far superior in everyway. JVC couldn't give me any good seal and the sound is horrible. AUVIO on the other hand, they provide excellent SQ. Now I am having difficult time to decide which size to stay with. M and L both works for me, L provides complete a seal, more bass, while M still offers good seal but not as good as L and bass is noticeably lighter but they are a little bit more comfortable. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4,805 of 7,699
Quote:
Have you heard the jh16? And you think these are better?? Good to know
smily_headphones1.gif
the ie80 is probably the best iem I've heard specially without a amp. I've been considering getting some higher end customs. But if you think they are better then the jh16. Wow where do I go from here then? Or do I really need to?? I knew these things were special as soon as I heard them and they have only got better with time. And to be honest as good as my w4rs sound I think these still sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

yep i have the non freqphase jh16 which have been sold now. it has some great things to be appreciated like its detail and clarity but the dry and sibilant sound makes me sold them because i cant stand spikes on the vocal and i find the ie80 to be better in soundstage,mid and treble. the freqphase version is awesome though. based on my experience is safer to go to the high end universal route for portable rather than highend custom because the resale value will go down.
Quote:
Wow :). I agree the 8As make the IE80 sound bass light in comparison. I did really like the treble on mine though. But the bass masked the sound and overall the signature was too dull for me.

yeah i agree with you. the bass just clouded the treble and clarity. the day before i sent my 8a for sale i try compare them to ie80 and um3x and i cant believe that i actually prefer those cheaper universal than the $1k+ custom.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #4,806 of 7,699
I would like to clarify that the Weston 3 is also a good model has a good "bass" (less than ie80) but in my opinion Weston of valves most acceptable model of course after ie8 as well, I had ue 900 and i sold it a miracle headphones because his sound was too much for me "dry"!

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #4,807 of 7,699
yep i have the non freqphase jh16 which have been sold now. it has some great things to be appreciated like its detail and clarity but the dry and sibilant sound makes me sold them because i cant stand spikes on the vocal and i find the ie80 to be better in soundstage,mid and treble. the freqphase version is awesome though. based on my experience is safer to go to the high end universal route for portable rather than highend custom because the resale value will go down.
yeah i agree with you. the bass just clouded the treble and clarity. the day before i sent my 8a for sale i try compare them to ie80 and um3x and i cant believe that i actually prefer those cheaper universal than the $1k+ custom.
Ya I know it's crazy the resale value on them things. I see people selling there 1300 dollar customs for like 500 bucks. To me that's not worth it. And to me what if I don't like the sound ,,I'm stuck with them really. To me most of these things ain't really worth there value really. But these ie80's to me out of all the ones I've bought come close to their value. I think they sound amazing. I'm no bass head by all means but these I think do it rite. It's there when its needed. And what really shocked me about them was the amount of detail they have. I would buy them again in a heartbeat:) thank you for your comment

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,808 of 7,699
Quote:

Thank you for the info. I've tried out both JVC and AUVIO's tips. To me AUVIO's are far superior in everyway. JVC couldn't give me any good seal and the sound is horrible. AUVIO on the other hand, they provide excellent SQ. Now I am having difficult time to decide which size to stay with. M and L both works for me, L provides complete a seal, more bass, while M still offers good seal but not as good as L and bass is noticeably lighter but they are a little bit more comfortable. 

Try this: Cut a flange, from another M size eartip brand you don't like or need and insert under the AUVIO M flange. In effect 'double flanging' the AUVIO. This will give you a bit tighter seal and maybe a perfect solution to your M vs L issue. This would also work for those of you out there (especially Hawaii) who don't get a good seal with the L AUVIO's: use a M flange with the L.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #4,809 of 7,699
Quote:
I've been using my ie80s with audio tips and the galaxy silver cable and I love them, but I now want an upgrade. Is there a universal out there that would be considered an upgrade, or would I need to go for a high end custom.

What are you looking to spend? If you wanna go to the top go for the Tralucent 1Plus2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-appreciation-impressions-thread

The Flat 4's are also a good option to look into.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642191/ocharaku-flat-4-sui-the-sound-of-tea

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663725/ocharaku-flat4-kuro-appreciation-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634902/ocharaku-flat-4-kaede-maple

Note I personally prefer the Sui to the Flagship Kaede which is double the price.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4,810 of 7,699
Highend universal is just as good as custom these days.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4,812 of 7,699
Does anyone use the ie80 with rockboxed ipod video? What is your eq setting?

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4,813 of 7,699
Quote:
Does anyone use the ie80 with rockboxed ipod video? What is your eq setting?

With my rockbox ipod video i use +3db on the treble and dont eq the rest.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4,814 of 7,699
With my rockbox ipod video i use +3db on the treble and dont eq the rest.
Tks but i use the same eq on the cowon j3 and got the thing i like! Who else has any other eq? I dont really want to make the mids so laidback

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4,815 of 7,699
Quote:
Tks but i use the same eq on the cowon j3 and got the thing i like! Who else has any other eq? I dont really want to make the mids so laidback

Have you tried the tape mod? It will make the mid more upfront and tamed the bass as well. i really like the sound when the bass knob is set to full before doing the tape mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back