Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,636 of 7,699
No this person used to sing praises about how fantastic the IE80 was...until he got his Heir. I was a bit baffled at the sudden change of heart but I guess horses for courses really. Anyway I am glad you appreciate both the Heir and the Senn for what they really are and not any other questionable reasons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guys, the tip issues with ie80 are driving me crazy. I had several universal iems before but never had any tip issues with any of them. I cannot believe how Sennheiser did such a poor job with tip's design.  AUVIO tips are not bad but they seem to push back the mids and collapse the soundstage. I compared them to stock silicon tips and the difference in soundstage width and mids forwardness was significant. I ordered the JVC tips but I'm worried they will not sound as good as the stock tips as well. Any other tip recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
I use the medium silicon tips that came with my b&w c5 iems and they seem to work pretty good..the boar hole is kinda wide with them so it doesn't collapse the soundstage as much as my heir 4ai medium silicon tips..so I'm guessing the smaller the boar hole on the tips the smaller the sound stage..I'm also guessing that these Headphones weren't made to have as much insulation as some other iems..cause once the music starts with the stock tips they sound good..I don't know just my opinion..cause I've tried all the stock tips and it's hard to get a really good insulation with them but a few of them still makes them sound good especially with an amp...

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4,638 of 7,699
If you get the box in the picture - you're good.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,642 of 7,699
Quote:

The JVC tips was the one that solved my fit issue without altering the sound, I wish you the same !

Thanks Migou67! I ordered the JVC tips, hopefully they will be better than the stock tips.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,643 of 7,699
Guys, can anyone make a list of all the tips that fit on the IE80?

I have the IE8, and I've always been struggling with the fit. I've tried the Meelec tips, but I can never get a perfect fit in my right ear. The Sennheiser and Meelec tips are just too soft and smooth.

The Philips Fidelio S2 silicone tips do fit on the IE8, and they're a bit stiffer than the Senn tips. Unfortunately, they're not sold separately.

I know there's a couple threads dedicated to this, but this one is much more active, that's why I'm asking here.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #4,645 of 7,699
Quote:
i have been searching around without success...how does fiio e11 sound with ie 80?
thanks

Hi, I use a FiiO E11 with the IE80. Note that I don't use line-out with the amp, which is how it's meant to be done. My player doesn't have a suitable LOD. So yes, I am 'double amping', which is meant to ruin the sound (I find it sounds all right actually, but your experience may vary). 

Anyway, in my view, this combination sounds good, but not good enough that I carry it around with me all the time on the go.  It sounds particularly good for electronic and pop, and is not quite as clean as I'd like for jazz.

Regarding the sound sig, the E11 is a bassy amp. With the IE80, lows sound deeper and there's more bass (might not be a good thing). This, to me, makes the highs sound even more laid-back, so if you like crisp cymbals and tizzy or bright highs, I wouldn't pair the two. I like the IE80's midrange with or without the amp, I think vocals are a joy to listen to with it. Soundstage seems somewhat reduced with the amp, but it might just be the very faint background hiss throwing my ears off.

I listen on low power, low gain and bass setting 0 or 1 (depending on genre). I prefer to use the amp with EDM, having the bass switch on gets that thumping bass going without muddying up the mids to my ears.

Overall, this amp is good because it enhances the non-intrusive, laid-back, bass-emphasised and quite relaxing sound qualities of the IE80, but it hasn't been a mind-blowing SQ difference for me. Hope it helps!

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4,649 of 7,699
Quote:
thanks man really helped me...any other amp i could consider around that price? i would open up hig frequencies a bit, lower ones are ok.

Hmm... For other amps in that price bracket, you could try the C&C BH - I have no idea what it sounds like, but it's seen by some as a competitor to the E11. I read it has an 80 hour battery life, which is great. I have heard the Hippo Cricri with the IE80 also, but I didn't find it to open up the highs much. It sounded more warm, like the E11, to me.

I don't own the Pico Slim but I have auditioned it with the IE80s and it is an astonishingly small and very quality-sounding amp. I found it to complement the IE80s' highs very nicely; it did a good job of tightening the bass and bringing the highs forward. It is a fair bit more expensive than the E11, but part of the reason I don't carry the E11 around a lot is because its form factor isn't too convenient, and SQ isn't mind-blowing enough that I feel I'm missing out when I commute without it. I would think that if I did have a Pico Slim, I would strap it to my rig much more often than now.

So anyway, I started (a little impulsively) with a simple FiiO E11, but I now see portable amps as buy-it-nice-or-buy-it-twice... In hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought the E11, and would love to save up more for a Headstage Arrow, a Pico Slim or maybe an Apex Glacier (the Glacier is on my wish list at the moment, though I do like the Slim a lot). I still like the E11, but this is just something for you to think about; maybe check out some of the higher-end offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back