Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4,651 of 7,699
Quote:
Thanks again, ill run the fiio for the moment and ill look more into cables.
Any suggestion?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Here is my humble experiment into the world of after-market/custom cables.  First and foremost, I'd like to declare at the outset that in this hobby, TO EACH HIS OWN.  We only share our experiences based on our PREFERENCES.  I know that there are a few strongly opinionated people in this thread who would be seething in rage if I say that the stock Sennheiser IE80s are treble-thin and too boomy-sounding.  That said, I also love the IE80's thick and exaggerated mids.  

My first mods were with copper cables. Since there is a limited gamut of cables from which to choose in the Philippines, I had to work with what are locally available first.  ProCos, Nobelle 2N.  While the ProCos brought up the highs and seem to open up the upper midrange, the highs sound like they were getting the bulk of the push. On some tracks, I began detecting a hint of sibilance.  Then came the Nobelles.  Great airy highs, mids retain its richness, bass is tightened by a little.  But the drawback is the grain.  At higher volume playback, Nobelles are grainy.

So I decided to order from Jaben a set of silver Piccolino cables.  The loose bass is gone!  Highs are fully extended but sweetly done with nary a hint of sibilance.  But here is the spoiler: MIDS, particularly vocals, sounded thin!  Gone are the thick, luscious, syrupy voices!  Apparently, as I read more about it, silver cables do that to the midrange frequencies.  In what seemed like a crude logical syllogism, I had a kind of rudimentary 1+1 lightbulb moment.  What if I marry the better qualities that I like about the Piccolino cables with the ones I like about the copper Nobelles?  

I twined 2 Piccolinos with 1 Nobelle.  Highs are smooth but well extended.  Mids still have that great body that I love in the stock IE80s but the loose bass is cleaned up quite a bit.  Soundstage remains largely unchanged.  Mid-bass humming is still present though.  But at least, I no longer find the IE80s wanting in treble.  [In the photos above, the blue in the braid is the Nobelle and the silver with transparent insulator is the Piccolino.]

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,652 of 7,699
Thanks again you are really helpful...i went to jaben but i couldnt find any sennheisers cable (?) So i was thinking on zeroshoe s cables from song's audio, universe model...but its silver plated :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #4,653 of 7,699
Quote:
Thanks again you are really helpful...i went to jaben but i couldnt find any sennheisers cable (?) So i was thinking on zeroshoe s cables from song's audio, universe model...but its silver plated
frown.gif

How about plussound cable? They offer a lot of different wire.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #4,655 of 7,699
Quote:
Can you give me a link please?

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/iemcables.html

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #4,657 of 7,699
Quote:
Aww so many cabled, hard to decide for one
tongue.gif

Any help is welcome

silver or silver with gold would be great.
i have tried both wire but from a different company and both improves the sound of the ie80.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #4,658 of 7,699
i bought forzaworks audio silver lod and a fiio e17 for the moment :xf_eek:

one of my friend letting me use the fiio e11 but too be honest the improvement over the stock sound doenst justify carrying it around.
i had the same impressions as the guy wrote some posts ago.
its more a "loud" effect the anything else.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #4,659 of 7,699
Quote:
i bought forzaworks audio silver lod and a fiio e17 for the moment
redface.gif

one of my friend letting me use the fiio e11 but too be honest the improvement over the stock sound doenst justify carrying it around.
i had the same impressions as the guy wrote some posts ago.
its more a "loud" effect the anything else.

Congrats on the purchase; I hear the E17 is a pretty nice amp and if I had one I would use it as a DAC with my laptop and the IE80, which the E11 can't do. Glad that our impressions of the E11 are similar; I don't mind using it for now, but I'm glad my experience with it reflects yours. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back