Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,187 of 7,699
With the bass screw turned all the way up they can get a little muddy when there's a lot going on (low tuned guitars, bass guitar, double kick drums...basically bass overload). But with it turned all the way down I would say separation is spot on, definitely doesn't sound muddy to me. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #4,188 of 7,699
Well, I had the bass screw turned all the way down and I suffered with these for over a year.

I recognize that each person has his own preferences, but they are dark and muddy to me. I never liked them. 

Known flaws were glossed over and the overall sound was very disappointing. True, I am accustomed to frequent listening with studio monitors like Focals, Genelecs, Dynaudios, etc.  - but these IEM's are downright murky.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #4,191 of 7,699
Quote:
I somewhat skeptically tried the tape mod. It cured virtually all of the flaws that you mention. That and also the right tips make a huge difference. I am happily using JVC gels which have added clarity and instrumental separation to the music I am listening to.

I don't find the stock IE80s to be muddy with the bass knob turned right down, they're a little so on about 2.5 but since I've done the tape mod, I agree with holden's impressions.

I really enjoy the JVC tips with the tape mod. This combination never gets too bright or peaky for me, but has a more detailed sound while retaining good separation, soundstage and bass punch. The bass is all still there, it's just not muddy anymore. Awesome!

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #4,193 of 7,699
IE80 is an improvement of the IE8. Improved sub-bass, mid-bass, and also has a different casing. I did like the IE8 cable however. If you can upgrade, it is worthy. But it isn't a big jump otherwise.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4,195 of 7,699
You may be better off either sending it in for warranty. Or buying an aftermarket cable. The ie80 isn't cheap but if you look at the iems-sound signature I like in my profile,the ie80 still ranks high on my list.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4,198 of 7,699
I'm looking into buying these because I am on the hunt for awesome soundstage. I like my bass, but don't like mids to be too recessed (Ultrasone Pro 900 = too recessed for me) and I also don't like super bright highs (Pro 900s also had this problem), but I can forgive those things in favor of great soundstage and nice bass as long as the problems aren't too extreme. Can anyone tell me just how bright they are and how recessed the midrange is? I like the midrange on something like a Shure SE215 (their BA-based IEMs are way too mid-forward for me), Panasonic HJE 900, Heir 3.ai, etc. The 3.ai was a little harsh on the high end for me and the HJE900 is on the verge of harsh depending on what amp I'm using for it. Can anyone comment on whether I might think the IE80s are too harsh up top or too mid-recessed?

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,199 of 7,699
I'm looking into buying these because I am on the hunt for awesome soundstage. I like my bass, but don't like mids to be too recessed (Ultrasone Pro 900 = too recessed for me) and I also don't like super bright highs (Pro 900s also had this problem), but I can forgive those things in favor of great soundstage and nice bass as long as the problems aren't too extreme. Can anyone tell me just how bright they are and how recessed the midrange is? I like the midrange on something like a Shure SE215 (their BA-based IEMs are way too mid-forward for me), Panasonic HJE 900, Heir 3.ai, etc. The 3.ai was a little harsh on the high end for me and the HJE900 is on the verge of harsh depending on what amp I'm using for it. Can anyone comment on whether I might think the IE80s are too harsh up top or too mid-recessed?

Out of all of the iems I own, the ie80s get the most use for a reason. They sound great. I'm a fan of soundstage and bass. The highs may be a bit harsh in the first few hours of using them. Once these are burnt in about 25-50 hours the sounds stabilizes. I owned the pro900s. Wasn't a fan. Probably least favorite headphone if that says anything. The mids on the ie80 may only be recessed if the song calls for bass. As I am listening to them right now, the mids are there, just not like other iems that are more mid focused.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #4,200 of 7,699
Quote:
Out of all of the iems I own, the ie80s get the most use for a reason. They sound great. I'm a fan of soundstage and bass. The highs may be a bit harsh in the first few hours of using them. Once these are burnt in about 25-50 hours the sounds stabilizes. I owned the pro900s. Wasn't a fan. Probably least favorite headphone if that says anything. The mids on the ie80 may only be recessed if the song calls for bass. As I am listening to them right now, the mids are there, just not like other iems that are more mid focused.

I wouldn't say the mids are recessed at all. More so in the center. Actually doing the tap mod and silver cable will make the IE80 mid centric :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back