Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4,172 of 7,699
Quote:
Just got these and for some reason, I don't think the soundstage is wider than the sm3 or the eph-100. Is it a tip problem? I'm using stock biflange.

I don't know, I like the large soundstage on my IE80s, and when I heard the SM3 at Jaben and I thought it had a very wide soundstage as well. Since I don't own the SM3 I can't tell you which one for sure is wider, but I'd say the IE80 has a big soundstage for an IEM... Never heard the EPH100 sadly.

I find the soundstage widest with single-flange tips, but then again the stock biflange don't fit me so well. Different people hear different things, I suppose :p

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #4,173 of 7,699
Quote:

I don't know, I like the large soundstage on my IE80s, and when I heard the SM3 at Jaben and I thought it had a very wide soundstage as well. Since I don't own the SM3 I can't tell you which one for sure is wider, but I'd say the IE80 has a big soundstage for an IEM... Never heard the EPH100 sadly.

I find the soundstage widest with single-flange tips, but then again the stock biflange don't fit me so well. Different people hear different things, I suppose :p

Does it really have a large sound stage. From reviews I read I thought it has a sucked in (in your head) sound stage? That's the magic of it all lol. Many people hear things so differently... :p

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #4,174 of 7,699
hey really need some advice my IE80 went of 2 times within months. i bough it about an year ago and 2-3 months back one of the ear pieces cracked, they gave a replacement after 1 month n now one of the ear-pieces stopped working. the wire beneath it also came out a bit cause that piece use to malfunction and i had to detach it then reattach to get proper output, service here at India is not that gr8 as i've heard many of u guys how they send an upgraded model( in this case which is not possible) or they send some other i.e.m for use till then. if anyone could provide an email address where i could report about the bad service at India. what should i do?? one more thing i even got an unsealed box as replacement.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #4,175 of 7,699
Quote:
I've used them and you can read what I've said about it in my sig below. That said, they are good. But I've obviously worn mine done and part of the tip broke off after I rubbed it clean. Sq isn't affected though.

Otherwise, it's got great comfort and I hardly notice it and love the isolation with music on.

Hi, Can you share how you rigged your Note II to a portable amp? What kind of amp works best with IE80?  Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #4,176 of 7,699
Well their goes my IE8's......don't want to turn steer this thread to Off/Topic...but if anyone want's some pure silver cable's for their IE80's, I've got a barely used Galaxy Pure Silver cable for $80. 

Off/Topic 2: Glad to see Lee still loyal to his IE80's even after owning the Translucent 1Plus2 :D

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #4,177 of 7,699
Quote:
Well their goes my IE8's......don't want to turn steer this thread to Off/Topic...but if anyone want's some pure silver cable's for their IE80's, I've got a barely used Galaxy Pure Silver cable for $80. 

Off/Topic 2: Glad to see Lee still loyal to his IE80's even after owning the Translucent 1Plus2 :D

lol DefQon I no longer own the IE80s. I just still post :wink:. The 8A I just got is more like the replacement for the IE80 :D

So you sold off your IE80 or did you lose it? I read in your profile you lost your ES5, that sucks :frowning2:.....

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #4,178 of 7,699
Quote:
lol DefQon I no longer own the IE80s. I just still post :wink:. The 8A I just got is more like the replacement for the IE80 :D

So you sold off your IE80 or did you lose it? I read in your profile you lost your ES5, that sucks :frowning2:.....

Ah I see.

Nah never officially owned the IE80 did hear em after they were released. Recently sold my 2nd set of IE8's. Yeah the ES5 is gone, lost few other valuables that day too, serves me right for leaving a damn $1k + earphones at the Gym. 

Well either way, anyone here want some pure silver cables for their IE8/IE80's without forking over $100 here's your chance, otherwise I'm going to dice these up and use them in my amplifier.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #4,179 of 7,699
Hi, Can you share how you rigged your Note II to a portable amp? What kind of amp works best with IE80?  Thanks.

I was using my iphone prior so can't help with that unfortunately. Have a look in the note 2 thread. There's some banter on it. I'm not big on bringing around a portable amp. I travel as light as possible.

I used an iBasso D10 back in the day. And messed around with opamps. It depends on what you want to do with the sound of the IE800 and then to get an amp accordingly. I haven't been looking at that for a while now so can't advise. Hopefully someone helps you out :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4,180 of 7,699
Quote:

I'm interested in the cable, as mine is falling apart. Have you put up the listing for it in the f/s forum?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4,184 of 7,699
I'm not sure if this has already been brought up in this thread or not (and if it has it's been buried) but if you're into metal, these things are amazing. Just got them today and first listened to some alternative stuff and was pretty impressed. Then I decided to test them out on some metal and hardcore, and they blew me away. Listened all the way through "The Infinity Complex" by MachineMade God and all I can say is ****. Everything is so tight and controlled, yet not overly technical or dry.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #4,185 of 7,699
I suppose some metal could be good with them, but I find them to be muddy and too laid back for anything dynamic.

Examples:

Mercyful Fate - Curse of the Pharaohs (from Melissa) : Michael Denner's guitar solo at the beginning seems dull and muted.

Nocturnus - Neolithic ( from The Key) : Lacks life in general; no shimmer to the choral parts.

Fate's Warning, early Queensryche, Helloween, Agent Steel, etc. : The complex harmonies, fast-paced riffs, and counterpoint get drowned in a murky soup reminiscent of something one would expect to find in the witches cauldron from Macbeth (OK, maybe that's a little hyperbolic, but the details do get a bit lost).

On the other hand, I could possibly see Slayer or Nuclear Assault complimented by them.

I have listened to a lot of Skinny Puppy and Wumpscut with them (I know, industrial rather than metal). Although I still find them dark, the soundstage works pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back