Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #3,121 of 7,699
It sounds great. I don't think its fully burned in yet. Regarding hiss its noticeably better than the previous model, can't say perfect though but a lot less distracting. Hoping it may lessen with time. I'd prefer to not use an adapter if possible.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,122 of 7,699
Quote:
It sounds great. I don't think its fully burned in yet. Regarding hiss its noticeably better than the previous model, can't say perfect though but a lot less distracting. Hoping it may lessen with time. I'd prefer to not use an adapter if possible.

great :). im still waiting for my unit, hope this unit gonna be better than the previous studio

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3,124 of 7,699
New owner of the IE80's and I like them a lot. For some reason I also considered dynamic drivers to be "inferior" to BA's which is clearly not the case. I am switching over from the W4, which I thought was a brilliant IEM but it sounded to boring for me. The IE80's are so much more fun while keeping the detail and clarity. One thing that i find distracting is on rock songs I sense a kind of thickness/muddiness/veil compared to the W4. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,125 of 7,699
Quote:
New owner of the IE80's and I like them a lot. For some reason I also considered dynamic drivers to be "inferior" to BA's which is clearly not the case. I am switching over from the W4, which I thought was a brilliant IEM but it sounded to boring for me. The IE80's are so much more fun while keeping the detail and clarity. One thing that i find distracting is on rock songs I sense a kind of thickness/muddiness/veil compared to the W4. 

Yep i get the same thing too. I mentioned it a while ago how pretty much every genre sounds great on these but with rock it seems things are blurred and less separated. A silver cable may be able to help here.

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,126 of 7,699
Hi again, guys.

I've made a fully reversible MOD on my IE80's to get rid of the annoying mid-bass hump (that makes sub-bass and midrange regions veiled) , without spending another 150$ on High-end Silver Cable. Russian guys (the one behind the idea) called it - Sennheiser ISO-Mod

The idea is to reduce the internal resonance of the earphone, that cause too much reverberation and bass emphasize. As a result the IE80's midrange totally opens (becomes incredibly sweet) and the sub-bass region start hitting same strong as the mid-bas, making it more organic, but also less punchy. Personally I find it way more refined then the original bass-heavy and muddy presentation. 

To get better idea of the result, it is like turning bass-heavy Denon D5000 into Sennheiser HD600. 

This is what you need :

a) Delicate scissors
b) Insulating tape
c) Good lightning and Patience.

Cover the back of the earphone entirely and monolithic with Insulating tape. The rest surface of the earphone might also be covered, it's almost impossible to make it monolithic, but the less parts you use, the better result you get. Be aware to leave the black-plastic element near the L / R letters intact (don't cover it).

The more layers you put, the less mid-bass you get. I've find my sweet spot on two layers. 

The only major downfall is turning a beautiful and saxy earphone into an ugly, cheap looking dinosaur. After you've made the mod, your friends might not recognize your IE80, thinking you are wearing typical chineze crap like most of them do... Personally, I can live with that...

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3,128 of 7,699
  Hi, I just want to second what lee730 says about the IE80 and Studio V 3rd Annivrsary. Fresh out of the box there is a it too much treble energy and the bass is over done but it settles down quickly into a very dynamic sounding combo..Live recordings sound wonderful, bassy beat driven music is terrific with loads of energy.. Jazz sounds terrific with trumpets having a lovely brassy blare to them (made that word up myself but there is no other word for it)

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #3,129 of 7,699
Just purchased a pair from Amazon.it, should arrive in 5-7 days for express international shipping.

Going to replace the Yamaha-EPH100s and AT-CKM500s with them.

Gotta get used to the over-the-ear design again ._. sold my previous Vsonic GR07s because I found them uncomfortable, hope these will be better!

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #3,130 of 7,699
Just purchased a pair from Amazon.it, should arrive in 5-7 days for express international shipping.

Going to replace the Yamaha-EPH100s and AT-CKM500s with them.

Gotta get used to the over-the-ear design again ._. sold my previous Vsonic GR07s because I found them uncomfortable, hope these will be better!

Congratulations on your purchase ich1ban. Some people in the Yamaha EPH-100 thread will be pleased you moved onwards. :tongue_smile:

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #3,131 of 7,699
Haha, no more faulty reports in that thread from now :p

I wonder what I can do with the 2 new pairs I have now, 4/4 pairs all suffer from the same problem. 

Not sure if I can sell them, so much $$$ wasted! 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3,132 of 7,699
Quote:

No offence but u've got to be kidding me.
A week ago i recommanded someone this mod, but just to apply a small piece on the ventilation to make an example what the ventilation actually does.

With one layer of tape on just the ventilation, i can hardly hear any bass and the soundstage is badly narrowed.
I'm not sure if it's different on IE80, i had it tested on my IE8.
In fact, any air leaks comes from the ventilation itself, there's no need to cover the whole earpiece.

No offence but I can't find how anyone would like such a modded IE80.
People I had spoke to and communicated on forums actually cover half or a quarter of the ventilation let alone 2 layers of tapes across the whole iem itself.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3,134 of 7,699
I pulled the plug and ordered a pair of IE80's from Crutchfield.   I used them because of the 60 day return policy just in case they needed to go back for some reason (fit, sound, etc).   They arrived on Friday but I didnt get a chance to unbox and try them out till yesterday.   As of now I am very happy with the sound, I am primarily using my Cowon Z2 amped with a Fiio E17 as my source and am using mostly Flac files.  I primarily listen to classic rock with my main artists being Grateful Dead, Springsteen, Dave Matthews, U2, Allman Brothers, Yes, The Who, etc.  I am a little disappointed with the quality of tips that came in the package, I am currently using one of the larger flange type tips but can't help but think there are better choices on the market.   If you have any suggestions for better tips please let me know.

The other issue I have is there was an empty bag in the package that was rolled up with nothing in it.   It appears that is where the cleaning tool / screwdriver was supposed to be which was missing in the package so I need to contact them about it being missing.   Without it I obviously can't play with the bass tuning.  My initial impression is that I probably wouldnt move it move that 1 notch from where it currently is on either ear.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3,135 of 7,699
By the way, great job Lee for keeping the thread going and helping them with their queries, I guess i've been quite busy the past few months. Nonetheless i'm rotating between the 8320, IE80 and the IE8 mostly for IEMs and a whole load of other cans. Just today i'm back once again on the IE80 and it's sounding as fabulous as the first day i got them, oh and the very first to get them too .
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back