Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,551 of 7,699
Quote:
the IE80 through the lyr is not only a bad idea, but it also is not a good pairing. No wonder you don't like the sound of the IE80 though it. I can attest to IE8/Lyr, but I haven't tried it with IE80's though.

How does the IE8 sound through the Lyr? Curious to know since you have attested to it, I have the IE8 and IE80 maybe i can try to find a Lyr,

edit, I've just tried through my Meier Arietta the IE8 sounds bright and mids distant, bass is less but seems deep and cavernous, the IE80 sounds full but boomy, mids still apparent unlike the IE8 but marred by the bass seeping over.

May 27, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #2,552 of 7,699
Quote:
Uh, why are you plugging it into that Lyr? Just play it direct or through your Fiio, FYI the Lyr was intended for Isodynamic cans.

HD650 with StefanAudioArtEquinox cables

The HD650 plays best on the Lehman BCL USB DAC. It has finesse and keeps a very good control on bass.

Or great with this WA6SE as well

But after all that, this combination beats the hell out of everything that I have heard, a simple O2 and DT48A setup.

Wouldn't the impedance of the Lyr make your IE80s sound like crap? (that is if the impedance is high which I am under the impression it is). You don't want to use high impedance with Sensitive IEMs. The HD650 is in no way sensitive BTW. Generally high impedance will cause boomy bass response and offset the intended sound signature.

May 27, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #2,553 of 7,699
Quote:
Wouldn't the impedance of the Lyr make your IE80s sound like Sciit :wink:? You don't want to use high impedance with Sensitive IEMs. The HD650 is in no way sensitive BTW. Generally high impedance will cause boomy bass response and offset the intended sound signature.

Hehe, thats what i thought so too, anyway the person who started it was WEITN, so i tried the IE8 and IE80 through a desktop amp, the IE80 wasn't good, the IE8 showed potential but thats not how its supposed to sound like, sort of super cavernous sound, lol.

May 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,554 of 7,699
Quote:
Uh, why are you plugging it into that Lyr? Just play it direct or through your Fiio, FYI the Lyr was intended for Isodynamic cans.

I did play it from Fiio E17 at first. Later, I plugged the IE80 to Lyr later because my HD650 sounded best from Bifrost + Lyr. Bifrost + Lyr is significantly better amplification system than E17. I just wonder how will the IE80 perform if it was given a better amplication system than E17. I guess it was too early for IE80 cause it hasn't properly burn in yet. 

May 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,555 of 7,699
I use ACS custom tips on my IE8, anybody know if they will fit on the IE80?

May 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2,557 of 7,699
Quote:

I did play it from Fiio E17 at first. Later, I plugged the IE80 to Lyr later because my HD650 sounded best from Bifrost + Lyr. Bifrost + Lyr is significantly better amplification system than E17. I just wonder how will the IE80 perform if it was given a better amplication system than E17. I guess it was too early for IE80 cause it hasn't properly burn in yet. 

You don't need a desktop amp with poor performance for low impedance earphones, all you need is direct source, the Fiio products change the sound too much, sort of esoteric to me. 

May 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,558 of 7,699
Quote:
the IE80 through the lyr is not only a bad idea, but it also is not a good pairing. No wonder you don't like the sound of the IE80 though it. I can attest to IE8/Lyr, but I haven't tried it with IE80's though.

I agree. It is definitely not a good pairing cause once I plugged IE80 to Lyr, I can hear humming/background noise coming from Lyr even though music is playing. I can even hear my finger touching the volume control. Lyr is definitely meant for power hungry big cans. However, once I turn up the music, I don't hear the humming/background noice anymore. Volume at 9 o'clock is the most IE80 can take it. For HD650, it is 11 o'clock. I just wonder how will the IE80 perform if it was given a better amplication system than Fiio E17. That's why I plugged IE80 to Lyr.

May 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,559 of 7,699
Gee you audiophiles seem to complicate things. Why don't just plug the phones directly into the daps and call it a day?
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2,560 of 7,699
Quote:
Hehe, thats what i thought so too, anyway the person who started it was WEITN, so i tried the IE8 and IE80 through a desktop amp, the IE80 wasn't good, the IE8 showed potential but thats not how its supposed to sound like, sort of super cavernous sound, lol.

Sorry for starting up all these. I guess now everyone will be trying their IE80 with desktop amp but be careful with the volume. Slowly turn up the volume as desktop is very powerful. I wish Lyr has a impedence switch for IEM. With that switch, IE80 might sound really good with Lyr. Anyway, when IE80 is properly burn in, I will try it with Lyr again for the sake of curiosity.

May 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,561 of 7,699
Quote:
Gee you audiophiles seem to complicate things. Why don't just plug the phones directly into the daps and call it a day?
wink_face.gif

I do agree with them fiddling around to get their best preference, it's what this hobby is about actually, for myself i prefer as neutral as possible though. Defining neutral is another thing altogether, lol.

May 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,562 of 7,699
Quote:
I do agree with them fiddling around to get their best preference, it's what this hobby is about actually, for myself i prefer as neutral as possible though. Defining neutral is another thing altogether, lol.

I like neutral sounding as well and have found the rockboxed ipod 5G's just doing that for me. It blows my iphone 4s out of water and clearly wins me over the much hyped Cowon J3 in terms of clarity, sound stage and 3D imaging. I have experienced some ground shaking sound staging with the RB'd ipod 5G paired with the EX1000 using NO amp's or any other boosters.

Now I simply sit back and enjoy music while watching the audiophiles still suffering.
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2,563 of 7,699
Quote:
I like neutral sounding as well and have found the rockboxed ipod 5G's just doing that for me. It blows my iphone 4s out of water and clearly wins me over the much hyped Cowon J3 in terms of clarity, sound stage and 3D imaging. I have experienced some ground shaking sound staging with the RB'd ipod 5G paired with the EX1000 using NO amp's or any other boosters.

Now I simply sit back and enjoy music while watching the audiophiles still suffering.
wink_face.gif

you're a psychological bully arent you? (if that makes sense :p) i am satisfied with my itouch and portable amp (ibasso t5).

May 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #2,565 of 7,699
Quote:
you're a psychological bully arent you? (if that makes sense :p) i am satisfied with my itouch and portable amp (ibasso t5).

Sorry dude if that post struck your nerves and caused any unintended psychological damage.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Wait till Lostid gets the "Silver" cable.

I am running out of time and 8 more posts (not including this one) from saying goodbye to HF. It's enough.
regular_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back