Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #167 of 7,699
And i was just about to order some IE8's........

the agonising wait for good sound continues..... 
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #168 of 7,699

Quote:
I have owned the IE8, MTPC, GR07 and would say they are all of similar ilk in regard to detail and technical ability. But of all 3 I feel the GR07 is the most balanced and most transparent, it comes close to the best features of the other two but with neither of their weaknesses. The IE8 does have a larger soundstage but it's midbass hump and veiled midrange, along with a treble that sounds off in regards to cymbals always left me wanting more. The MTPC on the other hand had to smaller sound stage for me, consistency issues, a thin sounding midrange, and a tendency to be to sparkly, fit issues and to much microphonics.

The GR07 is 1/2 the price of the other two to boot. But if the one early report is accurate does sound like the new IE80 does address the main issues with of the IE8.

Well, as i had written in my review, the veil has been lifted off the mids and highs, snappier and crystal cymbals. I felt the veil when i switched back to the IE8. But IMHO if you want balanced go for the Westone 4.

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #169 of 7,699
Which obviously means they have just fine tuned the drivers a bit but not much... Well im ok with My IE8 since i dont feel a need of more highs or mids than what they already produce. Thanks for the views though really helpful...

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #170 of 7,699
Which obviously means they have just fine tuned the drivers a bit but not much... Well im ok with My IE8 since i dont feel a need of more highs or mids than what they already produce. Thanks for the views though really helpful...

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #172 of 7,699

Quote:
IE8 with EQtweaks on your PMP/DAP=IE80 

If your EQing gives you happiness then you just need a CX to get the same sound.

Quote:

Yes exactly my thoughts too, and good judgement call.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #173 of 7,699
@maniacal71: No, EQ cannot help the low bandwidth of CX300 or the lack of bass detailing.
The rule is that you can't get gold from excrement, no matter how much you polish it - though it will get quite shiny, as Mythbusters showed.
Yes, these can be made to sound reasonable with massive equalization. (more than 16 dB in places)

Once the IE80 are available, I'll attempt to snatch a listen, might be interesting. Is the fit identical to IE8's?

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #174 of 7,699

Quote:
@maniacal71: No, EQ cannot help the low bandwidth of CX300 or the lack of bass detailing.
The rule is that you can't get gold from excrement, no matter how much you polish it - though it will get quite shiny, as Mythbusters showed.
Yes, these can be made to sound reasonable with massive equalization. (more than 16 dB in places)

Once the IE80 are available, I'll attempt to snatch a listen, might be interesting. Is the fit identical to IE8's?

My point exactly. EQing will just drive you nutters.

The fit is exactly the same, i prefer the largest tips and just tap them lightly for a good seal. Another way to go is with Comply.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #176 of 7,699

Quote:
I found that comply foams in the ie8 ruined the sound

best ones for me are the large stock tips

Yeah the comply tips create too much bass and overshadow the treble. They seal real nice though but at the expense of the sound. I use large Single flange JVC tips I got from amazon.com

They work wonders and give me a nice seal. The other tips always lose the seal eventually or become uncomfortable.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #178 of 7,699
Nope. They are like the IE8s stock tips with large openings so it doesn't obstruct the sound at all. I feel it adds to it honestly. Because the material is also thicker so it allows for a better seal and I think it carries the sound better due to it being thicker and I'd say a slightly different material than Sennheiser large single flanges. The direct link is below. I'll also include a link to the large single flanges from V-moda. They also work great as well. I'm sure they also have small and medium sizes on amazon you just have to do a search for them. Using small or medium would be like flying a Jet into the grand canyon with my ear canals :wink:.

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317059349&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317059519&sr=8-1

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #179 of 7,699

Quote:
Well, as i had written in my review, the veil has been lifted off the mids and highs, snappier and crystal cymbals. I felt the veil when i switched back to the IE8. But IMHO if you want balanced go for the Westone 4.

hearing that makes me happy though my wallet is in tears right  now, hopefully Sennheiser comes out with an IE8-IE80 bump up. I've always felt that the mids and highs were a tad lacking

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #180 of 7,699

Quote:

Ok guys the verdict that you've been waiting for IE8 vs IE80

As per all side by side comparisons, had used the same file same source same everything except the IEMs of course.

Soundstage - is slightly larger on the IE80

Sound Quality - Is more refined and detailed in all frequencies, mids do go slightly higher and have clarity, on some tracks with vocals you can reach and feel harmonics (imo a situation that when frequencies come to a blissful combination), bass is more controlled and quick, although they still are a bit bassy but now the frequencies feel more balanced. when switching back to the IE8 I can feel a veiled effect and once back on the IE80 it's cleared. I'm more engaged with the IE80 than the IE8.

The IE80 has improved sonically and aesthetically, IMHO only upgrade once you've sold or killed your IE8.

Any other questions, I will try to reply asap.

Bass hump is still evident fyi

by the way, mind me asking the test music (you know bitrate and all that)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back