Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #151 of 7,699

the only expensive iem i own are the IE8's, and they can definitely improve on them; hopefully at least
Quote:
It would be hard for them to improve on the IE8's. 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #152 of 7,699

Quote:
the only expensive iem i own are the IE8's, and they can definitely improve on them; hopefully at least

I agree 100%, if they don't improve on them sonically I personally thinks it's nothing but a cash grab and their way to milk their investment without having to do anything other than change the outer appearance. There are MANY dynamic based IEM's that kick the IE8 in the keester sound and technical wise that have come out in the past year several of which are way cheaper than the IE8(0) so I think Sennheiser needs to do something sonically speaking or they will start to be left behind.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #153 of 7,699
Quote:
I agree 100%, if they don't improve on them sonically I personally thinks it's nothing but a cash grab and their way to milk their investment without having to do anything other than change the outer appearance. There are MANY dynamic based IEM's that kick the IE8 in the keester sound and technical wise that have come out in the past year several of which are way cheaper than the IE8(0) so I think Sennheiser needs to do something sonically speaking or they will start to be left behind.

Too true indeed.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #154 of 7,699

Ok guys the verdict that you've been waiting for IE8 vs IE80

As per all side by side comparisons, had used the same file same source same everything except the IEMs of course.

Soundstage - is slightly larger on the IE80

Sound Quality - Is more refined and detailed in all frequencies, mids do go slightly higher and have clarity, on some tracks with vocals you can reach and feel harmonics (imo a situation that when frequencies come to a blissful combination), bass is more controlled and quick, although they still are a bit bassy but now the frequencies feel more balanced. when switching back to the IE8 I can feel a veiled effect and once back on the IE80 it's cleared. I'm more engaged with the IE80 than the IE8.

The IE80 has improved sonically and aesthetically, IMHO only upgrade once you've sold or killed your IE8.

Any other questions, I will try to reply asap.

Bass hump is still evident fyi

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #157 of 7,699

Quote:
Why is there a small hole where the Sennheiser logo is supposed to be on your IE8?

I'm not too sure about that, as they belong to a friend, same friend who got me the IE80, so it could be either a preview set or it was removed or fell off, lol. The "hole" actually is a slight recess most likely for addition surface area to stick the Senn logo.

So there it is mine's a preview set but with the logo. No they are not yet available worldwide.

IMHO the bass hump is not a big issue. I would put it down as sort off Senn's signature.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #158 of 7,699
If you had to my friend, quantitatively speaking, how much of an 'improvement' would you say you hear going from the IE8 to the IE80?

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #159 of 7,699
Quote:

Which IEM's are these?

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #161 of 7,699
Quote:
EX600, FX700, GR07, Miles Davis Tributes, Turbine Pro Copper, DDM and perhaps a few others.

Hopefully the IE80 is a little more competitive now...

Hmm, I've heard of people preferring the Monster IEMs to the IE8, but I don't think there's ever been any agreement that they "kick the IE8's butt" in terms of competance.  They aren't really much cheaper and thet FX700 cost more than the IE8. 

Of the reviews I've read of the DDM, GR07, and EX600's, it doesn't sound like they are better than the IE8 at all, but perhaps a better value depending on if they will make you happy.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #162 of 7,699
Quote:

Which IEM's are these?

I have owned the IE8, MTPC, GR07 and would say they are all of similar ilk in regard to detail and technical ability. But of all 3 I feel the GR07 is the most balanced and most transparent, it comes close to the best features of the other two but with neither of their weaknesses. The IE8 does have a larger soundstage but it's midbass hump and veiled midrange, along with a treble that sounds off in regards to cymbals always left me wanting more. The MTPC on the other hand had to smaller sound stage for me, consistency issues, a thin sounding midrange, and a tendency to be to sparkly, fit issues and to much microphonics.

The GR07 is 1/2 the price of the other two to boot. But if the one early report is accurate does sound like the new IE80 does address the main issues with of the IE8.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #163 of 7,699
Yes they are cheaper than the IE8. Time to face the truth: the Sennheiser IE8 is much overpriced. 
Dont belive the reviews all people have diffirence tastes.

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, I've heard of people preferring the Monster IEMs to the IE8, but I don't think there's ever been any agreement that they "kick the IE8's butt" in terms of competance.  They aren't really much cheaper and thet FX700 cost more than the IE8. 

Of the reviews I've read of the DDM, GR07, and EX600's, it doesn't sound like they are better than the IE8 at all, but perhaps a better value depending on if they will make you happy.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #164 of 7,699

Quote:
I spoke to the sennheiser rep that supplies our audio store, and asked estimated release in Canada. Also asked if I could trade in my IE8's with cash for the upgrade, and I know this guy well; he said Sennheiser can't do anything like that for me 
confused_face.gif

same for me, except without the store part.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #165 of 7,699
Well that is if you pay full retail right? I would never pay $400-$500 for the IE8s. My first pair was $265. My second pair cost me $300.00 but this time was an auth. dealer so with warranty (thank God for square trade BTW). If these IE80s are quite a noticeable upgrade from the IE8 then I'm really tempted to give them a shot. Will need to here more comparisons confirming the improvements from other headfiers before I'd even consider it. Could very well be that new metal material they are using in the housing could be responsible for these sound signature changes. But the most important thing is that they address the mid-bass hump. Its nice to maybe have a little mid-bass but not enough to color the sound and ruin otherwise what would be a very smooth sounding IEM.

Quote:
same for me, except without the store part.

Quote:
Yes they are cheaper than the IE8. Time to face the truth: the Sennheiser IE8 is much overpriced. 
Dont belive the reviews all people have diffirence tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back