Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,636 of 7,699
That is different from purchasing them from China...

Also, their higher end models are made in Germany - I bought ie8 at a time when they were also made in Europe AFAIK. Need to find the box

Many/most/some (pick one) IE80's purchased in Asia came from a real Sennheiser factory....probably out the back door, if you know what I mean. Also, the IE80 is not a higher end model.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #7,637 of 7,699
Many/most/some (pick one) IE80's purchased in Asia came from a real Sennheiser factory....probably out the back door, if you know what I mean. Also, the IE80 is not a higher end model.

Welp. I'm from Romania, right next to Sennheiser, so me is getting stuff from them directly, simpler for everyone since items from Asia always go through a complicated duty process.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #7,639 of 7,699
Feb 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #7,640 of 7,699
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #7,641 of 7,699
Slow bass = ACDC songs lacks punch
recessed mids = the singer is generally pretty far
pretty unforgiving = cr#ppy recordings from 70s and 80s metal shine in all their lack of quality

Concerning Jazz, the bass is very well recreated, trumpets and sax shine, voices are clear.

My source is a V20 non B&O.

What am I missing here?
For example I enjoyed ACDC much more with my 25 eur Sennheiser CX275s...

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #7,642 of 7,699
pretty unforgiving = cr#ppy recordings from 70s and 80s metal shine in all their lack of quality

Concerning Jazz, the bass is very well recreated, trumpets and sax shine, voices are clear.

What am I missing here?

Try to use some EQ - down for 6 khz where is a peak and up for 1-2.5 khz to bring the vocals and some instruments closer.
I was also use them with the bass port covered (tape mode).

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #7,643 of 7,699

What am I missing here?

The synergy is just okay not great, I have a V20 and IE 80 and I was never thrilled by the pairing. preferred the V10 and IE 80 pairing much more.

Crappy recordings are still very musical when I listen to the IE 80 on my Mojo or Hugo TT.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #7,644 of 7,699
Looking for a IEM with good bass.

I heard the IE80 has good sub-bass and soundstage but is V-shaped. How are the mids? I like to hear my vocals not drowned out by the lows and highs. Deciding between this and Orveti Basic which apparently have good bass too and energetic mids.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #7,645 of 7,699

I heard the IE80 has good sub-bass and soundstage but is V-shaped. How are the mids? I like to hear my vocals not drowned out by the lows and highs. Deciding between this and Orveti Basic which apparently have good bass too and energetic mids.

Mids are clear but recessed.
This works well for classical and jazz, but not for rock and metal.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #7,646 of 7,699

IE80 has a mid-bass hump by default. The bass is somehow splashy, not having quite a good texture.
You can use the dial to increase the sub-bass but then, all the other frequencies will be swept by the bass wave.
The midrange is recessed and you'll have to use an EQ to bring it closer. But is clear and full.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #7,647 of 7,699

IE80 has a mid-bass hump by default. The bass is somehow splashy, not having quite a good texture.
You can use the dial to increase the sub-bass but then, all the other frequencies will be swept by the bass wave.
The midrange is recessed and you'll have to use an EQ to bring it closer. But is clear and full.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably going with the Orveti then. I listen to a lot of rock and don't have an EQ with TIDAL or my Dragonfly Red.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,649 of 7,699
If any of you use a DAP with TRRS balanced port, try this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0745YCPJX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No more mid-bass hump for you, in fact, you will need a good seal! I'm not saying this setup will turn your pair of IE80 into a pair of Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, but the change will be dramatic, the sound I'm getting is breathtaking. (Open the bass-port by one notch only, or leave it closed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back