Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 22, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #7,666 of 7,699
The IE800S sounds much more to my liking than it's predecessor.The fly in the ointment is the cable.This always happens.I look at every possible IEM option out there,and always come back to the IE80s,and in the future,IE80S.The hybrid cable really does make a big difference to the 80s,and I'm sure it'll work just as well with the 80S.I'd rather spend the extra cash on the front end,i.e. the next Chord DAC/AMP,etc.,and make the Senns sound as good as they possibly can.Thanks for your suggestions!

May 23, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #7,667 of 7,699
Dobrescu George,I see you have the Dita Answer-The Truth on your profile.Out of interest,how do they compare to the IE80s? When they were released,along with The Answer,they were both lauded as being the best thing ever! I've long been intrigued by them.I would only ever consider a DD IEM.Thanks!

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #7,668 of 7,699
My feelings about the IE80 and cables.The stock cable is garbage.The plastic sheathing is too brittle and cracks around the join with the earphone units.The IE8 cable is far better,a much softer plastic and much more durable.I now have two Forza Audioworks cables.A copper and a copper silver hybrid.Both have different sound signatures as one might expect,but both make a huge difference to the sound.I really was quite shocked when I first heard the difference.They are also extremely well made,so should easily stand up to extensive mobile use.In fact,my son is using the copper one,and he's a cable destroyer! It's still going strong,testimony indeed!
Incidentally,the IE80s scale really well.I use mine at home with a Chord DAC and full size headphone amp.I like what I read about the IE80S,it sounds as if the slight "rough edges" on the IE80 have been effectively smoothed.I am intrigued by other DD iems out there,in particular the Campfire Vega.At four times the price of the Senns,would they really be so much better?
You got that right, and the stock cables also offer the poorest SQ. I'm not sure what your expectations are, but cable upgrades for this IEM are offered in every price range, from $15 to a fortune. I'm on my third cable, this last one it seems sealed the deal for good, and it is affordable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0745YCPJX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't recommend it highly enough...

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #7,674 of 7,699
Has anyone test one of this cables? I do like to know if is worthy.
Looks similar to one I tried with my old senn ie80 about 5 years back and did not find them any good or an improvemnet over the original senn cable. I just like the conofrt of he SENN IEs although I have better high end IE phones they are not as cnfortable and hurt my ear canal if I wear them for a long time. I have narrow ear canals.

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #7,675 of 7,699
Looks similar to one I tried with my old senn ie80 about 5 years back and did not find them any good or an improvemnet over the original senn cable. I just like the conofrt of he SENN IEs although I have better high end IE phones they are not as cnfortable and hurt my ear canal if I wear them for a long time. I have narrow ear canals.
Out of interest,which are the higher end IEMs you have? I've only ever heard the Senns.,IE8 and IE80.I really like the sound signature,soundstage,comfort,and cohesive upgrade that a decent aftermarket cable makes.I am open to the idea of other IEMs,almost certainly DD.I'm intrigued by Beyerdynamic Xelento.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #7,676 of 7,699
Out of interest,which are the higher end IEMs you have? I've only ever heard the Senns.,IE8 and IE80.I really like the sound signature,soundstage,comfort,and cohesive upgrade that a decent aftermarket cable makes.I am open to the idea of other IEMs,almost certainly DD.I'm intrigued by Beyerdynamic Xelento.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Xelento is an upgrade to Ie80 with a similar overall tuning.

Ie800 has a very different tuning, but also a worthy upgrade to ie80 :)

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #7,678 of 7,699
Some people bash the IE80s i have them from many yars now i have the tape mod on them (bass on MAX), are they still respected? i also have some chifi IEMs revonext QT2 sounds similar to IE80 but i prefer it since i hear better staging (WIDER) and even subbass-rumble the rest of my chifi dont come close.. but i dont have any other HIFI IEMS my source its WM1A thanks for any answer

Also anyone stated if the mod hurted the soundstage on this?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #7,679 of 7,699
Xelento is an upgrade to Ie80 with a similar overall tuning.

Ie800 has a very different tuning, but also a worthy upgrade to ie80 :)
I have recently bought the ie80S,and I'm very pleased with it.A big improvement in every way.I'm hearing extra details in music I've known for years.It's easy for me sticking with Senns.,I have a Forza Hybrid cable,which of course is interchangeable,and the large stock foam tips give me a perfect seal.I am still intrigued by the Xelentos.Will they be a substantial upgrade from the ie80S?
Any thoughts?

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #7,680 of 7,699
I have recently bought the ie80S,and I'm very pleased with it.A big improvement in every way.I'm hearing extra details in music I've known for years.It's easy for me sticking with Senns.,I have a Forza Hybrid cable,which of course is interchangeable,and the large stock foam tips give me a perfect seal.I am still intrigued by the Xelentos.Will they be a substantial upgrade from the ie80S?
Any thoughts?

It should be. What do you like the most about IE80S, and what would you want the upgrade to do? Depending on those answers, I could point to what is the most likely candidate for your upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back