Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #7,606 of 7,699
That huge bass hump was what got me interested in the IE8/80 in the first place. For bassheads, it is a delight. :)

Anyway, seeing that the HD800S was (a lot) brighter than the HD800, I reckon an IE80S would see a more prominent treble presentation.

I started out as a basshead mainly with headphones like the PX100 but now I've switched to a preference for a neutral sound signature which is why I use the Savanna nowadays.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #7,607 of 7,699
Yes you are right. Previous ie80 came as a flagship and there was no ie800 back then. Now there is ie800 or ie800s (in coming days) so ie80s have to look dull and less premium as it's not their flagship anymore.

Gotcha.. I can understand why they're going for this design, or marketing, seeing that the IE800 is their current flagship.

Does anyone know if the IE80 are discontinued?

What?? :) Don't excuse them. For the prices they charge most of the Senn earphones could be better looking. Plus a majority of brands give the better looks and more color choices to lower models since they have less SQ. Have to...no. They made the CX985 right along with the IE8 so they used to make better looking lower models. The Momentum in-ear or whatever they call it now is not and does not have to be dull compared to the IE's. Don't excuse them...demand more from them :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #7,609 of 7,699
My biggest gripe with the IE80 was the housing, which was too big for my ears. I wonder if the IE80S is better in this regard, it does look more compact in the pictures. But I'd like to see the official dimensions listed somewhere, and I don't see them on their website.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #7,610 of 7,699
I started out as a basshead mainly with headphones like the PX100 but now I've switched to a preference for a neutral sound signature which is why I use the Savanna nowadays.
I have the PX100 ii, and damn, it sounds great for its size and price.

On the basshead aspect, I started off with a lot of bass heavy cans, such as the Sony XB500, XB700 and V-Moda's Crossfade LP. Over time though, I have learned to appreciate quality over quantity. I still favor IEMs or headphones with a heavier bass presence, but I'm no longer actively looking for a bass cannon. In that regard, the IE80 fits my preferences very well. :)

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #7,611 of 7,699
The silver cable should balance out the treble but it will change the sound signature for better or for worse.

With my Hugo 2 I think I actually prefer IE 80 with the stock cable because it sounds more fun with better bass rumble.
Wow, the cable just came in, and a smash! This is the best sound I ever heard out of a pair of IE80 thus far...

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,612 of 7,699
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used Snugs earmoulds with Sennheiser ie80? I contacted Sennheiser to see about getting a custom fit and they said Snugs are compatible. I've read good things online but they seem to be relatively unknown in terms of custom moulds.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #7,613 of 7,699
Hey guys, if you are a Parametric EQ user, try this setting for the IE80 and let me know what you think.

Full Parametric EQ: (PC, Mac, Smartphones and Lotoo PAW DAPs)
60Hz, +3dB, Q=0.8, Low Pass Filter
2.5kHZ, +7dB, Q=0.7
6.0kHz, -3dB, Q=1.5 (For Lotoo DAPs Q=1.0)

Cowon Users:
63Hz, +3dB, Band=Normal
2.4kHz, +7dB, Band=Normal
6.2kHz, -3dB, Band=Narrow

A&K Users: I have heard that EQ A&K DAPs is not quite effective. But won't hurt to give it a try.
60Hz, +3dB, Q=0.7
2.0kHZ, +7dB, Q=0.7
6.0kHz, -3dB, Q=1.5

10 Band EQ users, try this and see if it helps.
62Hz, +3dB
1kHz, +2dB
2kHz, +6dB
8kHz, -4dB

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #7,614 of 7,699
For those who paired the IE80 with the Onkyo DP-X1 or DP-S1 Rubato, I can strongly recommend this cable upgrade:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Unlikely that you would have to touch the EQ settings on the player for a great balanced sound, fast and detailed bass, better treble extension and high resolution. I'm amazed by the improvement, the IE80 with this setup is fast becoming my favorite...

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #7,615 of 7,699
For those who paired the IE80 with the Onkyo DP-X1 or DP-S1 Rubato, I can strongly recommend this cable upgrade:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE8B-2-5mm-Balanced-Silver-plated-Earphone-Replacement-Cables/381563306483?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Unlikely that you would have to touch the EQ settings on the player for a great balanced sound, fast and detailed bass, better treble extension and high resolution. I'm amazed by the improvement, the IE80 with this setup is fast becoming my favorite...
Way too much microphonics for my taste.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #7,617 of 7,699
Pre-emptive apologies for incoming negative post:

I received my IE80s from Amazon (sold by Amazon) mid last week, and here are my thoughts: ...uh, what the hell?!

I can't say with absolute certainty that I didn't get 'fakes' (even though every single sign that they are authentic has been checked) but my gosh, do they sound bad. I'm almost confused. I've read a number of posts about things like a great sound stage and high levels of detail but my pair sound like I'm listening to music under water. Seriously, there are no highs; snares are barely audible, cymbals sound a mile away, vocals sound like they are under a blanket, etc. I'm not trying to exaggerate but I don't how else to describe it. These headphones seem to have an EQ curve that nose dives above the center-mids.

To check differences in genres and sources I tried several types of music, watched T.V., and played video games. I know not all of that is the intended use of the set, but I figured I'd see what worked and what didn't. In games, for example, all crackling effect (gun shots, environmental sounds) sound like they were EQ'd right out. With T.V. everything sounds muffled. Different music genres had different effects. Reggae and hip hop did, as expected, sound pretty good - smooth and punchy bass - but vocals still sound super dark. Metal, and hard rock were a lost cause. As mentioned before snares, cymbals, etc were miles away, vocals were squashed, etc.

I'll certainly be returning the set, but I'll forever be curious if I actually got a legit pair. If this set was just "okay" I'd say they simply weren't for me and move on. But, the fact that they sounded like $80 run-of-the-mills, especially coming from the usually consistently great Sennheiser, is very suspicious. As a comparison my $70 Jays a-Jay Fives (currently $55 on Amazon) are no worse (though, they by no means sound 'the same'. I just mean that I wouldn't call the IE80s any better for the money). And, I'm not a fan of the a-Jays, but at least the horribly imbalanced a-Jays sound great with T.V. and movies.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #7,618 of 7,699

I received my IE80s from Amazon (sold by Amazon) mid last week, and here are my thoughts: ...uh, what the hell?!

I can't say with absolute certainty that I didn't get 'fakes' (even though every single sign that they are authentic has been checked) but my gosh, do they sound bad. I'm almost confused. I've read a number of posts about things like a great sound stage and high levels of detail but my pair sound like I'm listening to music under water. Seriously, there are no highs; snares are barely audible, cymbals sound a mile away, vocals sound like they are under a blanket, etc. I'm not trying to exaggerate but I don't how else to describe it. These headphones seem to have an EQ curve that nose dives above the center-mids.

To check differences in genres and sources I tried several types of music, watched T.V., and played video games. I know not all of that is the intended use of the set, but I figured I'd see what worked and what didn't. In games, for example, all crackling effect (gun shots, environmental sounds) sound like they were EQ'd right out. With T.V. everything sounds muffled. Different music genres had different effects. Reggae and hip hop did, as expected, sound pretty good - smooth and punchy bass - but vocals still sound super dark. Metal, and hard rock were a lost cause. As mentioned before snares, cymbals, etc were miles away, vocals were squashed, etc.

I'll certainly be returning the set, but I'll forever be curious if I actually got a legit pair. If this set was just "okay" I'd say they simply weren't for me and move on. But, the fact that they sounded like $80 run-of-the-mills, especially coming from the usually consistently great Sennheiser, is very suspicious. As a comparison my $70 Jays a-Jay Fives (currently $55 on Amazon) are no worse (though, they by no means sound 'the same'. I just mean that I wouldn't call the IE80s any better for the money). And, I'm not a fan of the a-Jays, but at least the horribly imbalanced a-Jays sound great with T.V. and movies.

You know at the time they were released the IE80 supposedly did suffer from the "Burn In" phenomenon. I remember when I first heard about the IE8 and read the 'Sennheiser IE8 Impressions' thread here on Head-FI that apparently the IE8 required about 500 hours burn in before it sounded it's best. I never paid much attention to that at the time but I left the IE80 playing on my stereo for about five days straight. There was an improvement in the sound which did expand and brighten up a bit. But whether that was a real change or mental reconditioning I couldn't say.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #7,619 of 7,699

Welcome to what a smooth signature sounds like :)

Yes, this is normal, especially if you're coming from something bright / open sounding, like open back headphones, or FiiO F9/Kinera H3 for example.

I listen to mainly metal music, and to properly use ie8 / ie80 I would usually EQ all the other sliders to -6, then the last slider to +6, creating an effective difference of almost 12 dB. I would sometimes increase the 8kHz slider as well, for more impact and energy on the cymbals.

If we look at their FR, their sound signature is kinda like this (?) Their peak ends at about 6kHz, so most of the treble is smooth and metal music will be a bit too friendly.

I would keep in mindn that most people want this type of signature, but this is one of the reasons I moves away from ie8 / ie80, in favor of ie800, which has a very very energetic and sparkly treble, being one of the best IEMs for metal music and for voices!

0a03c02ea482743f0487f44b94668862.png

You know at the time they were released the IE80 supposedly did suffer from the "Burn In" phenomenon. I remember when I first heard about the IE8 and read the 'Sennheiser IE8 Impressions' thread here on Head-FI that apparently the IE8 required about 500 hours burn in before it sounded it's best. I never paid much attention to that at the time but I left the IE80 playing on my stereo for about five days straight. There was an improvement in the sound which did expand and brighten up a bit. But whether that was a real change or mental reconditioning I couldn't say.

I don't think my set improved after more listening time, they kept their sound, but I gotta admit that at that point I didn't even paid attention to it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #7,620 of 7,699

Ha, a few years ago when I expressed my displeasure back than about the IE8, I heard an earful from the community here, the moderator stepped in and removed a few pages of firestorm, lol. I picked up a pair of IE80 about a year ago, which I found more less the same to perform as I remembered the IE8. I just tossed the gear back in the box, and kept it out of site for months, I figured I will ebay it when I'm in the mood. Meanwhile I got an Onkyo Rubato just recently, and I wanted to hear how it will pair with the IE80. While I wasn't blown away still, there was an improvement significant enough to raise my curiosity how the gear would perform balanced. This cable upgrade did it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
My most favorite pair of IEM ever, was the Logitech UE900s, until this cable came in, now the IE80 bumped it and became my main cut...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back