Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6,916 of 7,699
Yup, I filled in the ID code on the authentication page and it came back with authentication failed. Since it failed, the site took me to a form to fill out my information and the serial number of the product. They are supposed to contact me. I just don't know when.

Do the counterfeits even come with these fake security code checks now days? That just seems like too much. I just figured the counterfeits wouldn't even have the security check sticker on them.

I want to believe it's the real deal and it's frustrating not being able to open the headphones because the authentication failed. Should I just get amazon to ship me a replacement or wait for sennheiser to verify these headphones?

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #6,917 of 7,699
There are pictures on the Internet where they show how the box of a counterfeit IE80 looks like. It's just low quality and the prints on the box are not perfect unlike the prints on the original box. Also the Sennheiser logo on the IEMs look slightly off. Since the iem should be visible through the box, I think you could try comparing. And there are plenty of pictures out there. So in the meantime may be you can use these to determine if you have got a counterfeit. And if you have your doubts, better to return it and buy it when the price is still $230. Better safe than sorry.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6,918 of 7,699
The box and everything about it seems high quality to me, but the end all be all for me is the Sennheiser authentication system now.  I mean the box has the QR code authentication system.  I've attached pictures of the box and the QR code.  It's just telling me that it's not authentic when I put the code in Sennheiser's site.  That causes concern for me regardless of how high quality the box or the build looks.  It needs to pass the system they themselves implemented to keep customers confident about their purchase.  

Regardless, Amazon will send me a replacement which they guarantee will be authentic, and meanwhile Sennheiser will eventually validate this set by it's serial number which I sent to them.  I guess I might end up with two sets if Amazon doesn't ask me to send these back.  One of them needs to authenticate with Sennheiser's system!

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6,919 of 7,699
Yup, I filled in the ID code on the authentication page and it came back with authentication failed. Since it failed, the site took me to a form to fill out my information and the serial number of the product. They are supposed to contact me. I just don't know when.

Do the counterfeits even come with these fake security code checks now days? That just seems like too much. I just figured the counterfeits wouldn't even have the security check sticker on them.

I want to believe it's the real deal and it's frustrating not being able to open the headphones because the authentication failed. Should I just get amazon to ship me a replacement or wait for sennheiser to verify these headphones?

The same thing has happened to me too. Got the IE80s with the $230 deal and Sennheiser's site won't authenticate them. However, i opened mine (since Amazon takes it back either way) and compared them to the photos of the fake ones and these seem like the real deal. They passed all of the real vs fake picture tests from what i saw and i feel it would be extremely rare to get fake ones from the official Amazon dealer. I also googled the problem and it seems thier Authentication system is wonky and several people have faced problems across a range of different models (IE80, HD598, HD600, HD800). I have contacted Senn nonetheless and hope its a positive reply.

Also, i feel you should blur or scratch your Authentication code and QR code in the photo you posted. Don't wanna give the fake IE80 manufacturers any ideas do we?

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,920 of 7,699
maybe some amazon stuff that were returned? so someone already used the code and senn removed it as "already sold"? (wild guess)

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #6,921 of 7,699
The same thing has happened to me too. Got the IE80s with the $230 deal and Sennheiser's site won't authenticate them. However, i opened mine (since Amazon takes it back either way) and compared them to the photos of the fake ones and these seem like the real deal. They passed all of the real vs fake picture tests from what i saw and i feel it would be extremely rare to get fake ones from the official Amazon dealer. I also googled the problem and it seems thier Authentication system is wonky and several people have faced problems across a range of different models (IE80, HD598, HD600, HD800). I have contacted Senn nonetheless and hope its a positive reply.

Also, i feel you should blur or scratch your Authentication code and QR code in the photo you posted. Don't wanna give the fake IE80 manufacturers any ideas do we?

Well I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. That's good to know. I mean they look like the real deal but we should feel confident with our purchase when it costs $230 and unfortunately I'm not with all the counterfeits going around.

I wouldn't mind if their authentication system was wonky if there wasn't an abundance of counterfeits. I will just wait till Monday and hope that either Sennheiser contacts me with information about the headphones I have as being authentic or The second pair coming from Amazon pass the authentication test. I'll cross my fingers for one of them to happen...

I removed the picture with the QR Code just to be safe. I apologize for that.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6,922 of 7,699
  maybe some amazon stuff that were returned? so someone already used the code and senn removed it as "already sold"? (wild guess)

Not possible. Mine were properly sealed and packed as one would expect from unopened boxes including the tape at the bottom which needs to be cut to open the box in addition to the several seals around it and the aluminium case still having the peel-off plastic on it.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,923 of 7,699
Well I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. That's good to know. I mean they look like the real deal but we should feel confident with our purchase when it costs $230 and unfortunately I'm not with all the counterfeits going around.

I wouldn't mind if their authentication system was wonky if there wasn't an abundance of counterfeits. I will just wait till Monday and hope that either Sennheiser contacts me with information about the headphones I have as being authentic or The second pair coming from Amazon pass the authentication test. I'll cross my fingers for one of them to happen...

I removed the picture with the QR Code just to be safe. I apologize for that.

Hey can you update me on your situation with the replacement you ordered? I have ordered a replacement from Amazon as well just to be safe. If this one fails too, then they both are going back.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #6,924 of 7,699
  Hey can you update me on your situation with the replacement you ordered? I have ordered a replacement from Amazon as well just to be safe. If this one fails too, then they both are going back.

Absolutely.  My replacement pair are scheduled to be delivered to me today.  First thing is the authentication check.  I'll update you on the status once I receive them.  Crossing my fingers...

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #6,925 of 7,699
Got the new set in from Amazon and the wife was home to pick up something during lunch so I got her to send me a picture of the ID above the QR code, and it checks out on Sennheiser's authentication site.  I'll know for sure when I get home and check that hologram to make sure it matches what they show me on the authentication page, but looks like they're the real deal this time.  
regular_smile .gif

Let me know what happens with your replacement set Skyline.  Hopefully everything checks out!

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,926 of 7,699
  Got the new set in from Amazon and the wife was home to pick up something during lunch so I got her to send me a picture of the ID above the QR code, and it checks out on Sennheiser's authentication site.  I'll know for sure when I get home and check that hologram to make sure it matches what they show me on the authentication page, but looks like they're the real deal this time.  
regular_smile .gif

Let me know what happens with your replacement set Skyline.  Hopefully everything checks out!

I just received mine too and it checks out perfectly. The hologram and QR code both match 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #6,927 of 7,699
Just got my IE80. Straight out of packaging and comparing directly with Vsd3s,IE60 and Momentum Over Ear. The IE80 is disappointing. Find it to have an annoying midbass hump which is noticeable on bass heavy tracks particularly.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #6,928 of 7,699
I think this view of 650 is well applied to IE80:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/31230#post_12163818

IE80 is the most musically (800 is on par) IEM I have listened.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #6,929 of 7,699
Just got my IE80. Straight out of packaging and comparing directly with Vsd3s,IE60 and Momentum Over Ear. The IE80 is disappointing. Find it to have an annoying midbass hump which is noticeable on bass heavy tracks particularly.

Try the double flange tips. They reduce the mid bass while retaining the sub bass and make the highs more airy from what i noticed. Also, almost everyone in this thread recommends extensive burn in since they are dynamic driver earphones and not BAs.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #6,930 of 7,699
Burn them in for a bit & try too rolling. Ie80's are very tip dependent. Tips can dramatically change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back