Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #5,776 of 7,699

did you look at the FR graph of a IE8 or IE80?  I think anybody can understand from a graph that bass are very very strong ^_^.
same for the bass tuning, it has always been very clear it was a sub bass setting. at least you can congratulate yourself as you do have good ears and can tell sub bass from bass ^_^.
the noise on your macbook is from your macbook not from the headphone. the difference is how sensitive and low impedance your headphone is.
to make it a little too simple, the lower you have to set your volume to get normal listening level, the higher the noise will be. all sources have different noise levels(and do not trust specs for that, instead ask people with sensitive IEMs like SE535).
if it is a problem for you, you can send the IE80back as they are indeed very sensitive to hiss. or you can try to find a better source for your music(like adding a clean amp maybe?)

Thanks for the explanation on the bass.  I also thought it might just be an impedance issue and It isn't a problem for me so no returning  :). However, I would like to know the reason why the noise stopped later on on my se425s. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,777 of 7,699

did you look at the FR graph of a IE8 or IE80?  I think anybody can understand from a graph that bass are very very strong ^_^.
same for the bass tuning, it has always been very clear it was a sub bass setting. at least you can congratulate yourself as you do have good ears and can tell sub bass from bass ^_^.
the noise on your macbook is from your macbook not from the headphone. the difference is how sensitive and low impedance your headphone is.
to make it a little too simple, the lower you have to set your volume to get normal listening level, the higher the noise will be. all sources have different noise levels(and do not trust specs for that, instead ask people with sensitive IEMs like SE535).
if it is a problem for you, you can send the IE80back as they are indeed very sensitive to hiss. or you can try to find a better source for your music(like adding a clean amp maybe?)

Thanks for the explanation on the bass.  I also thought it might just be an impedance issue and It isn't a problem for me so no returning  :). However, I would like to know the reason why the noise stopped later on on my se425s. 

most likely I would guess it didn't stop and you just stopped noticing/caring. or you had something adding noise to the computer? some different sound settings, maybe something plugged in it that had some grounding problems? the causes can be a little bit of anything with a computer.  maybe you started listening to music louder? or even something as simple as having more background noise in your room? that would make you used to having noise and forced your brain into cutting it out for you pleasure ^_^.  only you could really hope to find out the real cause. and I'm talking from experience, even when we are lucky to find out, we can't always do something about it. :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #5,779 of 7,699
  Any chance of the IE80 going on sale on black Friday? has it happened before? Thanks in advance

As far as Sennheiser is concerned there was "discount" from 450$ to 350$ tho it has been like that for years and still is. Last Black Friday most of their headphones were discounted except those, they just remained under now already normal "discount" :) Don't know about earlier tho or the future

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #5,780 of 7,699
  I just got my ie80s from amazon germany and I have to say I'm satisfied although not too impressed. Coming from the shure se425 and  Senn hd558, the first thing that overwhelmed me was the bass. At the lowest settings, the bass was significantly higher than those. I don't currently have the se425 but I could tell there was a difference in the soundstage and even though the shure sounded more balanced, this felt more pleasant. Compared to the hd558 however, it's quite ambiguous. While it seems like the ie80s are more detailed, there is is something about the 558s (maybe is the soundstage) that makes me want to keep listening to it .  However, this is the first iem that I have actually had no problems switching back and forth with the HD558 and feeling happy with both. With the shures, I always preferred the hd558s. It could also be that the se425 sounded so close and in-your face while the ie80s (similar to the 558s) was kind of laid back. My reason for not being too impressed with the ie80 was due to my expectations. I kind of expected it to be significantly better that the hd558s considering the price difference. I still feel it's better but maybe it was probably too much expecting a heaven and earth difference. Also, since they are significantly different sets of headphones, it could also be down to preference.  

The bass tunning felt slightly odd to me. I tuned it to the highest level expecting a very pronounced difference but it felt like there was only an increase in the sub-bass making it more boomy. The only other headphone I've used with tuneable bass was the Custom one Pros, and with that the bass increase was very significant at each level.  Let me know what your thoughts are on this as I was expecting that sort of difference.  

Also, I thought the bass impact  on my right ear wasn't working at first.  However, I'm not sure if this is me or the music but I tend to hear the bass of almost every song on the left side of my head(ears). I don't want say ears fully because the bass feels like it's playing in my head rather than in my ears, but on the left side. ( If you can relate, let me know if this is normal..lol).  When I tested for the bass with both ears, even when the left was at the lowest setting and the right highest, I still felt more bass from the left. Taking the left ear off however, (even with my impaired bass hearing on the right) I could tell there was a difference. 

In terms of comfort, these are more comfortable than my previous se425s. I have amazingly small ears (probably the first thing you would notice seeing me) and small ear-holes. I find it difficult even fitting small ear-tips in. With the shures, I always used extra-small tips (from klipsch s4s) as I got the most comfort out of them.  The first thing I did after unboxing the ie80 was to replace the factory medium tips with my extra-small ones but then came the bummer. The tip couldn't fit and all I could do was hope for the worst. I had to settle for the small foam-like tip and  it turned out to be perfectly comfortable. I would rate the comfort similar to the shures with the extra-small tips and I could almost guarantee that using those same small foam ear-tips on the se425 would have been a problems.

Finally, when I first got  the se425s, there was this static background noise that i kept hearing after I plugged it in and played music on my macbook air 2012.  The noise was always present even at low volumes and would disappear about 2mins after the song stopped playing. I don't hear this noise with my HD558s and on the iPhone, I never heard it even on the shures. Later on, I surprisingly stopped hearing the noise from my macbook and I wasn't sure of why that happened or what i did to change it.  With the ie80s currently, it seems the background noise is back again..lol

Can anyone please explain the reason for this static noise? Why do I seemingly only hear it with iems? Why do I hear it on my macbook but not on an iPhone? Why did I hear it with shures at first and why did I stop hearing it later on? Is there a way to stop the noise?  Thanks.

UPDATE (After 2 1/2 days).

I don't know how bad I would look saying this but my opinion of the IE80s (compared to my HD558) has changed significantly. Earlier, I said that there wasn't much of a difference but those words should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't really believe in burning-in so I would say that's the reason. However, I feel my ears adjust quickly to sound signatures of headphones. That and also the fact that I had a bad headache before my first listen so I might have been a bit bias on the bass. 

The detail you get from this iem is amazing. Compared to my Hd558, it's not like I'm hearing things I've never heard before but it just feels and sounds more accurate. The Standard deviation (Spread), of musical instruments is mind-blowing for iems. It's like I can pinpoint where every instrument or vocal is. The soundstage compared to the HD558 isn't more but it feels Like an in-ear massive soundstage. Like it goes way-back in your brain. I'm not an audiophile so there might be better terminologies used to explain this..lol. It also sounds very full (This could be due to the bass ) when compared to the hd558. 

To summarize, I'm really impressed with this iem. I still don't think there is a heaven and earth difference from the hd558 but the difference is enough for me to use it more at home. Normally, the 558s are favourites for that purpose. I"m currently using a macbook and an iPhone 5 as my source with no external amp or dac.   I'm looking to get the meridian explore dac for both the 558s and IE80s. Maybe my opinion might change after that..lol.   If you have an recommendations on a better DAC less than $250 please let me know. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,781 of 7,699
Try to listen to a DAC first to check that it makes a real difference. The iPhone is said to have a very well implemented DAC.
Maybe try a bit of EQ. The 80's are known to have a bump around 100hz. I find a bit of cut there cleans my 8's up.
Do you still have the imbalance problem?
I notice this but put it down to the way the IEM interacts with my ear canal. (I have custom sleeves on a pair of IE8's).

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,782 of 7,699

That's Odd.  I felt the sound from my macbook (even with the background noise) definitely sounded better than the iPhone. And most reviews say there is a difference b/w the meridian (at least) and the inbuilt sound. Also, unlike the my old se425, I prefer the sound without eq.  I used to use the audyssey app (emulates headphones) for my shures but with this, it sounds better when audyssey is off.  When you say balance, do you mean my issue with the bass from the left and right? 

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #5,783 of 7,699
http://www.woot.com/offers/sennheiser-ie-80-east-in-ear-headphones?ref=cnt_wp_0_8&utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10956019&utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+6146845&utm_medium=affiliate+-+home.woot

$160 from Woot

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #5,784 of 7,699
dannyking. For some reason the quote function is not working for me.
Yes I meant the bass issue as you say.
I am particularly interested as I have just had a problem with a CIEM.
I came to the conclusion that the problem is down to my ear canal shape.
Regarding the DAC, I have never heard anything other than Apple sources with the 8's, so my suspicion that a DAC would not make a big difference is only based on what I have read on this forum.
I agree that no EQ is ideal but I do not think that the 8's are ideal and EQ is the right tool to use to try and improve them rather than hardware.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,785 of 7,699

UPDATE (After 2 1/2 days).

I don't know how bad I would look saying this but my opinion of the IE80s (compared to my HD558) has changed significantly. Earlier, I said that there wasn't much of a difference but those words should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't really believe in burning-in so I would say that's the reason. However, I feel my ears adjust quickly to sound signatures of headphones. That and also the fact that I had a bad headache before my first listen so I might have been a bit bias on the bass. 

The detail you get from this iem is amazing. Compared to my Hd558, it's not like I'm hearing things I've never heard before but it just feels and sounds more accurate. The Standard deviation (Spread), of musical instruments is mind-blowing for iems. It's like I can pinpoint where every instrument or vocal is. The soundstage compared to the HD558 isn't more but it feels Like an in-ear massive soundstage. Like it goes way-back in your brain. I'm not an audiophile so there might be better terminologies used to explain this..lol. It also sounds very full (This could be due to the bass ) when compared to the hd558. 

To summarize, I'm really impressed with this iem. I still don't think there is a heaven and earth difference from the hd558 but the difference is enough for me to use it more at home. Normally, the 558s are favourites for that purpose. I"m currently using a macbook and an iPhone 5 as my source with no external amp or dac.   I'm looking to get the meridian explore dac for both the 558s and IE80s. Maybe my opinion might change after that..lol.   If you have an recommendations on a better DAC less than $250 please let me know. 

If you are looking for a DAC, Fiio X3 or X5 worth a check. Both players can be used as DAC, and even as portable players they sound much better than iphone or any flagship phone. (Very clean, crisp sound, great space, separation, and loads of power even for your HD558.)

(I have IE80 with custom sleeves and HD600. HD600 needs an external headphone amp with X3, but it is no surprise, as they are 300 ohms, while the 558 is just 50 ohms.)

Enjoy your music! :wink:

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #5,789 of 7,699
I have owned the IE80s for over 4 years now. I started with one of the included medium black foam tips. Then I tried the Comply tips. The medium black foam tips sounded the best but never stayed all that well. The Complys sounded awful.

I am an ear, nose and throat physician, so 3 weeks ago I asked my audiologist if she can make some custom ear molds for my IE80. We contract these out for hearing aid patients through Westone. Here are some pictures 3 weeks later. I'm not going to go into the details of the changes to the sonic details. Simply put, I can now hear the difference between the 320kb mp3s vs flacs. Every instrument separated out like a concert hall in crystal clear fashion. I can also run with these without every worrying about them falling out. Also the mold rotates 360 degrees, so you can wear them over the ear or drop straight down. I used to wear them over the ear, but now there is no need because the perfect fit.

When I asked her what are the typical steps to get these made, she said you can just schedule an appointment with an audiologist at any ENT office. She/he may need to clean out your ears. Then make the mold. Westone's turn around is about 1-2 weeks. I got mine in less than 10 days. I'm not sure how much they cost since they were free, but I should have asked for a different color. 
beerchug.gif
 Time to throw away all the ear tips.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5,790 of 7,699
  Simply put, I can now hear the difference between the 320kb mp3s vs flacs. 

Highly doubt that :) 

But tips are cool! Looks very nice also, tho earpiece stands out a bit... does it attract any unwanted attention? Or they look more "low profile" if you wear them over the ear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back