Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #5,746 of 7,699
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,747 of 7,699
  was $220 at NCIX weekend sale just now, sold out.

I picked a pair up when I got the email from NCIX.  I'm not an audiophile at all, but they sound amazing.  My most expensive previous earbuds were around $100-$150 (klipsch and etymotics) and they sound better than those.

For the price I paid, I'd recommend them, but I doubt I'd consider paying even close to the regular price.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,748 of 7,699
  I picked a pair up when I got the email from NCIX.  I'm not an audiophile at all, but they sound amazing.  My most expensive previous earbuds were around $100-$150 (klipsch and etymotics) and they sound better than those.

For the price I paid, I'd recommend them, but I doubt I'd consider paying even close to the regular price.

How does one get on the email list? I am still kicking my self for missing this sale :frowning2:
If you don't mind asking me, how much did you pay for it, all in? It's okay if you're not comfortable mentioning it :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5,749 of 7,699

How does one get on the email list? I am still kicking my self for missing this sale :frowning2:
If you don't mind asking me, how much did you pay for it, all in? It's okay if you're not comfortable mentioning it :)

It's right on their front page.  Just click on newsletter and enter your email address.

After taxes, I ended up paying just under $250.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #5,753 of 7,699
Hi Head-fiers,

Sorry that this doesn't have much to do with the ie80s but felt there were a lot of people watching this forum. I have questions which apply to headphones in general. What's the difference between using a software equalizer and an external portable amp for headphones or iems with low frequencies? Also, I know beats do not sound so good and I'm not just saying this to follow the bandwagon.(Although the beats pro detox was my first serious headphone and coming from an apple earbud, it sounded like heaven to me..lol) 

However, if you were to use an equalizer (on beats) to lower the bass for instance and make it more neutral sounding, does it become more acceptable to listen to? I just need some understanding on this.

Assuming you got a set of beats studios, and the bass was too high and muddy. You then use your equalizer software to tweak the sound to something close to  e.g, a sennheiser momentum. Will there be that much difference in sound from the momentum? If for example, beats studios originally sounded like your tweaked studios, will it still get a lot of hate? If the answer is no, then why don't people just use equalizers on their headphones?

I currently own a shure se425 and senn HD5558 and I usually use equalizers on the shures especially. I use the Audyssey app ( an app that has specific eqs for diff types of headphones) on my iPhone and vox equalizer on my mac.  Does the use of these equalizers defeat the purpose of the headphones' sound signatures? From my experience, I don't really enjoy the shures on the iPhone without Audysey but I tend to switch btw flat and my custom eq on the mac.  

I'm also trying to get a senn ie80 for cheap. I live in canada and it's way too expensive here even at a used price. If anyone has one to sell or knows a cheap place that ships to canada please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for looking and I hope you can answer my questions.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #5,754 of 7,699
  Hi Head-fiers,

I have questions which apply to headphones in general. What's the difference between using a software equalizer and an external portable amp for headphones or iems with low frequencies? Also, I know beats do not sound so good and I'm not just saying this to follow the bandwagon.(Although the beats pro detox was my first serious headphone and coming from an apple earbud, it sounded like heaven to me..lol) 

However, if you were to use an equalizer (on beats) to lower the bass for instance and make it more neutral sounding, does it become more acceptable to listen to? I just need some understanding on this.

Assuming you got a set of beats studios, and the bass was too high and muddy. You then use your equalizer software to tweak the sound to something close to  e.g, a sennheiser momentum. Will there be that much difference in sound from the momentum? If for example, beats studios originally sounded like your tweaked studios, will it still get a lot of hate? If the answer is no, then why don't people just use equalizers on their headphones?

I currently own a shure se425 and senn HD5558 and I usually use equalizers on the shures especially. I use the Audyssey app ( an app that has specific eqs for diff types of headphones) on my iPhone and vox equalizer on my mac.  Does the use of these equalizers defeat the purpose of the headphones' sound signatures? From my experience, I don't really enjoy the shures on the iPhone without Audysey but I can tend to switch btw flat and my custom eq on the mac.  

I'm also trying to get a senn ie80 for cheap. I live in canada and it's way too expensive here even at a used price. If anyone has one to sell or knows a cheap place that ships to canada please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for looking and I hope you can answer my questions.

your question would fit much better in sound science. why did you post here?
there are a few things to factor when using EQ.
-adding +2DB somewhere will not always translate into +2DB out of the headphone. like trying to compensate for strong roll off will pretty much never work. so having a way to check the result is the only effective way. (you can get pretty close by ear if you get used to test tones and equal loudness contours).
-on some headphones, boosting a frequency is also increasing the distortion levels by a lot. in fact the manufacturer might very well have lowered certain frequencies to hide a problem.
-on the EQ side, there are different kinds of EQ with different problem(you can look for that into sound science we have loads of posts about it) but the general idea is that the harder the EQ change, the worst the sound quality. so taking a swallow bump down 2DB will be very much transparent outside of the obvious -2db signature. but going with a more spiky EQ, or with 6 or 7dbchanges, that will most likely introduce a bunch of ringing and phase shifts that may or may not be audible, but will very much be there.

all that being said with some work and good EQ(parametric) and maybe a few other DSPs, it is very much possible to come super close to the sound of another headphone. as long as they both have about the same kind of drivers and extend/roll off similarly. trying to turn an ER4 into a bassy headphone would fail, trying to turn an IE80 into a mid centric headphone would fail. you have to stay in the general signature of the headphone if you expect results.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5,758 of 7,699
there is only one IE80, it shouldn't make a difference, worst case you can get a refund.

As for the price, if you buy it from EU you'll only have to pay somewhere around 270 (amazon.de, for example).  Warranty service is iffy though.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5,759 of 7,699
There is one IE80 but in 2 versions: http://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/downloads/download/file/3331/542574_IE_80_SpSh_08_2011_GB_low.pdf

Version WestVersion East
EAN40441550716724044155071665
UPC615104218130615104218123
Article no504771504770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back