Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #5,716 of 7,699
hi all
just got these but the tips seem a bit big for my right ear.
I tried the foam tips and fit best but no included tips stay in my right ear.
they just are loose and end up falling out.
I used to have the klipsch s4 and those silicone tips fit great. are there any tips like those klipsch silicone tips for the ie80s?

Well the nozzle on IE80 shlould be wider than S4 so it's slightly harder to get fit and isolation, not even small size tips you got fit? And I know it might be a silly question but are you wearing them with cable over the ear? (I saw once on the streets guy with wearing them "normally" so they keep falling out like that naturally). I ordered some foam tips from ebay for like 3$ and they fitted pretty good, tho stock tips were ok for me also so maybe that wouldn't be a good solution...

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5,717 of 7,699
Well the nozzle on IE80 shlould be wider than S4 so it's slightly harder to get fit and isolation, not even small size tips you got fit? And I know it might be a silly question but are you wearing them with cable over the ear? (I saw once on the streets guy with wearing them "normally" so they keep falling out like that naturally). I ordered some foam tips from ebay for like 3$ and they fitted pretty good, tho stock tips were ok for me also so maybe that wouldn't be a good solution...

lol. yes I wear them correctly over the ear. one reason I chose them was for the over ear design which cuts down or basically eliminates the stethoscope effect.
I decided to try the included tips. I didn't try the smaller tips because they appeared bigger thn the klipsch tips on my s4 so I just thought they wouldn't fit. but they actually fit great. they aren't loose at all and fit great.
are the Sony hybird tips any good other then fit?
and any recommendations on a custom cable for the ie80s or is the stock cable just fine?

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #5,718 of 7,699
and any recommendations on a custom cable for the ie80s or is the stock cable just fine?

Stock cable of any headphone ever is just fine. The only way that cable can affect sound is impedance. There is literally not even in theory any chance that you will ever hear any difference. But so called "audiophiles" for some reason like to speak how it extends bass and all that stuff, which is literally for laugh since it is not possible, I don't know how they are not ashamed to lie so much ( or maybe they really do believe it sounds better but that's another story).
Check funny product description on Schiit audio website on their cables, one of rare honest companies that doesn't try to profit on stupidity of people :)

Only go custom if that cable break so you want new one, possibly more durable, but on IE80 I found it amazingly durable... so many times player finished bungee jumping from pocket and nothing happened.

Sony tips weren't good choice for me, since they have that thin nozzle so when I manage to put them on earphones they make them sound much more muddy and bassy, that mid bass problem becomes even bigger (at least Sony tips I've tried, maybe they have good size for Senn also now?)

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5,719 of 7,699
Stock cable of any headphone ever is just fine. The only way that cable can affect sound is impedance. There is literally not even in theory any chance that you will ever hear any difference. But so called "audiophiles" for some reason like to speak how it extends bass and all that stuff, which is literally for laugh since it is not possible, I don't know how they are not ashamed to lie so much ( or maybe they really do believe it sounds better but that's another story).
Check funny product description on Schiit audio website on their cables, one of rare honest companies that doesn't try to profit on stupidity of people :)

Only go custom if that cable break so you want new one, possibly more durable, but on IE80 I found it amazingly durable... so many times player finished bungee jumping from pocket and nothing happened.

Sony tips weren't good choice for me, since they have that thin nozzle so when I manage to put them on earphones they make them sound much more muddy and bassy, that mid bass problem becomes even bigger (at least Sony tips I've tried, maybe they have good size for Senn also now?)

great thanks for the reply. I will just stick with my stock cable then.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5,720 of 7,699
I dont know if its just me, but I notice that my ie80's sound similar to the apple earpods, which are hundreds of dollars cheaper. Of course the sennheiser's win but not by a huge margin. Are my IE80's a bad pair or are they subpar for the price or are the earpods really that good?

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #5,721 of 7,699
  I dont know if its just me, but I notice that my ie80's sound similar to the apple earpods, which are hundreds of dollars cheaper. Of course the sennheiser's win but not by a huge margin. Are my IE80's a bad pair or are they subpar for the price or are the earpods really that good?

the earpods have gone a long way, the first ones were actually a kind of reference for lowest quality possible. now it is indeed much better(I guess years of bashing forced apple to invest a few more pennies into it. I still wouldn't go and say they rock. 
if you're thinking down those lines, I do recommend you to get the best EQ available on you phone or computer(parametric would be best), and start playing with it(in moderation) on your cheap IEMs.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #5,722 of 7,699
Hey guys!

Need some new tips for my IE80. Most of you prefer the JVC gel tips over Sony Hybrids and Auvio.

Auvio ear tips are really hard to get here in europe. someone got an address?
Sony Hybrids are about 10€ on Amazon.

Are these the JVC's to go?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-Compatible-JVC-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/231005795644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7b706b38a6

Thank you very much! :)

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,723 of 7,699
  Hey guys!

Need some new tips for my IE80. Most of you prefer the JVC gel tips over Sony Hybrids and Auvio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-Compatible-JVC-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/231005795644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7b706b38a6

Don't get the hybrids. They constrict the sound stage a LOT as the bore is smaller than the IEM nozzle. I have a pack with all sizes of hybrids and none of them provided even close to acceptable sound from the IE80's IMHO

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5,724 of 7,699
  Hey guys!

These (link below) are the genuine ones. You might be able to get a little cheaper from amazon.jp but you have to have forwarded to you from tenso.com. Either way a PITA but I think the tips are worth it. Those other tips you linked to are also good and for the price, worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/VICTOR-EP-FX9L-B-Spiral-Earpiece-Size/dp/B00JSLXPUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413956393&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc+spiral+dot+earpiece

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5,725 of 7,699

These (link below) are the genuine ones. You might be able to get a little cheaper from amazon.jp but you have to have forwarded to you from tenso.com. Either way a PITA but I think the tips are worth it. Those other tips you linked to are also good and for the price, worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/VICTOR-EP-FX9L-B-Spiral-Earpiece-Size/dp/B00JSLXPUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413956393&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc+spiral+dot+earpiece

Arrr yes, these tips......

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,727 of 7,699

I was incredibly underwhelmed by the IE80s using the stock ear buds - once I switched to foam (some are included), they made a lot more sense.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #5,728 of 7,699

I was incredibly underwhelmed by the IE80s using the stock ear buds - once I switched to foam (some are included), they made a lot more sense.

To me it was very opposite, foam tips made them sound even worse lot more veil because of that mid bass boost with increase of isolation. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #5,730 of 7,699
  Thanks guys! :)

Got these tips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-EP-FX9L-B-Spiral-Dot-Earpiece-Size-L-6-pcs-/121451499050?pt=US_Dolls&hash=item1c4712ce2a#shpCntId

Nice. Not too shabby. Make sure you are using large tips now. I normally suggest get the same size tips you currently use. But burtmr was using medium size tips previously and ended up using the large spiral dots in the end... So it does vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back