Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5,641 of 7,699
For me double flange silicone tips were the best, but in my left ear isolation was not always perfect. That is why I started to buy comply foam tips, which were much better.
After a while I had enough changing them every 2 weeks, so I have had custom sleeves made. Best fit ever. I do not regret, it was a bit pricey...

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5,643 of 7,699
  Ah, I will try to get some comply tips first to see if they work for me, I'm also curious, what kinds of portable dac/amps do you guys run or have some other setup. 

Fiio X3 for me as portable DAC and player.
For home listening I have my Schiit Vali with Sennheiser HD600. :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5,644 of 7,699

find yourself some other tips(maybe after the holiday), it's the single best upgrade you can try with the IE80. the default tips aren't known to be the nicest ever built. be it comfort or sound.

Thanks for the advice. I have compatible Comply tips from my other IEM. What tips would you recommend getting?

the last trend was to go with some ortofon tips, before it was meelectric tips, I think some liked the monster something tips. it's hard to push you toward one choice as what is best for me might not be for the next person (I happen to favor comply in the end, but only because my right ear is a bitch). still the ortofon tips seemed to please a all bunch of people.

you can look on any topic with about the same size of tips, like IE8, eq-5, all fitear togo! IEMs... or simply in some of the 377pages of this topic ^_^. tips have been a hot topic for a looooooong time.

Quote:
  Ah, I will try to get some comply tips first to see if they work for me, I'm also curious, what kinds of portable dac/amps do you guys run or have some other setup. 

the marvel of the IE80 is that they work on pretty much any source. as long as there is not too much hissing coming from the amp section, you can be confident that the IE80 will sound just fine. they are super efficient and don't need a powerful source, they don't really car for output impedance either. it's one of those IEMs that don't force you into changing all your gears because of how picky they are.
just use them, and enjoy.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #5,645 of 7,699
Been tip rolling the IE80's for some time and I found the best sound is achieved with a wide bore. Shallow bore depth is needed for best sound stage. 

I've had good success with the medium dual flange tips that came with Hippo VB IEM. Bought a pair of "Headrush" IEMs from The Source just for the tips and they also seem to do well.

Sony Hybrids will fit with a bit of convincing, but murder the sound stage because the smaller bore width. Same with the RE400 dual flange medium tips, but with the added benefit of staying in your ear no matter what. 

I kept losing the seal on left side at gym yesterday with these next tips I got from local headphone shop... owner gave them to me. They sound incredible but the bore depth is very shallow so they don't stay in at gym when I'm clenching my jaw on that last rep nomsayin

For me, IE80 sound is perfect so I'll keep purchasing tips. I listen to bass centric edm (Trap, DUB, Dubstep, D&b) Gonna try some Auvio's if I can have them shipped to CAN. I also heard UE and Monster tips work well.

Really the only next step in my IEM future is customs. Probably Merlin's. Will be a while until I can save for those, so IE80 will have to do for the next while

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #5,647 of 7,699
With these IEMs isolation is crucial. Finally I went for customs. And yes, it gives much more than with any of the possible tips. But I wonder, if it gives more than any other 300£ IEMs... (IEM+custom sleeves)...

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #5,648 of 7,699
  With these IEMs isolation is crucial. Finally I went for customs. And yes, it gives much more than with any of the possible tips. But I wonder, if it gives more than any other 300£ IEMs... (IEM+custom sleeves)...

if you drift on the slippery road of "could I have picked something better?", you're doomed ^_^.
some have better mids, some have much better isolation, some simply have a less U shaped signature, some extend a lot more in the trebles...
so it's not about giving more, but about giving more of what YOU want?
personally I wished they were more comfy, by you've probably solved that part. I wished they would isolate more and I still end up using some etymotics any time I commute or travel(even though the crappy sub bass could make me cry sometimes) but most of the IEM I've heard with no hole at all in the back had disappointing sub bass for me(I love my rumble) or were really expensive. same for almost all BA drivers, the sub bass can be pleasant but it's just not the same.
a few cheap stuff I've tried usually had some sibilance. I think that unless we go for a deep insertion, the IE80 is cool with sibilance.
so all in all it's clearly not a bad IEM.
some a few pages back tried to lure us into getting a JVC FX850. so maybe that is one that could be better for the money and for you? dunno I haven't heard it.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #5,649 of 7,699
Just got mine in today and so far I'm pretty impressed.  Never been a fan of IEMs in the past as they always bothered my ears.  Thankfully I found a set of included tips that work well and are comfortable for me.

From a sound standpoint I believe they're firmly better than my HD25s.  The bass is more than enough to have some fun, especially hooked up to the E12 amp.  They're certainly more detailed than the HD25s, and less sibilant.  I noticed there's a little static when plugged into the E12, even at 0 gain.  This has decreased significantly since my first listen earlier this afternoon.  I'm wondering if burning them in for a while would eliminate it completely?  I can't help but think a nice copper cable would really benefit these.  Might have to save a little money...

They're still IEMs though.  I'm not used to wearing them and having to maintain the seal in the ear canal.  It is going to take a bit of practice. 
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #5,651 of 7,699
Picked up Comply tips today.

They solved the minor fit issues i was having.

The swap to comply tips did alter the sound a bit, as expected. The IEM's sit further away from my eardrums as I have to use shallow insertion. Any deeper and the tip hits a sharp bend in my right canal. Right channel = No bueno if that happens

Overall, I like them.

Isolation improved, from 5/10 to 7.5/10. My reference 10/10 is Atrio Mg7 with Westone True-Fit foam tips. Can't hear jack with those! 

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5,652 of 7,699
What replacement cable would be best for these? I listen to a wide range of music genre but listens to trance most of the time.

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5,654 of 7,699
So many experienced folk recommend silver that I bought some silver replacement cable for my IE80s for HK. OMG it sounded so terrible and thin that I immediately replaced the old cables. Now I am wondering was that just al cheapo silver cables or am I averse to the sound of silver cables in general. Dare i risk some the expensive Picolino cables I have read about? Advice? I listen to classical music mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back