Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #5,671 of 7,699
Sep 25, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #5,673 of 7,699
I spent way too much time tip rolling today. It's so frustrating not getting that perfect fit for the IEM with my favorite sound signature.

I think I'm gonna go with custom sleeves locally. Got a place nearby that does them for about $200 (incl. impressions). I figure the sleeves will outlast the IE80's and I can also use them for my next IEM's (Aurisonics ASG-2 once the IE80's die). If the sleeves solve my fit issues, I would even buy the IE80's again once my current pair dies.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #5,674 of 7,699
  I spent way too much time tip rolling today. It's so frustrating not getting that perfect fit for the IEM with my favorite sound signature.

I think I'm gonna go with custom sleeves locally. Got a place nearby that does them for about $200 (incl. impressions). I figure the sleeves will outlast the IE80's and I can also use them for my next IEM's (Aurisonics ASG-2 once the IE80's die). If the sleeves solve my fit issues, I would even buy the IE80's again once my current pair dies.

Um I highly doubt you'll be able to use the sleeves effectively on another IEM if it is custom built to specifically fit the IE80. What size tips do fit you the best? The spiral dot tips give me a very good seal with the best sound on the FX850s and the 1Plus2. Might be an option but they are pricey.

At the price you are listing you could spend a bit more and get the FX850s (they come with the spiral dot tips) which is a clear upgrade over the IE80 or even go for CIEMs.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #5,675 of 7,699

Um I highly doubt you'll be able to use the sleeves effectively on another IEM if it is custom built to specifically fit the IE80. What size tips do fit you the best? The spiral dot tips give me a very good seal with the best sound on the FX850s and the 1Plus2. Might be an option but they are pricey.

At the price you are listing you could spend a bit more and get the FX850s (they come with the spiral dot tips) which is a clear upgrade over the IE80 or even go for CIEMs.

a clear upgrade why? I have both and they are just different. I am tired of hearing about "upgrades", in this price segment,there aren´t any bad IEM´s,just a personal preference, the JVC ´s I like for acoustic jazz and for heavy avant- prog, I prefere the IE80, The Grado GR10 fitts in between, and is the one I use the most on the road.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #5,676 of 7,699
  a clear upgrade why? I have both and they are just different. I am tired of hearing about "upgrades", in this price segment,there aren´t any bad IEM´s,just a personal preference, the JVC ´s I like for acoustic jazz and for heavy avant- prog, I prefere the IE80, The Grado GR10 fitts in between, and is the one I use the most on the road.

IMO JVCS are better across the board. Bass goes deeper, has more control, treble has more air to it and maintains a smooth signature. Mids are more detailed, the FX850 has more clarity, timbre is quite a bit more natural sounding. The entire sound doesn't come across as muffled or cloudy as the IE80 can sound when directly compared. Then again the JVC themselves can sound muffled next to the 1Plus2 or Flat 4 Suis. There aren't any bad IEMs is also an opinion (although I've heard some pretty ****ty IEMs myself, but hey that's just me).

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #5,677 of 7,699

IMO JVCS are better across the board. Bass goes deeper, has more control, treble has more air to it and maintains a smooth signature. Mids are more detailed, the FX850 has more clarity, timbre is quite a bit more natural sounding. The entire sound doesn't come across as muffled or cloudy as the IE80 can sound when directly compared. Then again the JVC themselves can sound muffled next to the 1Plus2 or Flat 4 Suis. There aren't any bad IEMs is also an opinion (although I've heard some pretty ****ty IEMs myself, but hey that's just me).

I did say no bad IEM´s in this price class, as far as bass goes, the only one I heared that get deeper and more 3D that the IE80 is the IE800, but due to the ridiculous price, and many complaints( cables) I stick to the IE80. It is true that the JVC´s have a more natural sound, therefore my preference with acoustic jazz but in terms of sheer natural sound, the Grado GR10 remains unbeatable, but the JVC´s are the better allround package due to far more better bass or let us say more bass.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #5,678 of 7,699
  I did say no bad IEM´s in this price class, as far as bass goes, the only one I heared that get deeper and more 3D that the IE80 is the IE800, but due to the ridiculous price, and many complaints( cables) I stick to the IE80. It is true that the JVC´s have a more natural sound, therefore my preference with acoustic jazz but in terms of sheer natural sound, the Grado GR10 remains unbeatable, but the JVC´s are the better allround package due to far more better bass or let us say more bass.

I think the IE80 has more focus on mid bass than anything else. It has good sub bass but much of that is on mid bass. The FX850s strikes a good balance between sub and mid bass. Personally I'd take the  Flat 4 Sui any day over all the above. I'm debating on selling the FX850s but I like them for gaming.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #5,679 of 7,699

I think the IE80 has more focus on mid bass than anything else. It has good sub bass but much of that is on mid bass. The FX850s strikes a good balance between sub and mid bass. Personally I'd take the  Flat 4 Sui any day over all the above. I'm debating on selling the FX850s but I like them for gaming.

Like I said I have the both and like them both depending on the music I want to listen to, but on the raod the best compromise for me are the Grado Gr10 in sheer natural sound and musicality. For the moment I use only in ears,also at home, but this will change soon because I did order the Philps Fidelio L2.The IE80 however outperforms  some on/over ears, like for  their own stallmate the Momentum.The JVC´s are a class act with acoustic jazz, and John Coltrane shines even more with them, so for me these are keepers as well.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #5,680 of 7,699

I like it when I read stuff like that. the jvc ends up having more everything, I guess it's louder. reality is that it's just a less V shaped IEM, it makes no sense to say it's better when obviously we didn't buy an IE80 to get a flat signature.
to me the 1+2 are much too bright by default and need some EQ or impedance trick to sound ok.  they're impressive, yes! they do what they do and have an even better soundstage than the IE80, yes. but I do not think of them as an upgrade. it's also massively V shaped so indeed it might interrest the same people, but that's it. 
the JVC seemed to have a lot more presence (based on 1 short audition so take it with a grain of salt) in the high mid/treble region when the IE80 has an obvious boost mostly centered around 5/6khz if I remember my last EQing. and the GR10 I think had the emphasis a little higher in the treble compared to IE80(and a clearly lower bass boost).
I'm totally with willy here, going from one IEM to another is a change of sound, not a change or rank. and your reason to pick one as more all rounded might very well be our reason to keep the IE80 with another IEM to have 2 signatures, as we didn't get it to hear flat sound.
we're in a V shaped group of IEMs, let's not pretend that one has a better signature, when technically, any flat crap is massively better in regard to sound fidelity. we made a choice of sound, and just like willy I don't use the IE80 for everything, but when I do I'm happy to have it.
your analysis about the mid bass of the IE80 on the later post is IMO based on the vent port at mini or even with it duck taped. I use 2 or 3rd position (but then I EQ all the bass region down a little) and it's to me a lot less mid bass centered that way.
to my ears none of those are perfect as is and I would EQ them all to get my "upgrade".

(wrote this in a hurry, I hope I make some sense, and will come back later to check my mess)

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5,681 of 7,699

It's custom built to fit the IE80 nozzle... like an ear tip.

Oh I get a seal no problem, it's just the cable connector on the right side sits tilted outwards more, where as the left side sits flush with my ear. I feel like Frankenstein wearing them lol
I guess my canals are sitting at different angles albeit I never had this problem with other IEM's like MG7. 

I listen to 98% EDM (DUB, Trap, D&b, Dubstep, Glitch-hop) and IE80 has my sound signature of choice. I actually like them more than my Beyer T51p, which is a headphone.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #5,682 of 7,699

I like it when I read stuff like that. the jvc ends up having more everything, I guess it's louder. reality is that it's just a less V shaped IEM, it makes no sense to say it's better when obviously we didn't buy an IE80 to get a flat signature.
to me the 1+2 are much too bright by default and need some EQ or impedance trick to sound ok.  they're impressive, yes! they do what they do and have an even better soundstage than the IE80, yes. but I do not think of them as an upgrade. it's also massively V shaped so indeed it might interrest the same people, but that's it. 
the JVC seemed to have a lot more presence (based on 1 short audition so take it with a grain of salt) in the high mid/treble region when the IE80 has an obvious boost mostly centered around 5/6khz if I remember my last EQing. and the GR10 I think had the emphasis a little higher in the treble compared to IE80(and a clearly lower bass boost).
I'm totally with willy here, going from one IEM to another is a change of sound, not a change or rank. and your reason to pick one as more all rounded might very well be our reason to keep the IE80 with another IEM to have 2 signatures, as we didn't get it to hear flat sound.
we're in a V shaped group of IEMs, let's not pretend that one has a better signature, when technically, any flat crap is massively better in regard to sound fidelity. we made a choice of sound, and just like willy I don't use the IE80 for everything, but when I do I'm happy to have it.
your analysis about the mid bass of the IE80 on the later post is IMO based on the vent port at mini or even with it duck taped. I use 2 or 3rd position (but then I EQ all the bass region down a little) and it's to me a lot less mid bass centered that way.
to my ears none of those are perfect as is and I would EQ them all to get my "upgrade".

(wrote this in a hurry, I hope I make some sense, and will come back later to check my mess)

I beg to differ. Saying it is just simply less v-shaped or more foward is oversimplying things. But hey we all have the right to our own opinions. I don't think either of the IEMs mentioned above are even close to the 1Plus2 in terms of sound quality/performance. My assessment doesn't just come from sound signature preference. That might have a roll in it but I also like bassy, v-shaped to neutral sounding IEMs. It is the refinement and technical abilities of each IEM I examine and come to my conclusions. Now if you are happy with what you got, that's all that matters. Regarding EQ, that always comes with its own issues and I've never found it to be an effective way to get "that upgrade".

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #5,683 of 7,699

It's custom built to fit the IE80 nozzle... like an ear tip.

Oh I get a seal no problem, it's just the cable connector on the right side sits tilted outwards more, where as the left side sits flush with my ear. I feel like Frankenstein wearing them lol
I guess my canals are sitting at different angles albeit I never had this problem with other IEM's like MG7. 

I listen to 98% EDM (DUB, Trap, D&b, Dubstep, Glitch-hop) and IE80 has my sound signature of choice. I actually like them more than my Beyer T51p, which is a headphone.

No what I am saying is if you get it built to specifically fit the IE80s nozzle what will guarantee that to fit aurisonics IEMs? Do they have the exact same nozzle size as IE80?

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #5,684 of 7,699

No what I am saying is if you get it built to specifically fit the IE80s nozzle what will guarantee that to fit aurisonics IEMs? Do they have the exact same nozzle size as IE80?

They are both ~T500 Compy sizing as per forum search. I checked beforehand.

If it's slightly off I can still fit them on:
Tip bore too wide = use a sleeve
Tips too tight = push harder

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5,685 of 7,699
Well good luck on that. Hope it works out for you. Just with customs things are usually never that simple. That is even having a CIEM shaped to your ears and you are highly likely to still have fit issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back