Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #5,627 of 7,699
  How can that be with all the sibilance complaints in the 1pkus2 thread?

I'm not sure. I never had sibilance issues with my pair. The only way I could see it being an issues if for those who listen at excessive volume levels? That alone is dangerous and will damage your ears in the long run. I listened at regular volumes and didn't have such issues. The Flat 4 Sui has more sibilance to my ears yet it is also quite smooth at the same time.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #5,628 of 7,699
the 1+2 signature is VERY!!! dependent on the output impedance. so the peak in trebles might or might not go too far. I'm guessing that's what caused so many different opinions.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5,629 of 7,699
  the 1+2 signature is VERY!!! dependent on the output impedance. so the peak in trebles might or might not go too far. I'm guessing that's what caused so many different opinions.

True. I figured people would have enough sense to know that spending this kind of money to begin with.... Rule of thumb is use a source with less than 1 ohm... The AKG3003 in particular is quite brutal to your sources due to its impedance of 8.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #5,630 of 7,699
I don't really notice any change in bass when turning the dial. Am I correct that when the L and R sides are oriented in this way, the bass is supposed to increase when turning the dial clockwise as shown in this pic? http://i.imgur.com/MGCdfbVl.jpg

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #5,632 of 7,699
  I don't really notice any change in bass when turning the dial. Am I correct that when the L and R sides are oriented in this way, the bass is supposed to increase when turning the dial clockwise as shown in this pic? http://i.imgur.com/MGCdfbVl.jpg

Yes that is correct.  I noticed a big difference.  The difference is all sub-bass, below 100hz.  It's not like EQing up the bass all around.  It will be deeper, boomier, less polite.  I always used mine on the marker right above minimum. I would turn it above that only for movies, where it sounded great with sound effects.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #5,633 of 7,699

you boost sub bass(well more get it back up with bass than really boosting it), it doesn't really do much in for bass to my ears.
I explain it (but have no idea if I'm right so take it with skepticism), with the fact that at some point, the sub bass needs a bigger air flow to equalize pressure in the earpiece, and when the hole is smaller (lower setting) the sub bass loses amplitude due to air resistance.

but duck taping does affect the bass too.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,634 of 7,699
Is there any aftermarket OCC copper (silver plated is ok) cable with remote? Or would the particular channel the remote is tied to lose the benefits of a high quality cable, due to the regular copper used on the remote PCB?

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,635 of 7,699
Panic bought these yesterday as I broke my other pair of IEMs just before my holiday. Was trying the foam tips at first, but it didn't sound good to me. The sound was veiled and not as detailed - great soundstage and imaging though. I switched to the normal shaped bi-flanges and I find it a major improvement. The bass is a ton more impactful and it has a better slam. Furthermore, I hear more details (not as much as with some of my headphones though). Don't think I'll be needing any further tuning to the bass response though, just fine for me! Very warm sound. (Good panic buy, though I will be getting replacements for my broken pair still, they had more warmth, which is what I like).   

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,636 of 7,699
  Panic bought these yesterday as I broke my other pair of IEMs just before my holiday. Was trying the foam tips at first, but it didn't sound good to me. The sound was veiled and not as detailed - great soundstage and imaging though. I switched to the normal shaped bi-flanges and I find it a major improvement. The bass is a ton more impactful and it has a better slam. Furthermore, I hear more details (not as much as with some of my headphones though). Don't think I'll be needing any further tuning to the bass response though, just fine for me! Very warm sound. (Good panic buy, though I will be getting replacements for my broken pair still, they had more warmth, which is what I like).   

find yourself some other tips(maybe after the holiday), it's the single best upgrade you can try with the IE80. the default tips aren't known to be the nicest ever built. be it comfort or sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back