Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,252 of 7,699
It's just a small tape covering the bass screw hole in order to tame the bass and give more clarity to the mids, it's just a signature preference change.
You can try it very easy and remove the tape if you dont like the result.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #5,253 of 7,699
I haven't listened to my ie80's for a little while. I was listening to some other iems in my collection for a while.but I put them back in a couple weeks ago and yeah..there is the music again..and to make it clear..I am not a bass head but dam I forgot how good these sound.. Ive sold and traded other isms that are BA iems..these sound incredible ..these are one pair that I will probably always keep..they let me just listen to the music..love them ..

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #5,254 of 7,699

.....I am considering getting one of these decals http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/HTC-One-Skins

To use as a tape mod. The HTC one is made of brushed aluminum so it might work just as well on our IE80s.

Now I'm not too sure if it will stick as well as tape. What is everyone thoughts on this? (Tape mod users).

You would actually buy a whole iphone skin just to cut it up for the little squares needed to cover the back of your 80's?  For a second I thought you were serious....
rolleyes.gif

If you were actually serious (I hope not) please just use a piece of good-ole Scotch Tape...it's clear cheap and won't have you slaughtering a poor defenseless iphone cover just for it's skin. 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5,256 of 7,699
  Yea why not? 10 dollars is pretty minuscule compared to the price we all pay for the audio stuff we purchase.

Murderer!

Be aware that if the skin is removable, it may not seal well to the back of the 80 due to the not so sticky adhesive. If it leaks it won't do the job. You can find stainless steel tape at any good hardware store - used for patching A/C & Heating units which will match the 80's SS back. It has very good adhesive, too.  But I think clear tape is the best since you can see right through it....or just cut a round piece with a hole punch and cover only the adjustment screw hole.

"Less is Best"

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #5,258 of 7,699
if it has to be in the US you can try moon audio.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #5,259 of 7,699
  Is there a US web store or brick and mortar store where I can get a stock replacement cable for my IE80s?

Here's the part numbers:  LINK

IE80 Cables:
P/N 545270 (Standard)
P/N 545271 (Short)

Can't find them w/Google in the US but maybe the Sennheiser USA store (below) can get it for you, ditto for Full Compass. Or use the IE8 cable which will work fine, too.

IE8 Cable:
P/N 525719

SennheiserUSA Store:  LINK
Full Compass (Official US Dealer): LINK    In stock

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #5,260 of 7,699
IE80, Westone W40, or Heir Audio 4AI? down to 3 IEM to choose from

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #5,264 of 7,699
Be aware though that the IE80 is a very coloured sound. Well if as reported it is the same as the IE8 that is.
Is there no way you can try before you buy?
Some on line suppliers accept returns. In the UK there are retailers with demo models...

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,265 of 7,699
Should I buy these or the sony xba h3 or the ue 900?

Never heard hba h3, but ie80 and ue900 sounds differently. Ue900 has build issues and feels very fragile, that I always take extra care when changing cables. IE80 is very sturdy and never got any issues so far. Build wise I always prefer ie80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back