Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #7,336 of 7,699
I originally had an IE8 that was replaced under warranty with an IE80 from Sennheiser. I never quite liked it as much with the harder wire and somewhat bassist response, and eventually noticed that they would cause static if the headphone jack was turned. For some reason they seem to require a specific positioning or else there is static. This is the case from any source (my iPhone, laptop, etc.). I thought I got a defect so I got them replaced again and same thing! What is going on? This never happened with my IE8s

I have had two pair of these, the headphone cord/plug static is temporary. It stopped after about a week with both sets. Hope that helps.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #7,337 of 7,699
Don't have that issue with my IE80's, also never read about it before. Does it also give static noises on other sources?

Yea it seems to happen irrespective of source.

I have had two pair of these, the headphone cord/plug static is temporary. It stopped after about a week with both sets. Hope that helps.

How much did you use them before it stopped? Like 3-4hrs a day? I'm about 15-20 hrs of use. Do you still get loud static when you turn the headphone jack in its socket? Or does just the background static disappear?

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #7,338 of 7,699
The static isn't indicative of the IEMs being defective. It's an issue that has popped up sporadically in the threads. I'm certain quite a lot of us experienced it too. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #7,339 of 7,699
I originally had an IE8 that was replaced under warranty with an IE80 from Sennheiser. I never quite liked it as much with the harder wire and somewhat bassist response, and eventually noticed that they would cause static if the headphone jack was turned. For some reason they seem to require a specific positioning or else there is static. This is the case from any source (my iPhone, laptop, etc.). I thought I got a defect so I got them replaced again and same thing! What is going on? This never happened with my IE8s

I also use IE8 about 4 years but I have never had problems.
maybe you need to treat them carefully?

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #7,340 of 7,699
This is basically happening out of the box.............

some things I noticed:
when connected to my alienware laptop theres no loud static crackles when i rotate the headphone jack but there is a more noticeable and constant background static
when connected to my iPhone theres loud static crackles when headphone jack is rotated.  background static is a lot less noticeable

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7,341 of 7,699
what you notice from your laptop is probably background noise from the laptop. the IE80 is very sensitive so the noise floor needs to be real low not to notice anything. this has nothing to do with static noises from rubbing the cable on some materials, or a problem from a wire touching what it shouldn't touch. it's the source that is at fault in that case for having a noise floor that is audible with sensitive IEMs. if it's a problem for your usage, you might want to consider getting an IEM that has lower sensitivity than the IE80, or to add an amp or DAC/amp that is known not to "hiss" even with very sensitive, low impedance IEMs.

about noises when rotating the plug, that simply means there is some dust/dirt/oxidation between the contacts. cleaning the IE80's plug should be a simple enough task and you should do it as often as necessary. cleaning things inside the female plug of some devices is more complicated.
frown.gif

usually just rotating the plug several times can get rid of the smaller stuff. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #7,342 of 7,699
Hi all,

I just got some IE80s, and so far really like them.  Picked up the comply tips and enjoying them even more.

I'm a rookie when it comes to all the terminology but been reading about the concept of "burn in".  Will the IE80s benefit from this?  And how long should they go for?  

Thanks 

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #7,343 of 7,699
the best time to enjoy a device is usually when you have it and it works. at least that's my own experience. ^_^

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #7,344 of 7,699
Hi all,

I just got some IE80s, and so far really like them.  Picked up the comply tips and enjoying them even more.

I'm a rookie when it comes to all the terminology but been reading about the concept of "burn in".  Will the IE80s benefit from this?  And how long should they go for?  

Thanks 

I'm not a big believer of the burn in process. To me it's the brain that gets accustomed to the sound signature of a particular earphone. It could take a few hours as it could take weeks for you to perceive a (hypothetical) 'improvement' of your IE80's sound.

Then again the IE80 has gained in these forums the reputation of being an earphone that requires more burn-in than many other in-ears. IMHO it is because its sound signature is quite unique and dark, thus you need a longer time for your ears to adapt.

Coming from generally brighter IEM (ER4S, etc), I needed a good 2-3 days to fully appreciate the Sennheiser IE80.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #7,345 of 7,699
I'm not a big believer of the burn in process. To me it's the brain that gets accustomed to the sound signature of a particular earphone. It could take a few hours as it could take weeks for you to perceive a (hypothetical) 'improvement' of your IE80's sound.

Then again the IE80 has gained in these forums the reputation of being an earphone that requires more burn-in than many other in-ears. IMHO it is because its sound signature is quite unique and dark, thus you need a longer time for your ears to adapt.

Coming from generally brighter IEM (ER4S, etc), I needed a good 2-3 days to fully appreciate the Sennheiser IE80.

I share the same belief as you, but voicing it out in this forum is plain useless. You will only read anecdotes of how an iem transformed its sound after some magic hours of pink noise torture, yet will never see an iota of objective assessment regarding why such is the case!

Its best to simply avoid this discussion altogether. :) 

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #7,346 of 7,699
  I share the same belief as you, but voicing it out in this forum is plain useless. You will only read anecdotes of how an iem transformed its sound after some magic hours of pink noise torture, yet will never see an iota of objective assessment regarding why such is the case!

Its best to simply avoid this discussion altogether. :) 

just,every person, has its own sound,
who loves the bass, loves other detail.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #7,347 of 7,699
For those who are getting static when you rotate the plug, I would highly recommend trying out the gold plated plug. All expensive IEMs must come with gold plated plugs... sigh.
If you get a replacement cable, make sure you get one with gold plated plug.
Once you get it, try rotating the plug and see if you hear any static. You won't!!!

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #7,348 of 7,699
For those who are getting static when you rotate the plug, I would highly recommend trying out the gold plated plug. All expensive IEMs must come with gold plated plugs... sigh.
If you get a replacement cable, make sure you get one with gold plated plug.
Once you get it, try rotating the plug and see if you hear any static. You won't!!!

honestly, I do not understand what plug you mean.
you can learn more about it to write?

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #7,349 of 7,699
[COLOR=111111]honestly, I do not understand what plug you mean.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]you can learn more about it to write?[/COLOR]

I was trying to reply to some.comments where some people were getting static noise when turning the plug.... and that plug... how many.plug could.you actually find on your iem?
The tsr.or tssr plug.is what I meant.
If you buy replacement cable, usually they come with gold plated plug which would.not cause that kind of static.
Haven't been here for a while so missed out adde8ng the quote.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #7,350 of 7,699
I was trying to reply to some.comments where some people were getting static noise when turning the plug.... and that plug... how many.plug could.you actually find on your iem?
The tsr.or tssr plug.is what I meant.
If you buy replacement cable, usually they come with gold plated plug which would.not cause that kind of static.
Haven't been here for a while so missed out adde8ng the quote.

I understand.
I prefer to buy a ready made cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back