Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7,322 of 7,699
  can someone send me a picture of what does the tape mod look like? or are there any tutorial to do it? and how's the cable in toxic cables? is it better or there are cheaper alternatives I live in Australia btw if there are any local stores that ships in NSW that will be great

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #7,324 of 7,699
he doesn't mock the IE80, they were bleeding(sound), and he patched them up like a loving nurse.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #7,325 of 7,699

After having new wood flooring laid I bought a selection of those protectors that you put underneath furniture to prevent scratching the wood surface. Included in that selection were little transparent self adhering circles which fit perfectly over the bass adjustment holes in the IE80. I imagine you could find similar in your local hardware store which is where I got these from. If I can work out how to do it I'll take and post a picture.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #7,326 of 7,699
After having new wood flooring laid I bought a selection of those protectors that you put underneath furniture to prevent scratching the wood surface. Included in that selection were little transparent self adhering circles which fit perfectly over the bass adjustment holes in the IE80. I imagine you could find similar in your local hardware store which is where I got these from. If I can work out how to do it I'll take and post a picture.

Thanks. I think I know what you are referring to. I never knew there were such tiny ones. Please do share a picture when you get a chance.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #7,332 of 7,699
So I'm considering buying these.  I'm looking for some high-quality IEMs for daily use, including running.  On the one hand, I like the replaceable cable since the failure point on every set of earbuds/IEMs I've ever owned was the cable wearing out near the connector.  On the other hand I've seen some comments indicating that the cables can intermittently disconnect at the earpieces.  Can anyone comment on that issue?  Also I'm seeing talk in the thread over the last few pages with the tape-mods and so on - I'm not completely clear on what that's about.  Is there a problem with the earpieces, or is it just sort of a tinkering thing where you guys are trying to see what happens?

My main headphones are V-Moda M-100s which I really love the sound of.  I was also thinking about the V-Moda Zn, however I'm a bit put off by the bulky smartphone controls and cable splitter.  I feel like that stuff would annoy me a lot, especially when I'm walking or running.  Any comparisons between the sound of the M-100 and the IE80 would be welcome.  Cheers!

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #7,333 of 7,699
  So I'm considering buying these.  I'm looking for some high-quality IEMs for daily use, including running.  On the one hand, I like the replaceable cable since the failure point on every set of earbuds/IEMs I've ever owned was the cable wearing out near the connector.  On the other hand I've seen some comments indicating that the cables can intermittently disconnect at the earpieces.  Can anyone comment on that issue?  Also I'm seeing talk in the thread over the last few pages with the tape-mods and so on - I'm not completely clear on what that's about.  Is there a problem with the earpieces, or is it just sort of a tinkering thing where you guys are trying to see what happens?

My main headphones are V-Moda M-100s which I really love the sound of.  I was also thinking about the V-Moda Zn, however I'm a bit put off by the bulky smartphone controls and cable splitter.  I feel like that stuff would annoy me a lot, especially when I'm walking or running.  Any comparisons between the sound of the M-100 and the IE80 would be welcome.  Cheers!

I owned both the M100 and the IE80. IMO they are pretty much on the same level regarding the overall impression of sound quality. There are differences, but they play in the same league, as much as IEMs and headphones can play in the same league. So IMO the choice comes down to whether you want headphones or IEMs, pure practical reasons. IE80 is obviously much more portable, but you might going to have difficulties with finding a good sealing tip. Not impossible though.
If you want me to compare only the sound, I could say something like this: IEM sound is more in your head, while headphone sound is pretty much around your head. A different listening experience. But I can say, bass on M100 is slightly stronger. IE80 might be a little more balanced, and definitely has more clarity. Mids are similarly recessed on both, treble is not over-emphasized, but maybe little more balanced on IE80. IE80 also isolates much better, being an IEM. Mostly because of the latter, I prefer IE80 for portable use. Therefore I sold the M100, because for home use I have better headphones.
Hope, this helps a little.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #7,334 of 7,699
I originally had an IE8 that was replaced under warranty with an IE80 from Sennheiser. I never quite liked it as much with the harder wire and somewhat bassist response, and eventually noticed that they would cause static if the headphone jack was turned. For some reason they seem to require a specific positioning or else there is static. This is the case from any source (my iPhone, laptop, etc.). I thought I got a defect so I got them replaced again and same thing! What is going on? This never happened with my IE8s

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7,335 of 7,699
Don't have that issue with my IE80's, also never read about it before. Does it also give static noises on other sources?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back