Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #7,111 of 7,699
Guys, does tape mod improve isolation?
Any other tips for improving it?

I find IE80s isolation sucks at best.
WITH comply isolation tips!

I had them for a few weeks now, and I do like the sound but isolation is really poor.

BTW, comply tx500 tips suck too, pair fell apart in a week, fingers crossed other two pair would last longer.
Old comply tips on my gr07 seem to be much more durable, and seem to hold shape longer.
New ones come back really quick after you squeeze them.

For me

Spiral dots - best seal
Auvio - best isolation

IE80 are not isolating iem though so not a huge difference between those 2.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #7,112 of 7,699
I'm more of an Ety guy and I don't find the IE 80's isolation to be lacking too much. It's not great for an IEM, but pretty acceptable overall and still better than many closed cans I've heard. They're roughly on par with my HD-25 in terms of isolation. Good for urban use IMO.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #7,113 of 7,699
4-5 times a year when I use IE80 I am very happy, 3 years ago I was crazy enough to have custom tips made for the IEMs. I wouldn't do it now, as I'd rather invest into an upgrade. But IE80 with custom tips is actually good enough for occasional traveling. Isolation, comfort and seal obviously couldn't be more perfect. With custom tips they definitely isolate significantly better than any closed headphone I heard. 
If someone really loves these IEMs, I'd still suggest to pay for custom tips, instead of buying new Comply tips every two weeks. Of course, if someone doesn't like IE80 that much, rather sell it and with the money for the custom tips buy a better pair of IEMs. They won't necessarily isolate better, but might sound better. Especially for frequent use. For me IE80 is a "good enough" option. Since I already have custom tips, and I use them just few times a year, I won't invest into a new IEM for £600. My home rig is the priority for me. :)

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #7,116 of 7,699

what would you recommend to buy? with the money selling the ie80, so i assume more or less the same price range?

I said, with the money you would spend on custom tips plus selling the IE80. That is around £300. Suggestion depends on what music you listen to and what sound signature you are after.

EDIT: I am not very much into IEMs, but you could have a look at the followings around this price: Vsonic GR-07, FLC 8s, Flare Audio R2A, PSB Speakers M4U 4, Finder X1, etc. Tons of options. Only your ears can tell, which are the best for you. IE80s are also great IEMs for the price imo, if you get good seal and like bass.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #7,117 of 7,699
Btw, is channel fading out/imbalance a common problem on the IE 80? Seems that my left driver went 50% quieter for a couple of seconds before going back to normal(?). Hope it's just an illusion as I'm already having a hard time with my UM Pro 30 connectors.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #7,118 of 7,699
  Btw, is channel fading out/imbalance a common problem on the IE 80? Seems that my left driver went 50% quieter for a couple of seconds before going back to normal(?). Hope it's just an illusion as I'm already having a hard time with my UM Pro 30 connectors.

Never heard about imbalance issues with IE80s in the last 5 years.
I am pretty sure, it is sealing problem. The same silicon tip in your left ear probably doesn't isolate as well as the right one.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #7,119 of 7,699

Never heard about imbalance issues with IE80s in the last 5 years.
I am pretty sure, it is sealing problem. The same silicon tip in your left ear probably doesn't isolate as well as the right one.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about that too as the IE 80 is pretty fit dependent... As I moved the cable around my ear the sound seemed to come back up. Not sure whether it is the possibly defective cable or the bad sealing I got though. Will be watching carefully.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #7,120 of 7,699
chan imbalance in IEM is the dirty secret of audio, pretty much all IEMs suffer some of it or at least some at a given frequency. but it's a permanent issue for a given pair, no fluctuation.
could also be the protecting grid getting dirty on one side and attenuating the sound, but this also wouldn't come and go. you have it or you don't.

so for a problem that lasted only a few secs, as suggested, maybe as simple as the seal with the ear canal not being good, else I can only think about connectivity trouble. the cable itself, or the plugs(could also be on the source's side).

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #7,121 of 7,699
chan imbalance in IEM is the dirty secret of audio, pretty much all IEMs suffer some of it or at least some at a given frequency. but it's a permanent issue for a given pair, no fluctuation.
could also be the protecting grid getting dirty on one side and attenuating the sound, but this also wouldn't come and go. you have it or you don't.

so for a problem that lasted only a few secs, as suggested, maybe as simple as the seal with the ear canal not being good, else I can only think about connectivity trouble. the cable itself, or the plugs(could also be on the source's side).

Castleofargh might have hit the nail on the head. The grille design on the IE 80s means the the grille fills up and despite the tool it becomes hard to clean. This ear wax eventually drops into the space between the grille and the driver and starts to attenuate the sound. Imagine it moving around inside and how that would affect the sound depending on where it was.

I thought I had lost the right channel on mine until someone mentioned a cleaning solution.

I soaked both stems for 24 hours in food grade hydrogen peroxide, making sure it didn't reach the drivers. The muck that came out of the right side especially was quite astonishing and suddenly I had both channels operating again.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #7,122 of 7,699

... else I can only think about connectivity trouble. the cable itself, or the plugs(could also be on the source's side).

Check the connector at the earpieces. I've encountered increased contact resistance and volume drop on rare occasions over the years. Just replugged the connector a few times and it was back to normal again.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #7,123 of 7,699

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about that too as the IE 80 is pretty fit dependent... As I moved the cable around my ear the sound seemed to come back up. Not sure whether it is the possibly defective cable or the bad sealing I got though. Will be watching carefully.

Might be cable or connector problem then. Try to unplug and replug the cable to the IEM a couple of times. (And check if the pins are alright.)

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #7,124 of 7,699
Just cleaned up the pins and sockets with a bit of cotton and alcohol. They're 100% undamaged. Should be fine from now on (should be). 
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #7,125 of 7,699

... else I can only think about connectivity trouble. the cable itself, or the plugs(could also be on the source's side).

Check the connector at the earpieces. I've encountered increased contact resistance and volume drop on rare occasions over the years. Just replugged the connector a few times and it was back to normal again.

When I had my IE8/IE80 that would happen every once in a while. Problem was always the connector.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back