Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,181 of 7,699
If anyone wants to be of help to me, i really need some views and votes on my thread. I am trying to make someone invest in my application, i cannot buy a new laptop to build it. 

It is about a software for playing music. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764517/new-application-that-does-high-resolution-resampling-with-lanczos-algorithm-new-user-interface-all-operating-systems

To keep this connected to ie8/80 thread, i am using a pair of them as some of the few headphones used for beta testing.

May 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #6,182 of 7,699
i want to buy the ie80 , is it very bassy , it know that the bass can be controlled here... but what about the lowest bass setting is it significantly bassy, then i would not consider them buying and will be getting the shure se425 instead ..

May 2, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6,184 of 7,699
  i want to buy the ie80 , is it very bassy , it know that the bass can be controlled here... but what about the lowest bass setting is it significantly bassy, then i would not consider them buying and will be getting the shure se425 instead ..

the bass setting is only about how much roll off there is in the sub bass. at any setting it's a very bassy IEM. that's pretty much what makes it so cool, but of course you first have to like massive boosted bass.

Would you guys consider these a good upgrade from the gr07?

it has a 8 in its name instead of a 7
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,185 of 7,699
On my set the knob is turned half and it sounds correct for my ear, great bass but without overblowing the rest, you won't find much better at this price point

May 2, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #6,186 of 7,699
  the bass setting is only about how much roll off there is in the sub bass. at any setting it's a very bassy IEM. that's pretty much what makes it so cool, but of course you first have to like massive boosted bass.

it has a 8 in its name instead of a 7
biggrin.gif

On my set the knob is turned half and it sounds correct for my ear, great bass but without overblowing the rest, you won't find much better at this price point

Thanks you guys for the replies, thing is my brother recently purchased a sennheiser momentum in-ear , i was hearing the sound of it on my phone htc m8 and it is just too bassy ,, feels irritating at times .. but the clarity is good ... so i was looking for an IEM with a little less bass and good clarity and since the bass is adjustable on the ie80 so i wanted to know if these are fun at the lower bass setting as well . I like the bass but dont want it overwhelming .... I mostly listen to edm music so bass is a must ... i heard some bose earphones ..cant recall the model but they were quite bass lacking and i just couldnot accept that with the kind of the music that i listen to ...

May 2, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #6,187 of 7,699

Thanks you guys for the replies, thing is my brother recently purchased a sennheiser momentum in-ear , i was hearing the sound of it on my phone htc m8 and it is just too bassy ,, feels irritating at times .. but the clarity is good ... so i was looking for an IEM with a little less bass and good clarity and since the bass is adjustable on the ie80 so i wanted to know if these are fun at the lower bass setting as well . I like the bass but dont want it overwhelming .... I mostly listen to edm music so bass is a must ... i heard some bose earphones ..cant recall the model but they were quite bass lacking and i just couldnot accept that with the kind of the music that i listen to ...

i never heared momentum in ear, but there are eq settings to use, you should be able to make bass be as much as you want it to be.

Ie80 are bass heavy. the bass can be overwhelming at times, but most of times it is not, it sounds just fun and natural. (natural, as it sounds in a live performance, i had been to enough concerts, to guarantee that bass can be heared and felt in a live, good sounding concert)

May 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #6,188 of 7,699
  i never heared momentum in ear, but there are eq settings to use, you should be able to make bass be as much as you want it to be.

Ie80 are bass heavy. the bass can be overwhelming at times, but most of times it is not, it sounds just fun and natural. (natural, as it sounds in a live performance, i had been to enough concerts, to guarantee that bass can be heared and felt in a live, good sounding concert)

I am buying these today and wanted to get an initial opinion on these .... i really appreciate the replies ... just a concern, heard that these require quite a burn in ... as the bass in muddy at first so what are your opinions on this ???

May 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #6,189 of 7,699

You don´t have to take my word for it, but the IE80 is better than the Momentum, even the big ones. An alternative could be Philips Fidelio S2 ,

May 2, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #6,190 of 7,699
  I am buying these today and wanted to get an initial opinion on these .... i really appreciate the replies ... just a concern, heard that these require quite a burn in ... as the bass in muddy at first so what are your opinions on this ???

i do not belive in burn in, but users said that you would need around 400 hours for them to sound "as they should".

I used them and listened to them from day 1, and there have passed 5 and half years since then. 

I had changed 8 audio sources for this. Even if there was noticeable burn in, i would had not noticed it, as different sources sound much more different than burn in effects.

The entire sound out of the box was amazing for me, just amazing, it felt great and alive, i never had a problem with it, i recommend everyone to use them while burning, it is extremely nice to notice changes if they happen. I strongly stand against letting them burn in, because it is much more fun to use them at all times!

May 2, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #6,191 of 7,699
  i do not belive in burn in, but users said that you would need around 400 hours for them to sound "as they should".

I used them and listened to them from day 1, and there have passed 5 and half years since then. 

I had changed 8 audio sources for this. Even if there was noticeable burn in, i would had not noticed it, as different sources sound much more different than burn in effects.

The entire sound out of the box was amazing for me, just amazing, it felt great and alive, i never had a problem with it, i recommend everyone to use them while burning, it is extremely nice to notice changes if they happen. I strongly stand against letting them burn in, because it is much more fun to use them at all times!

Thanks ... will update as soon as i get these ... 

May 2, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #6,192 of 7,699
I've had the IE8's (near identical to 80's for over 5yrs. The midbass is boosted at 100Hz and bleeds over other frequencies giving a thick dark sound. EQ sorts this for me. A 2dB cut at 100hz. 2dB lift in the extreme treble. If you don't want to EQ buy different phones. From what you say you will not like the IE80's.

May 2, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #6,193 of 7,699

Thanks ... will update as soon as i get these ... 

I've had the IE8's (near identical to 80's for over 5yrs. The midbass is boosted at 100Hz and bleeds over other frequencies giving a thick dark sound. EQ sorts this for me. A 2dB cut at 100hz. 2dB lift in the extreme treble. If you don't want to EQ buy different phones. From what you say you will not like the IE80's.

this can alse be true.

it all depends on what refference you use. 

I would never use ie8 without additional EQ-ing. They do not have enough treble, and have a tad too much 100hz bass, but why would anyone never use EQ?

May 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,194 of 7,699
Just received these.... soundstage is better than momentum in-ears , kept the bass setting to default .. i dont feel they have overwhelming bass ... this os not hurting myears...however i think the cable quality could have been better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back