Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5,866 of 7,699
Very poetic Bestula but sorry. I don't buy it. You are drawing in all kinds of unrelated topics even love! To support your dreamscape. I wish you all the good things in your world though.
smily_headphones1.gif

The more you see, the more you can enjoy. :wink:
We are different. Diversity is one of the most amazing thing in the transient world. :wink: :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,867 of 7,699

yet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

the IE80 needs very little power= fact.
it has a flat impedance response so it will still have about the same signature on a 3ohm DAP= another fact.
it has a nice soundstage even on source with crap crosstalk= subjective opinion
it will sound better with an amp added to the phone= that just an idea, all sources have an amp section. so it's only a matter of having one amp better than the other. some amps are crap, some phones are pretty good. so that statement can be false and is not a fact.

but it's not like we're saying that an IE80 will sound bad on a great amp
wink_face.gif
. I have an amp and sometimes I use it with the IE80. but mostly I don't and keep the amp for IEMs that need it. so I think it's ok for once if we suggest not to give into consumerism when it isn't really needed an might not change much.

Yes, you are right. 
But it is not only good amp/bad amp, good source/bad source, good hp/bad hp etc... There seem to be good pairings, and less good pairings. One amp can sound magnific with a certain headphone, and less good with an other... There are main streams, like pairings which sound good for many people, but there can be exceptions... (subjectivity)
IE80 does not really need an extra amp, I totally agree. But if someone has extra few hundred pounds or dollars, they can experiment... Many depends on the budget...
I would not pay 200 pounds for a 10% improvement in my portable gear... But maybe someone would... 

sure. as an individual I will do whatever I want and need for my sound, and so should everybody. but those choices might not fit someone else's needs(or wallet). that's only for that reason that I think we need to make a clean distinction between facts and preferences and identify them the best we can when we post.
a little "I think" at the beginning of a sentence can make a world of difference.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #5,868 of 7,699

sure. as an individual I will do whatever I want and need for my sound, and so should everybody. but those choices might not fit someone else's needs(or wallet). that's only for that reason that I think we need to make a clean distinction between facts and preferences and identify them the best we can when we post.
a little "I think" at the beginning of a sentence can make a world of difference.

Yes, indeed. 
Interesting question is, if there are facts at all... :)

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,869 of 7,699

Yes, indeed. 
Interesting question is, if there are facts at all... :)

to me facts are stuff that will be right each time we will test for them under the same conditions. repeatability is what makes it a fact. if I know one thing will always happen, then I can talk about it to other people and expect them to also experience it. making my statement factual.
sometimes opinions are like that too, but not always. if I think that hammering my headphone will break it, I can keep it at the stage of opinion. and even if I decide not to conduct the experiment, we all have the knowledge to accept it as a fact. so there are some things where information can replace experience(good thing for my headphone ^_^). but maybe if I don't strike hard enough, I will not hit the membrane and the headphone will still work. so I keep this as an opinion until I can define how much strength is needed for a sure kill ^_^.

it's interesting philosophy but we're going so far off topic that the roman patrol might come get us
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #5,870 of 7,699

to me facts are stuff that will be right each time we will test for them under the same conditions. repeatability is what makes it a fact. if I know one thing will always happen, then I can talk about it to other people and expect them to also experience it. making my statement factual.
sometimes opinions are like that too, but not always. if I think that hammering my headphone will break it, I can keep it at the stage of opinion. and even if I decide not to conduct the experiment, we all have the knowledge to accept it as a fact. so there are some things where information can replace experience(good thing for my headphone ^_^). but maybe if I don't strike hard enough, I will not hit the membrane and the headphone will still work. so I keep this as an opinion until I can define how much strength is needed for a sure kill ^_^.

it's interesting philosophy but we're going so far off topic that the roman patrol might come get us
biggrin.gif

Facts like this exist, of course, but previously we were talking about sound quality, and sound quality improvement with changing DAC or player, and if it is worth to buy a more expensive one, or not... Facts become slippery here, as everyone have different preference, and budget... 
It is not that off topic. But I will try to keep it closer to the 'line of this thread'. :wink:

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5,872 of 7,699
I think it's good to broaden the topic a little. After 5870 posts we don't really need to discuss the Veil any more!!

15posts from last page time 391page=5865, +the 5posts of this page before your own post= 5870
cool.gif

I got you rain man!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5,874 of 7,699
Hey guys, I just got my IE80s recently :) Love them. I have a ASUS Essence STX soundcard in my PC, but it sticks out the back. From my seating position I cannot have the IE80s plugged in and sit in my chair (I would have to be under my desk for the wire to reach.) What type of "extender" cable would I need to go from my sound card to the IE80s without losing sound quality? 

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,875 of 7,699
  Hey guys, I just got my IE80s recently :) Love them. I have a ASUS Essence STX soundcard in my PC, but it sticks out the back. From my seating position I cannot have the IE80s plugged in and sit in my chair (I would have to be under my desk for the wire to reach.) What type of "extender" cable would I need to go from my sound card to the IE80s without losing sound quality? 

Just get a very long cable that has the same connector.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #5,876 of 7,699

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #5,877 of 7,699
  http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813

Thanks! The only thing I am concerned about is that I ordered something just like that from amazon, and it made the audio quality crap. It was just female to male, so maybe I need to try female to male+male (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5613&seq=1&format=2)

I still am just concerned it won't work out again...hmm.

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #5,879 of 7,699
I tried a male to female I bought from Amazon and it made the audio quality crap. Perhaps I need a male+male to female? (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5613&seq=1&format=2)

I'm worried it will still not work...

Uh, I think it's because the quality of the cable you had was just crap. Probably a ton of impurities in the copper and such. You're best bet to spending a bit of money on a custom cable with OCC copper wires and the length of your choice. It will cost you though.

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #5,880 of 7,699
 fullsize headphones cables usually stay around 10feet(3m). try staying below that too including the IE80 cable length itself. else I wouldn't worry about it or start spending big money for an extension cord.

when you said the sound was bad with the cable you tried, was the sound actually good with the IE80 alone plugged into the same soundcard's output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back