Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #6,946 of 7,990
I thought it was cosmetic change only?

You know george after reading many of your posts mentioned what type of sound you prefer i think you would really love Earsonics SEM9.

That sounds really interesting!

I surely will look into them now that you mentioned them!

I am also quite intrigued by Dunu IEMs as they seem great as well!

I know that Sennheiser mentioned that ie800 Dior will have only a cosmetic change, but in my mind, having a cosmetic change will mean that the coating of the IEM housing is different which might change the resonance frequencies of the housing which might result in a slightly different signature and that is something I am really curious about!!

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #6,947 of 7,990
That sounds really interesting!

I surely will look into them now that you mentioned them!

I am also quite intrigued by Dunu IEMs as they seem great as well!

I know that Sennheiser mentioned that ie800 Dior will have only a cosmetic change, but in my mind, having a cosmetic change will mean that the coating of the IEM housing is different which might change the resonance frequencies of the housing which might result in a slightly different signature and that is something I am really curious about!!

The coating of the housing isnt what would effect the sound in any way it is the housing material itself. Im sure sennheiser would have wanted to keep the sound the same as it is only cosmetic and it if the material used were to effect the sounded it would most likely be compensated for.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #6,949 of 7,990
i usually come back to head-fi everytime i buy something new and.... wtfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
this crap is dope!
I prefer these IEM's over my Beryer T1 and HD800!!!!
Man I didn't think i'd say that but omg I'm really impressed, I thought my damn LG tone platinums were the best on the market but this just slaughters it.

Anyway just wanted to put in my 2c, got it from DWI on ebay with the current EOFY 15% off sales which come on every now and then during the month, think was $600ish AUD.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #6,950 of 7,990
i usually come back to head-fi everytime i buy something new and.... wtfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
this **** is dope!
I prefer these IEM's over my Beryer T1 and HD800!!!!
Man I didn't think i'd say that but omg I'm really impressed, I thought my damn LG tone platinums were the best on the market but this just slaughters it.

Anyway just wanted to put in my 2c, got it from DWI on ebay with the current EOFY 15% off sales which come on every now and then during the month, think was $600ish AUD.

Woah, it makes me happy to see someone so enthused over something!

Personal experience: I also like ie800's particular sound better than a lot of the headphones out there, especially the mid range and guitar solos sound really juicy on i800.

After trying spinfits and giving up on spinfits due to the changes they brought to the sound, I went back to listening to ie800 with thier round medium tips and they are still as amazing as they were the first day I got them!

Also reviewed Sennheiser M2 IEBT recently, and they have some traces of ie800 in them, almost like a mini ie800 but in bluetooth format.

I wish Sennheiser keeps up the great work with their IEMs.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #6,951 of 7,990

Due to an issue (no sound from right side) just had some ie800s swapped out by Sennheiser for a new pair, can’t really say there is any difference from the previous pair, was sure the first pair had to break-in…obviously psychosomatic as these sound perfect fresh from the box....Bach's Flute Sonatas played by Emmanuel Pahud never sounded better. :)

ps. Very fast turn around by Sennheiser...almost over night.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,952 of 7,990
Due to an issue (no sound from right side) just had some ie800s swapped out by Sennheiser for a new pair, can’t really say there is any difference from the previous pair, was sure the first pair had to break-in…obviously psychosomatic as these sound perfect fresh from the box....Bach's Flute Sonatas played by Emmanuel Pahud never sounded better. :)

ps. Very fast turn around by Sennheiser...almost over night.

Super cool!

I also had excellent service with Sennheiser, they do great work with their customers.

I didn't experience much burn-in either to be honest, but I seem to experience much more mental burn-in than physical burn-in, for example, in the same day, something sounds light in the morning and dark in the evening and such, there's very little coherency over those things so I won't believe in mechanical burn-in for the time to come, or at least, not exactly believe in that.

Fatigue and mental state can have a bigger impact than actual burn-in.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #6,953 of 7,990
Super cool!
Fatigue and mental state can have a bigger impact than actual burn-in.

The time of day, the seasons or even the alignment of the planets :triportsad: have a huge influence over us IMHO.....:beyersmile:

and yes I've had exemplary customer service... with Sennheiser Canada over the years..

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,954 of 7,990
The time of day, the seasons or even the alignment of the planets :triportsad: have a huge influence over us IMHO.....:beyersmile:

and yes I've had exemplary customer service... with Sennheiser Canada over the years..

In my case, I'm highly sensitive to any stridency or grain in the upper frequencies, so my experience has been positive with burn-in, but not in every instance. When I bought my first AK240, it was very apparent to me that it needed burn-in, and it took a few hundred hours for the upper frequencies to settle in. A month after I purchased it, my unit had a problem which necessitated a new replacement. Sure enough, the same anomalies in the highs were present again, and after a couple weeks, the sound returned to my former burned-in 240. I went through this experience again when I bought my new 240SS.

I believe since we all hear differently from each other, it seems logical that we all have different sensitivities when it comes to any anomalies in the frequency range, thus, burn-in is not necessarily experienced by everyone.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,955 of 7,990

In my case, I'm highly sensitive to any stridency or grain in the upper frequencies, so my experience has been positive with burn-in, but not in every instance. When I bought my first AK240, it was very apparent to me that it needed burn-in, and it took a few hundred hours for the upper frequencies to settle in. A month after I purchased it, my unit had a problem which necessitated a new replacement. Sure enough, the same anomalies in the highs were present again, and after a couple weeks, the sound returned to my former burned-in 240. I went through this experience again when I bought my new 240SS.

I believe since we all hear differently from each other, it seems logical that we all have different sensitivities when it comes to any anomalies in the frequency range, thus, burn-in is not necessarily experienced by everyone.

We are all influenced by the universal electromagnetic pulse flux and it's polarity! Burn-in means little next to the pulse of our universe //mad laugh!

As for upper frequencies, I am sensitive to rolled off treble. I am really glad to hear strong treble though. I never had something sound peaky on me, but I heard things sounding strident when I increased the treble too much on some setups.

if you're sensitive to treble, there are many equipment that sounds smooth or that smoothen out the sound.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #6,956 of 7,990
Hi, i'm newbie in this forum, just want to give review and appreciation for my IE800 recabling done by vesper audio.

i have my ie800 since 2014, unfortunately one side of the cable loosen up, so i decided to recabling, and seems one of the driver is broken as well

it takes few months to wait for driver replacement, and finally the work is done

for total cost for recabling is 134 US$, but i paid additional fee for driver replacement, overall the work is good and i'm satisfied with the result

if you guys need more information, feel free to contact me

I also just got my ie800s back from vesper audio with only the mmcx mod. Everything looks great but the sound signature has changed. It sounds like the eq for the bass turned all the way down treble all the way up. I contacted them about it but no rely yet. I was really hoping to see how they sound with different cables but now it is painful to listen to them at even low volumes. Anyone know why this might be?

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #6,957 of 7,990
Well... It WAS $600 for an IEM... A single wire... With earbuds attached to them... So I actually messaged them to cancel the order but they said it has already shipped out and to reject it if I don't want it... Took the gamble and boom, zero buyers remorse.
I then used it 6+ hrs straight on the PC without any burning in necessary since it sounded great right out of the box with no fatigue etc like I would with different over ear headphones.

The reason why I love it so much is cause of how great everything sounded on it unlike half my tracks sounding like rubbish on the HD800, as in 1 instrument may be more emphasised than the other and is imbalanced at times causing me to turn the volume higher than necessary.

I didn't think a single piece of IEM with no $1k dac/amp requirement would sound this good, nor does it take up a huge chunk of space and can be carried with you anywhere etc hence the <3

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #6,958 of 7,990
I also just got my ie800s back from vesper audio with only the mmcx mod. Everything looks great but the sound signature has changed. It sounds like the eq for the bass turned all the way down treble all the way up. I contacted them about it but no rely yet. I was really hoping to see how they sound with different cables but now it is painful to listen to them at even low volumes. Anyone know why this might be?

I have no idea what could had happened there or how to help you...

Well... It WAS $600 for an IEM... A single wire... With earbuds attached to them... So I actually messaged them to cancel the order but they said it has already shipped out and to reject it if I don't want it... Took the gamble and boom, zero buyers remorse.
I then used it 6+ hrs straight on the PC without any burning in necessary since it sounded great right out of the box with no fatigue etc like I would with different over ear headphones.

The reason why I love it so much is cause of how great everything sounded on it unlike half my tracks sounding like rubbish on the HD800, as in 1 instrument may be more emphasised than the other and is imbalanced at times causing me to turn the volume higher than necessary.

I didn't think a single piece of IEM with no $1k dac/amp requirement would sound this good, nor does it take up a huge chunk of space and can be carried with you anywhere etc hence the <3

Oh yes, I totally get that point! I would usually EQ anything I use, including HD800, but ie800 works amazing for me with zero EQ. I think that ie800 nailed the frequency response of real music perfectly. Maybe with +1 dB at 1kHz would help, but that is too minor to speak about.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #6,959 of 7,990
I have no idea what could had happened there or how to help you...

Oh yes, I totally get that point! I would usually EQ anything I use, including HD800, but ie800 works amazing for me with zero EQ. I think that ie800 nailed the frequency response of real music perfectly. Maybe with +1 dB at 1kHz would help, but that is too minor to speak about.
I'm sorry George but you will not hear a difference with only a bump of just +1 db at any frequency.

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #6,960 of 7,990
I also just got my ie800s back from vesper audio with only the mmcx mod. Everything looks great but the sound signature has changed. It sounds like the eq for the bass turned all the way down treble all the way up....?

Tips, tips, tips...they make or break the IE800s more than any iem I've used....too small or not inserted deep enough = no base and tinny treble.....too large=lack of air/sound stage and or base reduction....if medium are almost perfect try the oval medium tips...etc, etc..it's all a compromise but with the appropriate tip and proper insertion the is800 are IMHO hard to beat as a full range balanced transducer.... : )
Having said that...due to our different ear/canal sizes some may not find the proper fit regardless. : (

....Sorry I'm not familiar with mmcx mod....new cable???...maybe wired out of phase????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back