Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #6,931 of 7,998
also the ifi iDSD bl is a little cheaper here than the mojo.

You can use iDSD BL from almost any smartphone, it has 100% of its sound quality this way. (You might need to buy a 1-5$ USB OTG cable for it to work)

Be sure to read instructions on iDSD BL, it has some pretty interesting that you need to know before starting to use it.

All in all, you should always pick the one that best suits your needs, from most reviews and opinions, I do think that one will be quite happy with either, try to look into all their properties and abilities. I do recommend iDSD BL, it is the device I use daily with both ie800 and other headphones and it serves me really well.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #6,932 of 7,998
Well,the sound from the right earphone completely died yesterday,so after almost 3 years,just in time for the warranty to expire,i have to say goodbye to this great sounding but of suspect quality iem.It's been a fun ride..

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6,933 of 7,998
Well,the sound from the right earphone completely died yesterday,so after almost 3 years,just in time for the warranty to expire,i have to say goodbye to this great sounding but of suspect quality iem.It's been a fun ride..

That sucks man, im assuming sennheiser cant really help you after this amount of time? but i was looking at senns spare parts store and with the original receipt you can buy the top portion of the cable (with the earphones connected) for less than half the price of a brand new set so thats good to know.

How far the flagships have come since IE800 launched, now you can go and buy those recent TOTL in ears at $3,000+ :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #6,934 of 7,998

You should contact Sennheiser and ask them how much does a replacement cost. The sound of ie800 is impossible to replace...

That sucks man, im assuming sennheiser cant really help you after this amount of time? but i was looking at senns spare parts store and with the original receipt you can buy the top portion of the cable (with the earphones connected) for less than half the price of a brand new set so thats good to know.

How far the flagships have come since IE800 launched, now you can go and buy those recent TOTL in ears at $3,000+ :wink:

But what happens if those don't have the magical treble sparkle and the awesome instrument separation of ie800? :worried:

I am quite afraid to even test other TOTL IEMs since the sparkly yet well controlled and ultra detailed treble of ie800 really made me fall in love with them and many TOTL IEMs are said to be smooth, which would really destroy my experience...

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #6,935 of 7,998
You should contact Sennheiser and ask them how much does a replacement cost. The sound of ie800 is impossible to replace...

But what happens if those don't have the magical treble sparkle and the awesome instrument separation of ie800? :worried:

I am quite afraid to even test other TOTL IEMs since the sparkly yet well controlled and ultra detailed treble of ie800 really made me fall in love with them and many TOTL IEMs are said to be smooth, which would really destroy my experience...

Regarding the treble, do you mean smooth as in dull or smooth as in refined?

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6,936 of 7,998
Regarding the treble, do you mean smooth as in dull or smooth as in refined?

Anything duller, anything less bright and anything less energetic than ie800 probably wouldn't be worth the effort for me since it would still need EQ.

I use lots of EQ for cheaper products, especially those who have smooth signatures (rolled off like SE846 or just not as energetic / bright), but I would want the absolute top end to not need any EQ to sound its best if possible

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #6,937 of 7,998
Anything duller, anything less bright and anything less energetic than ie800 probably wouldn't be worth the effort for me since it would still need EQ.

I use lots of EQ for cheaper products, especially those who have smooth signatures (rolled off like SE846 or just not as energetic / bright), but I would want the absolute top end to not need any EQ to sound its best if possible

Well you can also have very detailed,airy, extended, sparkly treble at the same time as it being smooth. its a lot of hard work and refinement but its achievable. This is the apex of treble quality in my opinion. A lot of companies try but not all succeed in one way or another. The main one being the rest of the freq suffers especially when attempted to try and include this kind of refined treble at a lower price. Pinnacle P1 for example has that quality to it, its very impressive but the rest suffers, sub bass is lacking, mids are ok, timbre is not very good either.

SE846 was horrible imo, not only was the treble hard it was also chopped off after 8khz. had me feeling like i was listening to speakers in a small shoe box.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,938 of 7,998
Well you can also have very detailed,airy, extended, sparkly treble at the same time as it being smooth. its a lot of hard work and refinement but its achievable. This is the apex of treble quality in my opinion. A lot of companies try but not all succeed in one way or another. The main one being the rest of the freq suffers especially when attempted to try and include this kind of refined treble at a lower price. Pinnacle P1 for example has that quality to it, its very impressive but the rest suffers, sub bass is lacking, mids are ok, timbre is not very good either.

SE846 was horrible imo, not only was the treble hard it was also chopped off after 8khz. had me feeling like i was listening to speakers in a small shoe box.

That's interesting, thank you for confirming it for me.

I love the natural way treble sounds with ie800, energetic, lively and just natural. I am curious what other IEMs must do, but they must have at least the same amount of raw treble energy to be interesting for me.

As for refinement, I don't want any smothness, I want the treble to be just like it would be live, a cymbal crash must not be a velvety touch, those aren't natural and work badly with any music for me. But if a treble is more refined and has more details while being this type of energetic and natural, then I'm really interested! This is one of the reasons I love ie800 so much - extremely refined and detailed treble that is really lively and energetic, this is a perfect sound and most of my other equipment is actually EQ'ed to emulate ie800 in their sound.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6,939 of 7,998
I'm a little behind on this thread, but now that the German show is over, has there been any new news about the special edition IE 800 ... price, availability?

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #6,941 of 7,998
The dior homme version?

Yes.

I'm wondering how much of a hit I'll have to take on my six month old IE 800. With all the counterfeits on the market, I believe the value of authentic versions has been lessened on the used market. There was a rumor that the DH version was going to retail for $800, but I don't know how valid that rumor was.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #6,943 of 7,998
I have actually subscribed on Sennheiser's site, but didn't receive any more data yet.

I am extremely curious about this new IE800 as ie800 has been my favorite IEM so far and I really want to know what its tweaked version will sound like.

I thought it was cosmetic change only?

You know george after reading many of your posts mentioned what type of sound you prefer i think you would really love Earsonics SEM9.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #6,944 of 7,998
I thought it was cosmetic change only?

You know george after reading many of your posts mentioned what type of sound you prefer i think you would really love Earsonics SEM9.

That was my understanding as well, purely cosmetic.

I'm intrigued by the top Earsonics IEMs.

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #6,945 of 7,998
Second, there isn't a completely new IE 800... but with the same sound tuning, there is the new Dior Homme Collection, including a recolored IE 800 with a matching wallet-case.

I want that case! :D

In regard to the connection, one thing I like about Sennheiser's different cable-detachment point is where the tension and release point is in an event of a snag. Some of the pin-type connectors that are at the ear pod can bend or stress the IEM capsule. On the IE 800, the cable is able to release at a safer point of the Y-split, which can help dodge some potential durability issues on the ear pod. As a portable headphone for use on-the-go, this can contribute to extra longevity in the face of the inevitable jostles and snags you run into along the way.

I can't speak to the availability of 3rd party tips to use instead of the 5 sizes included, but personal comfort is of course paramount and I'll bring it up in the next meeting.

As with all things, we’re always open to feedback and we value our customers opinions, so if you disagree, by all means let us know so we can consider your feedback for future designs down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back