Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,902 of 7,998
@kubig123 How you getting on with the customs?

Sorry I dint reply earlier, i’v been quite busy and I didn’t find the time to give enough attention to the plugs.

This is my 2 cents feedback based on my limited knowledge.

The first thing that I noticed is a reduction of the sound stage, you feel the music right in your head, on the other side the separation and the resolution has been increased compared to the regular silicon tips.

I’ve become more selective in the kind of music I’ve been listening with these customs tips, I really enjoy song where instruments play the major role. Songs like Telegraph Road, Les Ondes Orientales or Billy Evans’ The Lost Session from the Black Forest are becoming my favorite ones.

Again, this is just personal and humble opinion after only few hours of listening.

May 25, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #6,903 of 7,998
Sorry I dint reply earlier, i’v been quite busy and I didn’t find the time to give enough attention to the plugs.

This is my 2 cents feedback based on my limited knowledge.

The first thing that I noticed is a reduction of the sound stage, you feel the music right in your head, on the other side the separation and the resolution has been increased compared to the regular silicon tips.

I’ve become more selective in the kind of music I’ve been listening with these customs tips, I really enjoy song where instruments play the major role. Songs like Telegraph Road, Les Ondes Orientales or Billy Evans’ The Lost Session from the Black Forest are becoming my favorite ones.

Again, this is just personal and humble opinion after only few hours of listening.

No worries, i also noticed a slight decrease in soundstage. Many think the bass become too much with custom tips but fleshed out the treble. What do you think?

Cheers

May 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #6,904 of 7,998
No worries, i also noticed a slight decrease in soundstage. Many think the bass become too much with custom tips but fleshed out the treble. What do you think?

Cheers
I agree, both the bass and the treble acquire more emphasis with this tips, I don't mind, but it also depends of which kind of music I listen.

customs tips are not for everyone, some people might not appreciate how they transform the iems.

May 25, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #6,905 of 7,998
I agree, both the bass and the treble acquire more emphasis with this tips, I don't mind, but it also depends of which kind of music I listen.

customs tips are not for everyone, some people might not appreciate how they transform the iems.

Good to discuss this stuff with fellow custom tip owners as ie800 with custom moulds are few and far between. Because i didnt like the sound change from the tips i used careful eq to get them back to how they originally sounded.

May 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #6,906 of 7,998

If both bass and treble got a bit boosted then that means the mids gets pushed back a bit farther given that the ie800s already have a somewhat recessed mids?

May 28, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #6,908 of 7,998
If both bass and treble got a bit boosted then that means the mids gets pushed back a bit farther given that the ie800s already have a somewhat recessed mids?

Its true, I think the reason many people dont jump straight for custom tips on the IE800 is because of the compensating technology in the earphone, sennheiser kept things strict with the IE800; shallow nozzle and fit, proprietary tips and tried to make it to be worn down only. They knew tampering with even just the tips would degrade the sound they were wanting everyone to hear, although these proprietary things have shown to have their downsides too and even leads to many people just not being able to use them.

May 28, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #6,909 of 7,998
Its true, I think the reason many people dont jump straight for custom tips on the IE800 is because of the compensating technology in the earphone, sennheiser kept things strict with the IE800; shallow nozzle and fit, proprietary tips and tried to make it to be worn down only. They knew tampering with even just the tips would degrade the sound they were wanting everyone to hear, although these proprietary things have shown to have their downsides too and even leads to many people just not being able to use them.

I actually like their purist approach, ie800 sound absolutely best with their tips, if one washes those tips once after ~5 usages, they are golden. I can use them 5-30 times before needing to wash the tips, but let's be serious, that is a very small effort to be made given the amazing sound of ie800!

May 29, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #6,910 of 7,998
I actually like their purist approach, ie800 sound absolutely best with their tips, if one washes those tips once after ~5 usages, they are golden. I can use them 5-30 times before needing to wash the tips, but let's be serious, that is a very small effort to be made given the amazing sound of ie800!
I usually cleanse the tips using alcohol.

May 29, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #6,911 of 7,998
May 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #6,912 of 7,998
I usually cleanse the tips using alcohol.

I think about cleansing the tips while drinking alcohol :)

I just follow the guide provided by Sennheiser, they said to use warm water and soap, so I just follow their advice.

\\It would be fun to drink alcohol while listening to music, this is a part of the music experience I am missing sometimes. On the other hand, my sleep deprivation enhances music sometimes and gives an even better experience.

May 29, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6,913 of 7,998
Just wondering what you guys thoughts are? I have the Mojo and the PHA3, now ten days ago just got the Sony WM1A. Which would you guys pair with the ie800? I almost always like full size phones and not iem's. Had the ie800 for awhile. Well burn in, never listen to them more then 5 hours total. But now I am about to go back to the States for 2 weeks so I thought to get it a go. Thanks.

May 30, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #6,914 of 7,998
Just wondering what you guys thoughts are? I have the Mojo and the PHA3, now ten days ago just got the Sony WM1A. Which would you guys pair with the ie800? I almost always like full size phones and not iem's. Had the ie800 for awhile. Well burn in, never listen to them more then 5 hours total. But now I am about to go back to the States for 2 weeks so I thought to get it a go. Thanks.

Thats easy, Mojo. But if you can try them all with IE800 why not.

May 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,915 of 7,998
I wanted to avoid answering this but I have too XD.

I want edgy sound, I want treble to bite and spark and be glossy and want bass to be very very tight and dislike smooth signatures and dislike warm and natural signatures... I also dislike intimate soundstage, I need soundstage to be as extensive as it's humanly possible...

Mojo seems like it would be perfect for almost anyone, but exactly not me
beyersmile.png

I just need my sound to be tight, mids to be sweet and colored, bass to be very very strong but very precise and tight and treble to spark and glare... And soundstage to be as large as possible, separation between instruments as good as possible and transients to be crazy precise and sound dynamic, dynamic range to be as dynamic as possible.

The least thing I wanted is to have is a smooth signature like that everyone describes mojo has.

(at least right now, in this exact moment in time, and with the music i'm enjoying right now
biggrin.gif
)
(It seems that many people get ie800 without wanting it;s signature or because their source combines well to create a neutralish signature, where I love ie800 to bits, and want even more of this crazy signature, not to make it flat)

This is the thing with chord dacs, its razor sharp precision and clear in the treble but smooth at the same time, i have no idea how you can have both contradictions at the same time with mojo but its true. Its a crazy level of refinement.

Transients are unmatched, bass is wonderfully tight, fast and controlled (some people think its overly tight) i love it. Depth, layering and separation is excellent. Imo its better than AK380 and now understand why people use it as a transport for mojo.

I never really thought metal could sound good with hifi gear until i tried chord and completely changed my mind. Theres this magical effortlessness to the sounf other sources just dont have.

I look forward to getting Hugo2 i think it will be a phenomenal pairing with IE800.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back