Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,976 of 7,998
Hi Mellisa

The tips and barrel width/length on the ie800s is so propitiatory and fundamental in the overall design, similar to full size phones, to achieve the acquired sound how much is changed with the "customs"?

I believe Mellisa is the Snugs girl, anway he did say this a few posts up...

I have a set of customs tips for the ie800 (snug) and you can clearly hear how they affect the sound, less soundstage but with more definition, it would be very interesting to compare these to the ones from Soundmolds.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #6,978 of 7,998
Cool! i didnt know the pro was an option, is this still the same price as the regular half shell?

I think so, I got them as a replacement. I contacted Mellisa complaining about the first set of custom tips, they didn't fit me well as you remember.

She suggested to switch to the pro version (since i had one made for the KSE1500 and it fit perfectly) and now I'm a very happy customer!

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #6,979 of 7,998
I think so, I got them as a replacement. I contacted Mellisa complaining about the first set of custom tips, they didn't fit me well as you remember.

She suggested to switch to the pro version (since i had one made for the KSE1500 and it fit perfectly) and now I'm a very happy customer!

Super cool! I love happy stories with happy endings!

BTW, since the shape looks fairly odd to me as I never owned customs before, I wanted to ask you, compared to silicone tips, the customs are hard all around no? You are able to wear them for longer periods of time than the silicone tips?

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #6,981 of 7,998

BTW, since the shape looks fairly odd to me as I never owned customs before, I wanted to ask you, compared to silicone tips, the customs are hard all around no? You are able to wear them for longer periods of time than the silicone tips?
Absolutely no, if properly made the custom tips are incredibly comfortable, they adapt perfectly to your ear canal, these are made with silicon so they are not hard at all.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #6,982 of 7,998

Custom tips are way more comfortable, they have the ability to make the iem disappear when the silicon molds have warmed up to match your body temperature. The sounds change isn't really that noticeable at all. I think it's because even with the customs the ie800 still sits shallow on the outer part of your ear like Sennheiser wanted. Basically your ear canal is just made of silicone now but you get increased detail from the better isolation. You could always make a small EQ if you feel the sound has changed too much.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #6,983 of 7,998
Custom tips are way more comfortable, they have the ability to make the iem disappear when the silicon molds have warmed up to match your body temperature. The sounds change isn't really that noticeable at all. I think it's because even with the customs the ie800 still sits shallow on the outer part of your ear like Sennheiser wanted. Basically your ear canal is just made of silicone now but you get increased detail from the better isolation. You could always make a small EQ if you feel the sound has changed too much.

Personally I feel the customs tips reduce the sound stage.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6,984 of 7,998

Personally I feel the customs tips reduce the sound stage.

Thank you for your explanations... Seems that I had it wrong, until now I imagined that customs are made out of hard plastic..... If they are silicone, it makes sense that they would somehow disappear while worn

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #6,985 of 7,998
Thank you for your explanations... Seems that I had it wrong, until now I imagined that customs are made out of hard plastic..... If they are silicone, it makes sense that they would somehow disappear while worn

It really doesn't matter which material are you using.
The ear impression is what matter, the tips can be made in any materials.

Most of TOTL ciem are made in acrylic, Fitear is producing a ciem in titanium, all these earphones are made to fit perfectly your ear canals and therefore they are all very comfortable and allow you to wear them for hours.

I use ciem when I flight, they dramatically reduce the external noise vent better than any noise cancelling headphone, with of course a much better sound quality.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,986 of 7,998
It really doesn't matter which material are you using.
The ear impression is what matter, the tips can be made in any materials.

Most of TOTL ciem are made in acrylic, Fitear is producing a ciem in titanium, all these earphones are made to fit perfectly your ear canals and therefore they are all very comfortable and allow you to wear them for hours.

I use ciem when I flight, they dramatically reduce the external noise vent better than any noise cancelling headphone, with of course a much better sound quality.

I honestly never had a CIEM, all sounds quite alien to me, sorry for asking things that might be weird...

It would be really interesting to try one - it really sounds like a true game changer when it comes to how something fits in your ears.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #6,987 of 7,998
I honestly never had a CIEM, all sounds quite alien to me, sorry for asking things that might be weird...

It would be really interesting to try one - it really sounds like a true game changer when it comes to how something fits in your ears.

Normal silicone tips irritate my ear canals after about an hours use, i have to keep pulling out X iems to scratch inside my canals that get quite itchy. Custom molds or tips for your favorite iems is a must. Another benifit is they dont slip out from getting oily, With standard tips im always adjusting fit but the snugs go in once and dont need to come out until the end of the listening session. :thumbsup:

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #6,988 of 7,998
Normal silicone tips irritate my ear canals after about an hours use, i have to keep pulling out X iems to scratch inside my canals that get quite itchy. Custom molds or tips for your favorite iems is a must. Another benifit is they dont slip out from getting oily, With standard tips im always adjusting fit but the snugs go in once and dont need to come out until the end of the listening session. :thumbsup:

I also have this thing during the Romanian Summer.....

Thank you for letting me know! I will explore customs and their possibilities!

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #6,989 of 7,998
Yes its a must if you are keeping the earphones for a long time, obviously a waste of money if you upgrade often.

Really looking forward to getting Hugo2 to pair with IE800, i think it will be end game portable. Audeze iSines look pretty nice and i can believe the high praise they get but i love most iems because they are generally pretty small.
I love to listen to music lying on my side in bed, thats definitley not going to happen with iSine 20s so for now i will keep IE800 as my TOTL portable earphone, thats until Senn brings us a IE900.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,990 of 7,998
Yes its a must if you are keeping the earphones for a long time, obviously a waste of money if you upgrade often.

Really looking forward to getting Hugo2 to pair with IE800, i think it will be end game portable. Audeze iSines look pretty nice and i can believe the high praise they get but i love most iems because they are generally pretty small.
I love to listen to music lying on my side in bed, thats definitley not going to happen with iSine 20s so for now i will keep IE800 as my TOTL portable earphone, thats until Senn brings us a IE900.

I will actually receive some more expensive IEMs soon and will compare them with ie800. iSine seems to have a very different signature that might not appeal to us ie800 lovers......

Also, I found my end-game portable DAC/AMP in iDSD Black Label - this wicked witchery box does much more than I expected a DAC/AMP to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back