Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #7,009 of 7,998
RE-2000 is about 3x the price of ie800. There are many things RE-2000 will do different, and I have been using RE-2000 far more these past few days...

I don't care the price. Hifiman's price is ridiculous. No one takes serious. I just wonder his so-called new technology give how much improvement.
I suggest you to use Mahler or Berlioz's symphonies or Wagner's music to test them. Nothing is better than large work orchestra to test headphones.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #7,010 of 7,998
Interesting regarding the Re2000, I think it's looks are only a mother could love and the build quality is so so, george do you think the hifimans are much better than ie800s?

Also I don't think large scale orchestra is the only music for testing headphones, technical death metal can be just as hard on the driver's.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #7,011 of 7,998
Interesting regarding the Re2000, I think it's looks are only a mother could love and the build quality is so so, george do you think the hifimans are much better than ie800s?

Also I don't think large scale orchestra is the only music for testing headphones, technical death metal can be just as hard on the driver's.

Well...

The build quality is excellent if you got after the cable that comes with them, which might need changing down the line.

The looks are good actually and comfort gets good if you do tip rolling.

. . . I also test music with technical death metal or post hardcore, or music that is super brutal and has lots of instruments.

I don't care the price. Hifiman's price is ridiculous. No one takes serious. I just wonder his so-called new technology give how much improvement.
I suggest you to use Mahler or Berlioz's symphonies or Wagner's music to test them. Nothing is better than large work orchestra to test headphones.

About using orchestral, I have a personal rule of only using music that I know so I can properly assess how it sounds.

This being said, RE-2000 sounds awesome. I mean, more than awesome. They are not the exact kind of signature like ie800, but they are,.... even more detailed in the mids, even more detailed in the treble and in the bass. The textures are even better and they honestly make other TOTL IEMs feel like they have less resolution, RE-2000 is something that one has to hear to believe.

This being said, they are 3 times the price of ie800, but if you're going for the top, there's nowhere you can go higher, their resolution is easily as good as HD800S or LCD-4..

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #7,012 of 7,998
Well...

The build quality is excellent if you got after the cable that comes with them, which might need changing down the line.

The looks are good actually and comfort gets good if you do tip rolling.

. . . I also test music with technical death metal or post hardcore, or music that is super brutal and has lots of instruments.

About using orchestral, I have a personal rule of only using music that I know so I can properly assess how it sounds.

This being said, RE-2000 sounds awesome. I mean, more than awesome. They are not the exact kind of signature like ie800, but they are,.... even more detailed in the mids, even more detailed in the treble and in the bass. The textures are even better and they honestly make other TOTL IEMs feel like they have less resolution, RE-2000 is something that one has to hear to believe.

This being said, they are 3 times the price of ie800, but if you're going for the top, there's nowhere you can go higher, their resolution is easily as good as HD800S or LCD-4..

Great to know you got new pet:beyersmile:

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #7,016 of 7,998
At the moment, they should be investing in their RD process, even if they are slightly expensive, as long as they keep inventing stuff that is awesome, we are advancing!

This is not Large Hadron Collider. There is no need of much money to do such kind of research. A main part of research is done on computer simulation, which only cost maybe a couple persons' salary

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #7,017 of 7,998
But our pay checks are not advancing....

That might be a problem in the long run... I bought ie800 lightly used 3 years ago from a very friendly head-fi'er and I honestly had to restrict my food budget for at least 5 months back then...

This is not Large Hadron Collider. There is no need of much money to do such kind of research. A main part of research is done on computer simulation, which only cost maybe a couple persons' salary

I've been communicating with some of the companies making IEMs and headphones. The truth is slightly more complicated. The competition is pretty fiery and they actually do tests by building literally tens of prototypes, computer simulation don't always result in the sound changes they expect. Some of the samples produced during development look pretty crude and they experiment a LOT with different technologies and approaches to create the sound and design they want. It is a costly process, both in time and money. Until a company manages to create a single IEM, they can take even years of research and go through as many as a hundred prototypes.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #7,018 of 7,998
That might be a problem in the long run... I bought ie800 lightly used 3 years ago from a very friendly head-fi'er and I honestly had to restrict my food budget for at least 5 months back then...

I've been communicating with some of the companies making IEMs and headphones. The truth is slightly more complicated. The competition is pretty fiery and they actually do tests by building literally tens of prototypes, computer simulation don't always result in the sound changes they expect. Some of the samples produced during development look pretty crude and they experiment a LOT with different technologies and approaches to create the sound and design they want. It is a costly process, both in time and money. Until a company manages to create a single IEM, they can take even years of research and go through as many as a hundred prototypes.

Thanks for clarification!

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #7,020 of 7,998
i have a barely used pair of ie800 round medium tips for sale

this will suits only people maybe in europe as asking price is 25 usd plus shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back