Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #7,037 of 7,998
Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy these babies probably in September. I'm going to use them with my Sony NWZ-F886. My question is: this DAP could be enough to drive the IE 800-s? (I can't afford a high-end DAP this year.)

The IE 800 are only 16 ohms. Anything can drive them.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #7,039 of 7,998
Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy these babies probably in September. I'm going to use them with my Sony NWZ-F886. My question is: this DAP could be enough to drive the IE 800-s? (I can't afford a high-end DAP this year.)

Yes. It is one of the better DAPs , your experience should be awesome.

If you can get an even better DAP, you should be even better, but even so, your experience should be quite nice.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #7,041 of 7,998
Regarding amping iems, the biggest difference if noticed is that helps the transients to be better, example; Pinnacle P1 sounded bit muddy and congested without an amp even though the volume was good from a smartphone.

Poor transient response is bad for metal and I dont like the smearing of layers or the lack of a sharp and defined leading edges.

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7,042 of 7,998
Regarding amping iems, the biggest difference if noticed is that helps the transients to be better, example; Pinnacle P1 sounded bit muddy and congested without an amp even though the volume was good from a smartphone.

Poor transient response is bad for metal and I dont like the smearing of layers or the lack of a sharp and defined leading edges.

That is entirely correct, but some DAPs are already quite good.

Of course, I will listen with iDSD BL at any time I able to, but having something lighter for lighter moments can be handy as well.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #7,043 of 7,998
I just listen straight out of iPhone 7, sounds great!

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #7,045 of 7,998
Sometimes I really wish metal sounded great from a phone, it would be much more convenient carrying one device.

I really wish for this as well... I had to spend a night away from home and couldn't really satisfy myself with my smartphone, good thing that I had a trusty Opus #3 to compliment ie800 with :darthsmile:

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #7,046 of 7,998
I really wish for this as well... I had to spend a night away from home and couldn't really satisfy myself with my smartphone, good thing that I had a trusty Opus #3 to compliment ie800 with :darthsmile:

Hi! I have a OnePlus 3T and I'm very happy with this device under the audio quality, nothing to complain with.
I think that it will drive IE800 in a good way!
I returned 2 XDuoo X3 because the overall quality is almost the same if compared to the OnePlus 3T (of course this is still true when you plug in a low impedence iem).

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #7,047 of 7,998
It really does depend on the person and preferences, what was a small difference to you and not worth keeping an extra device for could be very worth it to me.

I love metal music, I mention it a lot here and I have pretty high standards how the audio quality should sound as metal is generally not well mastered anyway so instead of choosing anything just for convenience and usually making it sound even worse, I spent a lot of time figuring out what was best for me.

Transients, the small difference a DAC may bring having a sharper leading edge helps clear up congested masters a little is a big quality change for me. Where as someone who listens to jazz that is well recorded, slowly played and fewer instruments might not even notice or care for improved transients.

Treble, this is another thing mojo does very well for me. Again poorly mastered metal can sound a bit hard on the ears in the treble department due to compression or crappy mixing and Mojo adds a subtle smoothness without loosing detail or clarity so I can listen for longer.

I refuse to listen to genres of music I do not like just because is it's extremely well recorded and mastered.

Anyway, just my views on the subject.

Enjoy the music :smile_phones:

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #7,048 of 7,998
Since I listen to orchestral music, is the IE800 worth still in the second half of 2017? Or is there something better?
I use glasses and I don't tolerate the over-ear iems (for example Shure, Pinnacle M1, etc etc). I prefer a classical iem like the IE800 from the design point of view.
Thanks,

kalo86

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,049 of 7,998
Since I listen to orchestral music, is the IE800 worth still in the second half of 2017? Or is there something better?
I use glasses and I don't tolerate the over-ear iems (for example Shure, Pinnacle M1, etc etc). I prefer a classical iem like the IE800 from the design point of view.
Thanks,

kalo86

Hard to say, the best thing you can do if possible is to try before you buy.

IE800 have never really got the fame they deserve due to many people having problems a few of the strict design reasons.

I don't agree when people say it's not worth the money and they're are tons of iems way cheaper that do it way better.

IE800 has some of the best detail retrieval, clarity, fluidity, and bass texture of many iems and still sits up there with the best even if it's way cheaper than the recent multi thousand dollar iems.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #7,050 of 7,998
The main question is this one: where can I try them before buying? I live in Italy and I still don't know a store where it's possible to try them before buying.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back