Sennheiser IE80 VS Sony XBA-4 VS Sony MDR-EX1000
Apr 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 38
When I heard the ex1000, I felt it was quite a boring IEM, but it was flat and natural.
XBA4 was really artificial and metallic sounding in the highs (also harsh), but the bass was deep and soft, which was quite nice. Detail wise both was great, but I felt that each driver in the XBA4 was doing its own thing...

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 38
Hi all. I am also struggling in between XBA-4 and EX1000 (don't know which one to buy). However, I can't find any stores that have them for people to audit, so I never have a chance to try them out myself. For genres, I only listen to symphonic, power, progressive, and neo-classical metal. Not sure which one is more suitable for my taste. Could any of you who own both XBA-4 and EX1000 answer my question? Many Thanks!!! :D

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 38
If you look for more genuine and non-fatiguing (good for 24/7 listening) sound, go with the IE80. IE80's are more fussy about tips to achieve optimal sound balance.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 38
I didn't hear any of the bass response that the XBA-4 supposedly achieves with it's dual woofers. It didn't furnish much ability to block surrounding sound. This was both in the noisy store while A/B'ing it against a pair of Shure's and during the one day that I bought and owned the XBA-4 in order to test it in more sedate surroundings.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 38
Hi Immortal,

I've heard the EX1000 quite a few times, and I own the XBA-4. You mention in your first post that you'd like thumping bass. The EX1000 are very capable, natural sounding IEM's but I can tell you they are not really at all about 'thumping bass'. If you listen to a lot of modern recordings, particularly pop music, the overall balance of the EX1000 may be a bit tiring to listen to after a while because the sound is a tad lean. You may want to consider the EX800ST / MDR7550. While I only heard this model once, it is a bit more neutral than the EX1000 but has a similar character. I do not know if you are using this for portable use, but the EX1000's design does not particularly lend itself well to portable use because of its lack of isolation and potential wind noise.

Related to the earlier question, I would choose the EX1000 over the SE535 if the keyword was natural. The SE535 has a very mellow sound but the BA sounded a little off/tacky to me compared to the dynamic driver in the EX1000. The sub-bass response of the SE535 was also relatively poor.

The XBA-4 is absolutely a fun and engaging listen, though it has not attracted a great reputation in the forums in its relatively short life so far. I can tell you that the bass is very solid and articulate, and soundstaging is startlingly pin-point accurate in terms of placing. The one issue is that the highs have an almost metallic, shimmery timbre to them. They aren't tremendously sibilant to my ears, but they don't sound entirely natural. You can tone down the treble by using the included foam hybrid tips, though I prefer the sound of the normal silicones. I find isolation to be great. I like the XBA-4 overall, especially for modern pop recordings. It's gotten an oddly bad rap here on Head Fi but the Amazon Japan price /group buy puts it at a very interesting pricepoint.

Another darkhorse option I can recommend which hasn't been mentioned before, but based on your desire for thumping bass: The Atrio M5 with MG7 drivers. It's much cheaper than the other options being discussed here, but it is a surprisingly capable IEM with the most startling sub-bass response I have ever heard in any piece of portable audio gear. They are also quite isolating.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #23 of 38
I normally don't mind sibilance in my music, but when I tried the XBA4 with the Sony A844, which already has extremely colored and boosted mid-highs, the result was death. Couldn't stand it at all...

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 38
I have XB4, EX1000 and Shure 500 (almost same sound as SE535) right now doing a shoot out. I use LCD-3 for reference (sanity check and since I like it best). I actually prefer XB 4 for my most type of music. I also like the silicon tip than the hybrid. No diff in isolation capability. EX1000 sound too clean for me, bass is ok high is ok mid ok.. nothing stands out and boy, the sound stage is very wide but its a boring phone. I have had the shure 500 for 4-5 years already and have never really like them (I use for traveling in plane only or shut kids noise out at home) I find shure too warmth, mellow and high is roll off.. I keep it because the mid is really good... always feels there is a cotton stuck inside that make it sound too warmth.

I prefer XB 4 as it easy to take in and out, just like normal ear buds and no need to hang over ear kind of thing here. Isolation is also as good as shure and sound is fantastic. No high roll off (not harsh either.. not an easy feat here), bass is deepest of the 3.. it could be over powering sometimes but boy I love it (u must love bass to begin with) .. its even more than LCD-3. Well LCd-3 has better quality but XB4 is really good here. Its like sound like a subwoofer turn on (A quality sub woofer).. Its deep and soft bass makes one feels 3-D surround and its really very addicting sound & fun phone... keep going back and forth with LCD-3 (sanity check).

Warning.. XB4 is a very colored phone.. if you have sony discman, I would say its like mega bass level 2 turn on all the time... or have some kind of DSP on all the time but its really a high quality one. Its  fun but not accurate... but I just love the way its being colored. Audiophile Purist need not apply here.

Edit: 6-7 hrs later.. I have decided to get rid of the XB-4. Sound too colored for my taste, the fun factor fade. The bass is just too damn powerful for some songs.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #25 of 38
Luke someone has mentioned the Atrio. Well even cheaper again is the Hippo VB with perhaps the best thump and sub-bass response and IEM. It is by a clear margin the best I have ever heard anyway.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #26 of 38
I wonder why I can't see W4R on the list. It's clearly improvement over the original W4 in term of sound. W4R has more thumping bass and musicality while still has sweet midrange and smooth treble ala W4.

XBA4 is a good choice too I think, it has balance sound with good soundstage image (clearly better than the rest XBA) in this aspect, just sometimes the upper mid/ lower treble can a bit sharp in some recording with loud volume. For mainstream recording and only using it "on-the-go" I think I prefer XBA3 though.

EX1000 is very great iem if we judge it only by sound quality (I'll rank it above XBA4), but usually if I use iem, I need good isolation, and that's what EX1000 fall to achieve.

IE80, personally I like it, but I don't fell any speciality in technicalities compare to other competitors. It's fun sounding with hard hitting bass. Just somehow, sometimes female voice can become too thin, but still smooth and not producing sibilance.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 38
there are no SQ differences between W4 and W4R..

the thread is only about ex1000, IE80 and xba-4..

xba-4 for isolation and portability.. if you want more choices just look at my sig = )

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #28 of 38
That's weird, because I and many people here clearly can hear the difference between W4 and W4R easily.

TS also ask for other good sounding IEM, so it's not only about IE80, XBA4 and EX1000 I guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back