Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #7,801 of 8,119
Quote:
I got tired of the midbass hump and found that it made the mid's fairly recessed at times, or the mids are just tuned that way. The graphs say it all to be honest. As recessed as people say the vocals are on the TF10's I found them less recessed than the IE8's by a pretty large margin. I loved the IE8's though, I wouldn't shy away if you can live with vocals being recessed at times. The soundstage was staggering though, very impressive for an IEM, I miss that about them a lot. I have kind of been more onto cans lately though, now that I'm not going to and from school right now and working a job where IEM's aren't an option. I do most of my listening at home. I'm listening to my JVC FXT90's (love these things) right now though. IEM's always have a place in my heart and I still really want customs. Enough of that though. Anyways... like above, equalizing them really balances them out, but I'm a purist so I don't like EQing... I like to hear things the way they came. I will EQ in a vehicle when setting up a system but that's entirely different in my opinion. If you have no problem EQing then pick up the IE8's, or just listen as is. The goods outweigh the bads by miles. Wish I still had them, like I said, sold them to my father, on top of that though they got stolen when he was in Quebec so I can't audition them anymore :frowning2:

A few months ago I believe I mentioned here that I found the 5.5g ipod video rockboxed, as one of the best source for bass heavy gear, such as the W3 and IE8. Chances are you find one on ebay in perfect condition under $100, well worth the investment. Just set the gain +2 for the bass and +4 for treble and you good to go, leave everything else at default settings. That will be the end of the mid bass hump for your IE8s. In fact, you will be tempted to open up the bass port on the ear pieces. The player would be a lot cheaper than some of the popular cable upgrades for the monitors. I would also want to mention that the IE8 or W3 has the best synergy from the player mentioned, for the TF10 I would not recommend it. The big blue plugs perform their best when you LOD an iBasso D2 or even the tiny T4 to your iphone.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #7,807 of 8,119
Quote:
Take a look at these, IE80s for ~$267
http://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-504771-IE-80-In-Ear-Kopfhörer/dp/B005N8W27I

Wow! Thanks for showing this! :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #7,808 of 8,119
Quote:
A few months ago I believe I mentioned here that I found the 5.5g ipod video rockboxed, as one of the best source for bass heavy gear, such as the W3 and IE8. Chances are you find one on ebay in perfect condition under $100, well worth the investment. Just set the gain +2 for the bass and +4 for treble and you good to go, leave everything else at default settings. That will be the end of the mid bass hump for your IE8s. In fact, you will be tempted to open up the bass port on the ear pieces. The player would be a lot cheaper than some of the popular cable upgrades for the monitors. I would also want to mention that the IE8 or W3 has the best synergy from the player mentioned, for the TF10 I would not recommend it. The big blue plugs perform their best when you LOD an iBasso D2 or even the tiny T4 to your iphone.

I actually don't own the IE8's anymore. I purchased a 30GB iPod video recently for $15 locally, had a battery that wouldn't hold a charge and a broken off inductor. I also had a broken one someone gave me a while ago (sold the hard drive from that ages ago), I slapped them together and had a working iPod video again. I mostly used it in my truck through USB, now I have a new car and no funds to do a high end system and I can't just stick the deck from my truck in because of the 2ohm speakers Bose uses in the 03 Maxima, I want to build a proper system with amps anyways and some Focal gear. It see's very little use now unfortunately. I put everything I own through my little Fiio E11 anyways. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #7,809 of 8,119
I got these IE8s as a present for Christmas, my uncle won't tell me how much he got it, but he did say it's from Amazon, so I'm safe from fakes, more or less. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, burn in just finished and I must say, coming from the Beats Tour and the Monster Turbine (I'm sorry, I was young..), these sound awesome! 
basshead.gif

Great for all-around listening, I use it with the bass knob to the minimum. My first experience with soundstage too, and it's excellent.
One time I got crazy, I set the bass knob to the max, cranked up the bass boost, and plugged it to my E3. I should not do that again. That amount of bass is just mind-cracking. 
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #7,810 of 8,119
save your money guys and buy something else

this may be the epitome of overrated IEM.....

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #7,812 of 8,119
Quote:

Well if the RE272 are anything like the RE262 then I'd say that is also an extremely overrated IEM. Treble was harsh and unrefined. Bass near to non-existent. Mids were nice but were not better than my modded IE80s with silver cable. As a matter of fact not even close.... It was one of my most disappointing purchases based on reviews here on headfi next to the EX1000.... I'm glad that Hifiman has a good return policy though so I got most of my money back besides shipping :).

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,814 of 8,119
Quote:

If you dont like the sound of them thats one thing. If you have actually listened to them you would realize that they have an amazing soundstage and great bass.  You obviously dont like the sound but dont come to the appreciation and discussion thread to bash it.  come on...

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #7,815 of 8,119
If you dont like the sound of them thats one thing. If you have actually listened to them you would realize that they have an amazing soundstage and great bass.  You obviously dont like the sound but dont come to the appreciation and discussion thread to bash it.  come on...

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion. :) I wonder how on earth Sennheiser managed to put such a flawed 'phone into production as their flagship IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back