Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #7,711 of 8,119
I've had my IE8s since Feb 2009 and just today the right earphone's sound is... going in and out unless I wiggle it/the cable around. I'm pretty sure it's due to normal wear and tear and that the internal wires are frayed, but I've no idea how to fix them. Has anyone had this problem with the IE8s?

And sorry if this is the wrong place for this question -- I LOVE my IE8s overall. Which is why I'm so sad this is happening!

May 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #7,712 of 8,119
Quote:
I've had my IE8s since Feb 2009 and just today the right earphone's sound is... going in and out unless I wiggle it/the cable around. I'm pretty sure it's due to normal wear and tear and that the internal wires are frayed, but I've no idea how to fix them. Has anyone had this problem with the IE8s?

And sorry if this is the wrong place for this question -- I LOVE my IE8s overall. Which is why I'm so sad this is happening!

I think you should buy a replacement cable, that's the cheapest way to solve the problem.. FIrst you should switch the L-R to check if the problem is not coming from the earbud itself..

May 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #7,713 of 8,119
Quote:
I think you should buy a replacement cable, that's the cheapest way to solve the problem.. FIrst you should switch the L-R to check if the problem is not coming from the earbud itself..

Ah! You're totally right. I switched the L-R, and now the L has the problem. Thanks so much. Is there a specific place you recommend for cables, or should I go to Sennheiser? Thanks again.

May 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #7,715 of 8,119
Quote:

You can also try very CAREFULLY to bend the prongs a tad to ensure that they CONNECT when inserted into the nozzle. It seems to me that the diameter of the nozzle widens over time, and affects the connection...

May 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #7,716 of 8,119
Quote:
You can also try very CAREFULLY to bend the prongs a tad to ensure that they CONNECT when inserted into the nozzle. It seems to me that the diameter of the nozzle widens over time, and affects the connection...

Hmm, interesting tip, thanks very much!

I tried to bend the prongs, but I'm not sure if the diameter looks off to me. I have no idea what is actually wrong with my cable. I received a replacement (non-stock) cable today, but... the audio quality isn't what I expected. I don't know if it's my ears, though my boyfriend also tried my IE8s and he agreed that the sound is significantly muddier and cheap. Wondering if I should just go back to Sennheiser. 
confused.gif

May 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #7,717 of 8,119
My stock cable has also failed after 3yrs+ use.

So I'm also looking for a replacement which ones did you buy, have they arrived and what are you impressions ?

These appear to be the option:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6N-OFHC-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-upgrade-cable-/150808533974?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item231ce39bd6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athena-8-cores-upgrade-cable-for-IE8-Sennheiser-IE8-/251007347730?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3a71342c12

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5N-OCC-Single-Crystal-Upgrade-Cable-for-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-AWG26-/320906457482?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ab783f18a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-UE-Ultimate-Ears-Galaxy-/110572888631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bea86237

I've read some post in this thread but are the silver ones really worth the extra money ?

Just to add, both headphones have previously broken where the pressure of my custom ACS moulds have obviously put pressure on the canal part of the headphone which comes off but is easily pushed back in and repaired with some glue (the first time it happened I feared the worst !).

Thanks.

May 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #7,719 of 8,119
PJD007,

I have the Silver 'Universe' Cable from Zeroshoe_12000 (aka Song's):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-for-UE-Ultimate-Ears-Universe-/110609904849?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19c0dd34d1

Normally it's for UE/Ultimate Ears but he made me a set with IE-8/80 connectors. It sounds very clear, crisp and dynamic. I think it's a great improvement over the stock cable.

'lee730' has the Silver 'Galaxy' Cable from Zeroshoe. Maybe he will chime in with his observation(s) although I can assure you that he also found it to be great improvement over the stock cable on both IE-8's and 80's.

May 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #7,720 of 8,119
@burtomr

Thanks for your feedback.

What does the N stand for when it says 5N in the description ?

I noticed there are some that have 3, 4, 5 or 6 N so I just wanted to know what it means before ordering.

May 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7,721 of 8,119
The N's refer to the purity of the metal used in the wire. Example: 99.99% pure would be referred to as 4N's, 99.999% = 5N's, etc.

Presumably the more pure the wire the better the sound.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #7,722 of 8,119
Just to report back I went with these ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120916313726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I can't really comment on the soud qualtiy because my stock cable broke so I've not used my IE8's for around a month and I've nothing to compare the new cable with.

In terms of build qualtiy, comparing the cable to the stock one, this one is more rigid which I think\hope will mean that it's likely to last a long time.

I had my cable made with a right angled jack and I'm happy with it.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #7,723 of 8,119
To add my tiny two cents, the IE8s have been robust and hard wearing as a daily pair.

In a nutshell, I like them over their competitors for their soundstage and natural timbre. I am a speaker person (heaven-forbid on this forum!) and use the IE8s only when out and about or when I just need headphones. They are the closest IEMs I have tried to speakers, and I personally prefer them over the Shure 535s, UEs, Westone's etc... I purchased them over circumaurals including Grados and Beyer 880s/990s.

I believe that decent sound-staging with slightly compromised clarity is more realistic than the other way around. For instance, you can't always get the closest seats to the stage in a concert hall, but regardless of where you are seated, the stage is more or less the same width. It might be a bit more muffled, but your perception is heavily based on the position of the musicians.

However, the IE8s are not the last word in clarity, though still clearer than most.

Any suggestions for a good upgrade? :D

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7,724 of 8,119
robertdazari,

I agree with your very perceptive comments regarding the sound of IE-8's, and if I may add IE-80's. I would suggest that a great mod to either of them is to replace the stock cable with a solid silver wired one. It makes a GREAT improvement in clarity, snap, slam, etc. It seems to remove several layers of veil from the sound. As much as you like 'em now you will love the improvement Silver cable provides.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #7,725 of 8,119
Heyo Burtomr,

Appreciate the compliment, but nah, nothing 'perceptive' at all!

Hmmmm, I do recall trying out silver cables shortly after I bought them at least a year and a half ago. I do agree with the increased soundstage and everything, but that  was to be had for close to $200!

Didn't want to increase my liability (if i lost/damaged them) hence skipped them. I upgraded my Audio-Gd DI USB to SPDIF converter two weeks back to the new DSP version for around $150 and it was a marked increase in sound. Not in any way putting your suggestion down, but with my pocket a bit tight, it does take a lot more effort to pull that trigger.

Anyhow, am currently selling my DI and NFB 5 as I'm relocating to a new country in a fortnight, if anyone's interested...

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back