Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #7,742 of 8,119
Quote:
After IE80 was released.

Same guy before the IE80, describing the IE8 in this very thread. Someone steal your password?

Yes you have the ability to EQ your IEMs or headphones to your preference but that will also vary from genre to genre and to be honest I rather not be stressing out over constantly EQ an IEM. Having one where its not a requirement is much more to my liking. The IE80 made that possible. But that doesn't mean I don't look forward to improving the sound further. I modded mine and am liking them more than ever. 99.9 percent of the time I don't use EQ. Just recently I started messing with some EQ again and it pretty nice. Still prefer EQ off though on my DX100.

Plus comparing the IE80 to the IE8 with EQ there is a difference still to these ears. I was just EQing down the bass and mid bass on the IE8 but what you are left with is a more distant sound, the mid-range isn't as intimate and the sound stage is slightly larger (most likely contributing to the disconnected feel). I could boost the mids on the IE8 but it still would not be exactly the same. Obviously they did some tuning to the newer IE80 as well. What the IE80 managed to do is improve upon the IE8s flaws that were turning me off from it (mainly mid bass hump). Nothing wrong with improving upon ones sound signature preferences.
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #7,743 of 8,119
Yes you have the ability to EQ your IEMs or headphones to your preference but that will also very from genre to genre and to be honest I rather not be stressing out over constantly EQ an IEM.

There's no stress Lee, you simply set the EQ up and press play. :smile: You're exasperating yourself over thinking. :p At most I have two presets, one for energy and another balanced, switching between depending on mood, these does not need changing every genre, not at all.... You can't really say that a DAP without any EQ is going to be spot on perfect with every genre or IEM pairing because I can't see how that would work. There's going to be differences, EQing's all about finding that sweet spot not moulding the IEM into another shape, very fine adjustments, for example me? I like to tweak the treble a touch regardless of IEM response.

I think in the perfect world obviously pairing without EQ is the preferred audiophile way, though lets face it, that can become very expensive changing an IEM just because you're missing that tiny little bit of bass or mids. Then you have the problem once changing that IEM of altering the entire signature. So the simple answer is to EQ these areas's. Once you have a player that deals with EQ respectively the changes cost you nothing and in most cases very rewarding.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7,744 of 8,119
Quote:
There's no stress Lee, you simply set the EQ up and press play.
smile.gif
You're exasperating yourself over thinking.
tongue.gif
At most I have two presets, one for energy and another balanced, switching between depending on mood, these does not need changing every genre, not at all.... You can't really say that a DAP without any EQing is going to be spot on perfect with every genre and IEM pairing because I can't see how that would work. There's going to be differences, EQing's all about finding that sweet spot not moulding the IEM into another shape, very fine adjustments, for example me? I like to tweak the treble a touch regardless of IEM response.
I think in the perfect world obviously pairing without EQ is the preferred audiophile way, though lets face it, that can become very expensive changing an IEM just because you're missing that tiny little bit of bass or mids. Then you have the problem once changing that IEM of altering the entire signature. So the simple answer is to EQ these areas's. Once you have a player that deals with EQ respectively the changes cost you nothing and in most cases very rewarding.

lol not for me generally. While an EQ may work for a certain track or genre it won't necessarily do the trick for the rest and will sound off to my ears. Just another reason why I generally hate using EQ. Most of the time I don't bother and if I can get that full satisfactions and feel the sound doesn't need EQ, then I am truly enjoying my music :). Yes the EQ did help with the IE8 but I was not happy to have to be using it to fix a flaw that should have been noticed before even releasing the product, especially at the $300+ price point, it was a slap in the face to me. If the IE80 didn't fix that issue for me I would have moved on a long time ago. But the overall sound signature was what I was looking for, so I stuck it out and reaped the benefits :).

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7,745 of 8,119
lol not for me generally. While an EQ may work for a certain track or genre it won't necessarily do the trick for the rest and will sound off to my ears. Just another reason why I generally hate using EQ. Most of the time I don't bother and if I can get that full satisfactions and feel the sound doesn't need EQ, then I am truly enjoying my music :). Yes the EQ did help with the IE8 but I was not happy to have to be using it to fix a flaw that should have been noticed before even releasing the product, especially at the $300+ price point, it was a slap in the face to me. If the IE80 didn't fix that issue for me I would have moved on a long time ago. But the overall sound signature was what I was looking for, so I stuck it out and reaped the benefits :).

Haha. I can understand how rewarding it may be having a pairing spot on to ones preferences. Such would feel like a mission accomplished also very satisfying .I can see both sides of this story as yourself. Though for me it also seems quite a costly endurance, I think we've spoken previously how I wouldn't like that feeling of being locked out of an EQ.

You should check out Cowon players one day Lee. I think you'd find them very enjoyable. :wink: lol

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #7,746 of 8,119
Quote:
Haha. I can understand how rewarding it may be having a pairing spot on to ones preferences. Such would feel like a mission accomplished also very satisfying .I can see both sides of this story as yourself. Though for me it also seems quite a costly endurance, I think we've spoken previously how I wouldn't like that feeling of being locked out of an EQ.
You should check out Cowon players one day Lee. I think you'd find them very enjoyable.
wink.gif
lol

I did and wasn't impressed compared to devices on hand at the time. I had my iphone4 and an SFLO2 at that time and didn't think it was an improvement over the iphone4 (with eQU) and not even in competition with the SFLO2 (sound quality wise). Not sure if you've seen some of my nasty comments regarding the SFLO2 as I'm not the biggest fan of that unit either. So in comparison to the gear I have now I can confidently say the Cowon just doesn't compare. Different tiers. Its a good product though but had nothing that I already didn't have or have in spades :). While the Sflo2 may be a big jump over the iphone4 and Cowons, its flaws (and defects) were just too much for me to deal with and I've long since moved from that unit.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #7,747 of 8,119
Monster triple-flange tips took care of the IE8 bass bloat for me. I actually had to turn the earpiece adjusters all the way up afterward. I also turned the Galaxy S1 Voodoo bass up and EQ'd with Poweramp (one setting for all music) to get decent all-around sound from the IE8 (mid-forward even).

I never understood the “big sound-stage” thing often attributed to the IE8. I guess I must be using it immediately after taking off the AKG Q701 (a relative thing, I suppose).

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7,748 of 8,119
For an IEM is really does have a large sound stage. Of course your full size headphones should have an even larger sound stage. Take into consideration how much larger your full size cans are and try to put it all into perspective. Also your sources will play a big roll on the overall size of the sound stage.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #7,749 of 8,119
Quote:
For an IEM is really does have a large sound stage. Of course your full size headphones should have an even larger sound stage. Take into consideration how much larger your full size cans are and try to put it all into perspective. Also your sources will play a big roll on the overall size of the sound stage.

I certainly agree that the source is important. I am constantly amazed at how the source affects the sound.

I suppose for me the IE8 has less of a 3-D effect. It's more side to side and I can appreciate how some smaller detail seem  out on the edges. But I'm use to the background singers (on some songs) being out beyond my ears (with the 535) instead of within the head-space as with the IE8.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7,750 of 8,119
I did and wasn't impressed compared to devices on hand at the time. I had my iphone4 and an SFLO2 at that time and didn't think it was an improvement over the iphone4 (with eQU) and not even in competition with the SFLO2 (sound quality wise). Not sure if you've seen some of my nasty comments regarding the SFLO2 as I'm not the biggest fan of that unit either. So in comparison to the gear I have now I can confidently say the Cowon just doesn't compare. Different tiers. Its a good product though but had nothing that I already didn't have or have in spades :). While the Sflo2 may be a big jump over the iphone4 and Cowons, its flaws (and defects) were just too much for me to deal with and I've long since moved from that unit.

I already knew your thoughts on Cowons and SFLO2.
I was pulling your leg :wink:

Anyway, enjoy your IE8 guy's, sorry to drift away from the subject.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #7,751 of 8,119
Quote:
I certainly agree that the source is important. I am constantly amazed at how the source affects the sound.

I suppose for me the IE8 has less of a 3-D effect. It's more side to side and I can appreciate how some smaller detail seem  out on the edges. But I'm use to the background singers (on some songs) being out beyond my ears (with the 535) instead of within the head-space as with the IE8.

I think those tips are really making it where you aren't getting those out of head experiences. For what its worth, the IE8 gave me the most out of head experiences out of all the IEMs I've had to date. Like I'd be out and about and turn around thinking something happened behind me, to my side, up in the air, lol. Maybe try the mod listed on the IE80 thread (cover up the adjustable vents with a piece of tape) and use a pair of tips that wont constrict the sound like the triple flanges. I find the Sony Hybrid IEMs to do the same thing, even on their EX series (makes the sound stage unnaturally narrow (thin) and it lacks that 3D sound that I like. At least on the IE80 the mod really brings the mids forward (in your face), the treble also is very detailed this way and has lots of texture and presence. Mid bass is tamed big time, and emphasis is strictly on sub bass without the mid bass interfering. Sound stage took a slight hit but not much at all IMO. What you get is a much more precise sound stage, imaging is superb, and speed is spot on. Also the IE80 will respond more to what is called for in the actual track. If the sound stage is large in the track, it will be large on the IE80. Same with bass. If there is a lot of it, there will be a lot.
Quote:
I already knew your thoughts on Cowons and SFLO2.
I was pulling your leg
wink.gif
Anyway, enjoy your IE8 guy's, sorry to drift away from the subject.

How dare you! :wink: lol. Just wait til you try out the Rocoo BA. Gonna open up your eyes :p.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #7,752 of 8,119
Quote:

I think those tips are really making it where you aren't getting those out of head experiences. For what its worth, the IE8 gave me the most out of head experiences out of all the IEMs I've had to date. Like I'd be out and about and turn around thinking something happened behind me, to my side, up in the air, lol. Maybe try the mod listed on the IE80 thread (cover up the adjustable vents with a piece of tape) and use a pair of tips that wont constrict the sound like the triple flanges. I find the Sony Hybrid IEMs to do the same thing, even on their EX series (makes the sound stage unnaturally narrow (thin) and it lacks that 3D sound that I like. At least on the IE80 the mod really brings the mids forward (in your face), the treble also is very detailed this way and has lots of texture and presence. Mid bass is tamed big time, and emphasis is strictly on sub bass without the mid bass interfering. Sound stage took a slight hit but not much at all IMO. What you get is a much more precise sound stage, imaging is superb, and speed is spot on. Also the IE80 will respond more to what is called for in the actual track. If the sound stage is large in the track, it will be large on the IE80. Same with bass. If there is a lot of it, there will be a lot.

How dare you! :wink: lol. Just wait til you try out the Rocoo BA. Gonna open up your eyes :p.

Well, I gave the (tape over the vents) thing a try and switched back to the regular tips. The bass was a little shy and the sound-stage was the same (at least for the few seconds I managed to get a painful- but good- seal). The IE8's nozzle is too short (and the housing too fat) with the standard tips to get into my (oddly small yet) deep ears. Before getting the proper seal, the sound was sibilant and veil (which was as I remembered 3 years ago). Had I listened longer (with the bad seal), I probably would have noticed the bloat again. I took the tape off and tried again with the original tips and yeah, it was just an inadequate seal. The Monster tips only served to provide a decent seal for me (apparently with no particular sound shaping).

I noticed that my newly acquired Shure SE530 (thanks to a head-fier's price alert) has noticeably less sound-stage than my 535. The 530 has a slight mid-bass bump. I used the exact same triple-flanges taken from the 535 (same player, same song, same everything). The IE8 and IE80 may be different (in regards to sound-stage) as well.

Again, I do notice the sounds that could be interpreted as distant (giving the sense of sound-stage width) but without more depth, my brain is not having it (during typical songs). There are some songs (recorded in such a way) that even my old Sony MDR-v100 (from the 90s) has me looking around.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #7,753 of 8,119
Quote:
Well, I gave the (tape over the vents) thing a try and switched back to the regular tips. The bass was a little shy and the sound-stage was the same (at least for the few seconds I managed to get a painful- but good- seal). The IE8's nozzle is too short (and the housing too fat) with the standard tips to get into my (oddly small yet) deep ears. Before getting the proper seal, the sound was sibilant and veil (which was as I remembered 3 years ago). Had I listened longer (with the bad seal), I probably would have noticed the bloat again. I took the tape off and tried again with the original tips and yeah, it was just an inadequate seal. The Monster tips only served to provide a decent seal for me (apparently with no particular sound shaping).

I noticed that my newly acquired Shure SE530 (thanks to a head-fier's price alert) has noticeably less sound-stage than my 535. The 530 has a slight mid-bass bump. I used the exact same triple-flanges taken from the 535 (same player, same song, same everything). The IE8 and IE80 may be different (in regards to sound-stage) as well.

Again, I do notice the sounds that could be interpreted as distant (giving the sense of sound-stage width) but without more depth, my brain is not having it (during typical songs). There are some songs (recorded in such a way) that even my old Sony MDR-v100 (from the 90s) has me looking around.

So it seems you have large ear canals? Did you consider trying the large single flange tips from JVC. They are dirt cheap on ebay.com. The seller sells pairs of 6 and 8 for about $5.00 including shipping. Very well worth the price. The IE80s also sit deep in my ears and only this tip and the large single flange V-moda tips give me any form of seal. Even had issues with the very large double and triple flanges. Don't offer me any sort of seal at all. I'm curious though are your IE8s genuine? Did you get them from a genuine dealer? So many fakes out there it is pathetic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-Replacement-Ear-Phone-Ear-Bud-Headphone-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Large-/230844350654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7b6aeb9786

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #7,754 of 8,119
Quote:
So it seems you have large ear canals? Did you consider trying the large single flange tips from JVC. They are dirt cheap on ebay.com. The seller sells pairs of 6 and 8 for about $5.00 including shipping. Very well worth the price. The IE80s also sit deep in my ears and only this tip and the large single flange V-moda tips give me any form of seal. Even had issues with the very large double and triple flanges. Don't offer me any sort of seal at all. I'm curious though are your IE8s genuine? Did you get them from a genuine dealer? So many fakes out there it is pathetic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-Replacement-Ear-Phone-Ear-Bud-Headphone-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Large-/230844350654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7b6aeb9786

My ears are very small (oddly small, freakishly small). The earphone housing is somewhat obstructed by my small ears. The triple-flanges provide the needed insertion length. What I discovered going back to the original tips, is that (with a forced seal), there's no sonic difference (that I can detect) between the original tips and the Monsters tips.

And yes, I checked (the real or fake thing) quite a while back. I was worried (back then) because I got such a good deal. And thankfully, mine are genuine. If they weren't I would've gotten a genuine pair.

I started out saying the IE8 has (understandably) noticeably  less sound-stage size than the “airport hanger” AKG Q701. Let me put it another way, there's a much smaller difference in sound-staging between the Q701 and the 535 (mostly height, not width). So my lack of being impressed by the IE8 sound-stage is relatively speaking.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #7,755 of 8,119
I am selling my pair to all interested parties.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633697/sennheiser-ie8-for-sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back