Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7,576 of 8,119

Quote:
does anyone know where i can buy replacement sennheiser shirt clips? i like using these cause it takes some of the weight off the cable but the one that came with mine the little plastic hook part that holds the wire snapped after 2 days or is there a metal alternative?

anyone? i could really do with some help on this. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #7,577 of 8,119

Quote:
does anyone know where i can buy replacement sennheiser shirt clips? i like using these cause it takes some of the weight off the cable but the one that came with mine the little plastic hook part that holds the wire snapped after 2 days or is there a metal alternative?

when I lost my bass tuning tool I just called Sennheiser, they were super friendly and helpful and I was able to buy a replacement for super cheap, like $2 i think. i would assume they sell the shirt clip separately too. call em and find out!

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #7,578 of 8,119
i should have said "to my ear" but I didn't think I would have to state that my bias is obviously of my own. 

If your brain interprets sound like a frequency chart, it wont sound balanced to your ear either. But a lot of floor speakers and loud speakers that are considered "balanced" on frequency chart actually are often percieved to have bass emphasis, which is often why people generally come looking for a slight if not considerate emphasis in the low end when they look for sound products.

A "balanced" sound is something you interpret entirely differently than I do. 

That's an interesting subjective argument you put forth.

For my part, I'm comparing the bass to more neutral IEMs which I own and listen to regularly. The B2 and CK10 are a bit treble happy, but their mids and bass are nice and neutral. The SE215 is considered by most to have a slightly boosted bass, and the IE8 even on the lowest bass setting show a great deal more bass.

But perhaps the GR07 is the best IEM to pick from my bunch to highlight the differences. The GR07 is a very neutral IEM with a slightly subdued treble, and is recognized as such by the vast majority of posters. And comparing the GR07 and the IE8 directly shows just how over emphasized the bass on the IE8 really is.

I think explicitly adding, ""to my ear" would have been beneficial since leaving it as an objective statement could truly mislead a newcomer to the IEM.

BTW, I also have a very well calibrated home theater with an exceptional sub, so I have an additional frame of reference on neutral bass.

BTW 2, balanced speakers are balanced. Other components can bias it though, but room harmonics are extremely relevant to how floor standing and bookshelf speakers are perceived.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #7,579 of 8,119
Quote:
Hi!

how should i equalize them in A845?

Quote:
If it will bring you more enjoyment out of them, I don't see why not.

Lol, he's asking how.
wink.gif

Anyway, the EQ on Sony DAPs is one of the dumbest I've come across, since it doesn't let you EQ down bass. So your only chance is to EQ up all other bands.

Something like this will make your IE8 sound much clearer on the A845.

(If you want your vocals more forward than that, you can up the 2.5kHz band one more notch)

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #7,581 of 8,119
I originally posted in the Fake IE8 thread, but didn't get any response, so I'll try here, with some details about fakery removed, as I'm now sure mine are original (oh the relief!).  Yet, the sound is to my ears, so bland, that I want to post here and see if anyone has any input.

They've had over 200 hours use (average 4 hours / day in the library) albeit not pushed volume-wise, and I'm still not in love.  

My only previous IEM experience was a pair of £60 Shures which play.com were knocking out for about £20 in a special deal about four years ago.  I'd still have them but they fell to bits.  Honestly, I don't love the IE8s that much more.  Admittedly I'm listening to VBR Ogg Vorbis at average 128k, which in my opinion equates to 160k VBR MP3, so the source could be lacking.

But still, they sound good enough, just not as stunning as I'd expect for £160 or whatever, the soundstage isn't as massive as I would hope for, and the bass is perhaps *too* tight (read last sentence).  My home audio is 15-year old Arcam / Monitor Audio and I have had a pair of Grado SR-60s for nearly as long - I remember having to go to some shop in Battersea to get them as nobody had heard of them at the time.  So it's possible that I'm just *used* to good sound and I'm taking them for granted.  But the IE8s have almost never excited me (flip side - they don't fatigue me either :wink: ) as much as I would hope at the price point.  They are detailed, but not *that* detailed (hmm, I am starting to wonder about the source material...), and almost bore me.  I am a realist, I don't want some sort of distorted presentation, but I am a rocky guy, and some sort of punch would be nice.

So I guess these IEMs just aren't for me, although I should probably try them at home with a CD before I pass final judgement.  I haven't tweaked the bass knobs from minimum either, I wasn't going to as I like bass to be tight, but given that I listen to rock from 70s-current, maybe I should try a tweak.  I didn't originally as I thought it was some sort of artificial bass boost, but if it's a port, that's a different kettle of fish.  (Update: moved it to setting 2, no worse, not enough to change my opinion.)

I've been using the medium silicone adaptors with the double flange, they seemed most comfortable but I'm not convinced that the seal is all that great.  I don't have the time to mess about too much, but having moaned a lot, any comments on how I could go about trying to improve the sound appreciated, it does annoy me that everyone thinks these IEMS are the mutts nutts and I'm like, meh.  Are there people out there who like me, think these are just bland IEMs, or am I on some lunatic fringe?

If the former, maybe I'll sell these to somebody who can appreciate them, and if people want to suggest an alternative based on my blabbering above, I'll be most grateful.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #7,582 of 8,119
Further to the above, I'm glad I actually skimmed this thread.  I tweaked my EQ as follows:

Using Audacious music player on Linux, bass screws on setting 2, and it's like the IEMs suddenly breathe, they're open, there is a soundstage!  I never realized it, but the mid-bass was muffling everything else.  Can't believe they left the factory like that.  I'm generally a believer in musical purity, but when I click to enable / disable the EQ with these IEMs, it's like a blanket's been lifted off.  I'm still playing with the first and last bands (sometimes like to leave 31Hz on -1 and 16KHz on +2), but massive improvement.

I might still sell them as I'm annoyed that I have to EQ them, but first there is much listening to be done.  Thanks to all.  :D

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #7,585 of 8,119

Quote:
They are not maked for rock. For rock music you should to see on other IEMs. ( Maybe the new GR07? )

The IE8s aren't bad at rock either. But you have to EQ down the mid bass and bass somewhat and they sound great for rock. The cable I had for them really made them good at rock though as it brought the mids forward and removed the veil. But the IE8s were still to laid back for my taste wit extensive burn in.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #7,586 of 8,119

Quote:
I have to EQ all of my IEMs. I wouldn't let it bother you if you are enjoying the result.
Cheers

I hear that, it's just hard to accept that these are not cheap items and I don't understand *why* they get away with the muddy response, when if it was a cheap pair, they'd be slated for that.  I'm not even an audiophile (I like great sound, but would find it hard to describe things in the flowery wine-tasting-type way), yet to me it was obvious that they were way off out of the box.

Anyway off to the library now to continue my re-education.  :)

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #7,587 of 8,119
I hear that, it's just hard to accept that these are not cheap items and I don't understand *why* they get away with the muddy response, when if it was a cheap pair, they'd be slated for that.  I'm not even an audiophile (I like great sound, but would find it hard to describe things in the flowery wine-tasting-type way), yet to me it was obvious that they were way off out of the box.

Anyway off to the library now to continue my re-education.  :)

There's definitely not universal agreement on what the best sound signature of headphones is. Some prefer balanced while some prefer analytical. Some prefer mid centric, while others prefer bass heavy or treble light (or treble heavy or etc etc etc).

IEMs are full of tradeoffs. In the case of the IE8, it has one of the best sound stages out there (according to many). Perhaps your bass needs to be EQ'd down, but close your eyes and you can "see" every instrument all around you. Tradeoffs.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #7,588 of 8,119
Since the "rock" topic was brought up, what other IEM's would you guys suggest instead of the IE8's that doesn't make me analyse every instrument to pieces? (non-analytical)

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #7,590 of 8,119

Quote:
Since the "rock" topic was brought up, what other IEM's would you guys suggest instead of the IE8's that doesn't make me analyse every instrument to pieces? (non-analytical)

FX700 all the way man. And get a good source to synergize with it (Hifiman 601/602). They do rock very well and sound very natural (Timbre). I sold my IE8s in anticipation for the new IE80 (supposedly it gets rid of the veiled mid-range, improves on treble, tightened bass, and larger sound stage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back