Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #7,111 of 8,119

Quote:
So you didn't like your jh16's? Since your saying you had them I'm assuming they weren't your cup of tea. I've heard they are aggressive.

i loved them. i used them daily during my work commute of 2 hours each way.  laid off, no commute, too much invested in my portable setup so i sold it.  i hope to buy another high end custom in the future when my finances are better but right now, i use my desktop setup almost 95% of the time (and thats not even that much total time because my days are busy).

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7,112 of 8,119

Quote:
i loved them. i used them daily during my work commute of 2 hours each way.  laid off, no commute, too much invested in my portable setup so i sold it.  i hope to buy another high end custom in the future when my finances are better but right now, i use my desktop setup almost 95% of the time (and thats not even that much total time because my days are busy).

Interesting, I've never owned BA based IEM's before. I'm pretty much gonna skip the universal route as it seems they would lack what I am looking for, but the custom route is a different matter. Average Joe has been extensively reviewing custom IEM's and he finds a different set (not sure of the name I forgot it) to be quite better than the JH 16s. These particular ones though have a bass boost mechanism like the IE8s.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #7,113 of 8,119
yea, theyre also 400$ or so more i think.  i might have it confused but i did skim that thread.  the jh6 has a particular sound. some love it, some not so much.  i love bass thats textured with impact. thats what it offers.  it was also my 1st and only custom :) so i suppose there are other great ones out there, i only have experience with the 16.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #7,114 of 8,119

Quote:
yea, theyre also 400$ or so more i think.  i might have it confused but i did skim that thread.  the jh6 has a particular sound. some love it, some not so much.  i love bass thats textured with impact. thats what it offers.  it was also my 1st and only custom :) so i suppose there are other great ones out there, i only have experience with the 16.

Not to mention that these things are super expensive doesn't help one bit lol. I wish people could compare them to universals sound signatures but point out what they do better as that would help out many in choosing the right custom opposed to taking the dive and getting our feet wet.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #7,115 of 8,119

Quote:
Not to mention that these things are super expensive doesn't help one bit lol. I wish people could compare them to universals sound signatures but point out what they do better as that would help out many in choosing the right custom opposed to taking the dive and getting our feet wet.

well joe does a lot with customs so im sure he has some views on it.  the first iem i got after selling the 16s were W4s.  the westones sounded very good.  the detail was great.  i would say (this i smy opinion) detail wise, the w4 is up there with the jh16, but everything else, the jh16 does better.  better dynamics, better bass, better mids, better highs.  because of that, it sounds more alive. even with eq on my j3, i couldnt get it to sound like the jh16. to my ears, the 16s just dont do anything wrong. i love its sound.  
to some the benefit isnt worth the added price. for me, if i had the money, it would be worth it. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #7,116 of 8,119
Then let's see how would you rate our beloved IE8 against that jh16. 
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #7,117 of 8,119
Ive just Rockboxed my iPod Classic 5G and now my IE8's sound so much better playing FLACs...
gs1000.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #7,118 of 8,119

Quote:
Then let's see how would you rate our beloved IE8 against that jh16. 
smile.gif

I'm positive he will still enjoy the JH16's more overall than the IE8s.  I eventually will go the custom route but I have to really study to make sure I get the sound signature I want, don't want to be playing games with such expensive IEMs. Can't wait for my Sony EX1000s to come though :).

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7,119 of 8,119
Quote:
I'm positive he will still enjoy the JH16's more overall than the IE8s.  I eventually will go the custom route but I have to really study to make sure I get the sound signature I want, don't want to be playing games with such expensive IEMs. Can't wait for my Sony EX1000s to come though :).

My view is that once you get customs, you just have to ignore the whole "what kind of sound do I want and what gear will give it to me" game that many of us play.  Most if not all customs will please us if we just accept their sound and listen to the music.   

Luckily for me, I've reached this point with the IE8.  I know that out of all the IEM's I've heard it is the best to my ears and I no longer give thought to the sound signature.  As far as my portable setup goes, I've gotten beyond the gear.  Though, someday I would like to try an entry custom.  

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #7,120 of 8,119
Hope all of you are doing well. Please let me know about burn-in of IE8s, another member (toughnut) has mentioned in one thread about requiring burning for 300+ hrs. Isn't this a bit too much and what would be the difference in say 50 hr burn in??

Please respond. Also do I need to play music constantly for 12 or 24 hrs for burn in or i can do it periodically . Will appreciate your comments.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #7,122 of 8,119
I regularly burn in my new IEM continually for 50 hours, and on rare occasion, 200hrs in a single run. Just make sure not to overdrive it with loud volume. Alternatively, you can just listen as it is.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7,123 of 8,119
I feel like my IE8's behaviour changed quite a bit with usage. It certainly has got more smooth and mellow with time. In the first listen I completely hated it for its in-your-face presentation but now its on it's 3rd year from purchase and I think they are drastically changed and i'm loving its smoothness.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #7,124 of 8,119
3rd year? changing quite a bit? im skeptical about burn in past a few hours maybe a day if that.  i wonder if changes could be due to changes in the tip.  as they start to absorb oils and being taken in and out over and over again.  i mean other than that, these must break in for a long time bcause others have reported that they need long break in times.  interesting. i get mine in about 5 hours when usps gets here.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7,125 of 8,119

Lol Caracara I have to disagree with you although tips do change the sound especially for the IE8s. These drivers go through drastic changes in all frequency aspects in my opinion and they don't completely settle til well after 300 hours. I say the most drastic changes happen within 250 hours time. This is my second pair of IE8s and I can tell you the burn in has been different on these than my last pair. So it does vary. No mental burn in either although we all do go through that to an extend but that is overall sound signature. I can clearly tell the difference between a fresh pair of IE8s and a well burned in pair. The IE7s were even worse, they sounded like **** until 220 hours time.
Quote:
3rd year? changing quite a bit? im skeptical about burn in past a few hours maybe a day if that.  i wonder if changes could be due to changes in the tip.  as they start to absorb oils and being taken in and out over and over again.  i mean other than that, these must break in for a long time bcause others have reported that they need long break in times.  interesting. i get mine in about 5 hours when usps gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back