Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7,081 of 8,119
I've spent a decent amount of time with the S4 and the higher end Senns.  I would say the IE7 is 2x as good as the S4, and the IE8 is maybe 2.5x as good as the S4.  I would also say they are def worth 4x the price of the S4.  

Quote:
Guys I have just ordered a pair IE 8 from amazon.uk (sold and shipped by amazon directly) for 167 GBP (excluding shipping cost GBP 22). Also worth noting is that i couldn't get US site to deliver to saudi arabia while uk is doing it express delivery..

I am newbie in the world of audiophiles and this would be my first 100+ IEM , I am currently using S4 klipsch and if i compare the price IE 8 these cost almost 4 times S4 so can u guys say the sound is also four times better than S4 , simply put are they of value considering the price I hope they are 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #7,082 of 8,119
how does one discern 2.5x better from 2.0 to 4.0?

its all subjective.  he may have a different measuring system than u

we should just leave it at, its not gonna be 4x better. but try and tell us waht you think.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7,083 of 8,119

Quote:

From the Kipsch lineup, the long discontinued Custom-3 would be that played in the league of the IE-8. Those were my first high end IEMs, when they got stolen I was mourning their loss for a long time. While the sound signature of the C3 resembled somewhat that of the IE-8, it was more forward sounding, did not have the wide sound stage. Some of the CX series from Senn would be comparable to the S-4, I found the CX-300 sound almost identical to it. I hope this helps to explain the difference, you just moved from a Toyota Corolla to a Lexus LS.  Congrats on your purchase and Happy Listening!

Nice! so what I cant have Lexus LS I have IE 8 now so I should stick with my accord and enjoy IE8
etysmile.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #7,085 of 8,119
Guys I really need some help with my IE 8's. I have had them for two years, but last month my cable broke. The problem with my cable was that my right channel lost some of it's sound and it would come back if I fidddled with my jack plug connector. After two weeks that stopped working. In fact 5 minutes after the right channel became mute the left channel also just stopped working, without prior warning. So I bought a new one.

So this cable came in today and I tried them on with my phones. And here's the problem the left channel works perfectly again with both phones, but the right channel loses it's sound when i press on the earphone when it's in my ear. So now I truly don't know where the problem lies. Is the brand new cable I ordered faulty or is something broken inside my phones which makes them both unuseable when they are connected to the right channel?

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #7,087 of 8,119

Quote:
Guys I really need some help with my IE 8's. I have had them for two years, but last month my cable broke. The problem with my cable was that my right channel lost some of it's sound and it would come back if I fidddled with my jack plug connector. After two weeks that stopped working. In fact 5 minutes after the right channel became mute the left channel also just stopped working, without prior warning. So I bought a new one.

So this cable came in today and I tried them on with my phones. And here's the problem the left channel works perfectly again with both phones, but the right channel loses it's sound when i press on the earphone when it's in my ear. So now I truly don't know where the problem lies. Is the brand new cable I ordered faulty or is something broken inside my phones which makes them both unuseable when they are connected to the right channel?

since both sides have the same connections, you can try installing the left channel to your right earbud. if everything works like it should, then its faulty cable.

Also, these headphones do carry a two year warranty. maybe you still have time?

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7,088 of 8,119

Quote:

since both sides have the same connections, you can try installing the left channel to your right earbud. if everything works like it should, then its faulty cable.

Also, these headphones do carry a two year warranty. maybe you still have time?

Thanks for the reply. And as I already said in my last comment I tried both phones on the left channel and they both work fine then. If they are on the right channel they only make a sort of flickering sound when I press them when they are in my ear..

And about the warranty; I already used my warranty two years ago, also a broken cable, so there's no way to do that again. So I guess the advice would be to have a new cable sent?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #7,090 of 8,119
If you've rooted out the cable to be the culprit then yes getting a new cable would be the best idea. Are you considering an aftermarket cable? If you really wanna tighten the bass, improve the mids (vocals especially) and definitely extend the highs, a pure silver cable will yield that for ya. Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. And as I already said in my last comment I tried both phones on the left channel and they both work fine then. If they are on the right channel they only make a sort of flickering sound when I press them when they are in my ear..

And about the warranty; I already used my warranty two years ago, also a broken cable, so there's no way to do that again. So I guess the advice would be to have a new cable sent?

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #7,091 of 8,119

Quote:

ahh, sorry. should have read your post more carefully. where did you get your replacement from? IIRC, Sennheiser can sell you a pair if you call their support

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #7,092 of 8,119
Thank you for all the help, I bought the cable at custom-cables.co.uk, it's the original cable. I also have to say sorry, because I got it all wrong myself. The left channel and right channel both work properly with the left earphone. The problem lies with my right earphone, which works well when I plug in the cable, but the moment I touch it even slightly it loses all it's sound. And the sound only comes back when I unplug the cable and plug it in again. But as I said again it will lose it's sound when I touch the phone.

So I'll have to contact Sennheiser and see what my options are. I hope I don't have to buy a new one for around 200 euros. And again thank you very much

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #7,093 of 8,119

Quote:
Thank you for all the help, I bought the cable at custom-cables.co.uk, it's the original cable. I also have to say sorry, because I got it all wrong myself. The left channel and right channel both work properly with the left earphone. The problem lies with my right earphone, which works well when I plug in the cable, but the moment I touch it even slightly it loses all it's sound. And the sound only comes back when I unplug the cable and plug it in again. But as I said again it will lose it's sound when I touch the phone.

So I'll have to contact Sennheiser and see what my options are. I hope I don't have to buy a new one for around 200 euros. And again thank you very much

does it sound distorted or crackled? if not, chances are high you are dealing with a separated solder point. If Sennheiser doesnt leave you with many options, you can try experimenting yourself; or a friend. there was a tear-apart somewhere around these forums, they look really easy to dismantle.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #7,094 of 8,119

I'm not sure but they may offer you a replacement at half the cost if I'm not correct. At least that is what I heard. Too bad this has happened to you and after warranty?
Quote:

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #7,095 of 8,119
@aleki
I'm not sure how to describe it, but when I press on the earphone the music comes back nearly inaudible for a split second and goes away again. I guess the sound is similar to driving past something at high speed in a car.

@lee730
Yep, I already used my warranty once. I like the idea of a new one for half price though, that would be nice as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back