Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #7,051 of 8,119

Quote:
Not sure if you tried some sony hybrid tips but they seem to do the trick for me.  No other tip that I've tried has ever been better than those with the ie8's.  The fake hybrids are pretty good too and I'd rate those over everything besides the real ones.  Keep in mind I've only tried all the re0 tips, monster tips, sennheiser tips, triple fi tips so maybe there is something out there better. 

A quick question: Are these the Sony hybrids that fit the IE-8?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311336961&sr=1-2
 or rather these?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311336961&sr=1-1

I'm ready to order one of them but I never saw the package open, and trough the plastic wrap it appears that the gels have a plastic sleeve, I'm not sure how they would attach to the phones.

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #7,052 of 8,119

Quote:
A quick question: Are these the Sony hybrids that fit the IE-8?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311336961&sr=1-2
 or rather these?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311336961&sr=1-1

I'm ready to order one of them but I never saw the package open, and trough the plastic wrap it appears that the gels have a plastic sleeve, I'm not sure how they would attach to the phones.

Thanks.

Yeah, those are the ones. You might want to try the SuperTips in gel or foam from Monster Cables. You can order a sample pack from Earphone Solution.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #7,053 of 8,119

Quote:
Yeah, those are the ones. You might want to try the SuperTips in gel or foam from Monster Cables. You can order a sample pack from Earphone Solution.

Thanks a lot man. One more: Is there any difference between the super tips  from earphone solutions and these?
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Gel-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHIE/ref=sr_1_2?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1311356185&sr=1-2

Someone transferred me over a pack of monster samplers, but the medium gels were not included. Those maybe the ones I'm missing. Thanks again.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #7,054 of 8,119

Quote:
Thanks a lot man. One more: Is there any difference between the super tips  from earphone solutions and these?
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Gel-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHIE/ref=sr_1_2?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1311356185&sr=1-2

Someone transferred me over a pack of monster samplers, but the medium gels were not included. Those maybe the ones I'm missing. Thanks again.

Yeah those are the ones, but the sampler pack from Earphone Solution contains both foams and gels, where the ones you have listed can only be one or the other.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #7,055 of 8,119
caracara08 I am very curious to get your impressions on the IE8's with your re-cable. So far it has taken these IEM's yet to another level. Very different from stock IE8's in my opinion and in a good way that is. At first I was very disappointed and actually contacted the seller to tell him I felt I downgraded my IE8's from the previous re-cable I got from him. After a few days of burn in I was pleasantly surprised. The highs calmed down but are yet more pronounced and detailed than before. Mids are more prominent. Bass is super tight now and yet still has authority.

Quote:

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #7,056 of 8,119
Listening to these now for the first time in over a year. Forgot how you do not want a stellar seal as the highs just aren`t there.
Still prefer my MTPC`s hence these have been in a little zip case for maybe longer than they should of been.
That overall "veil" is still there disappointingly.

ED: Must say though, they are still brilliant at what they do.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #7,057 of 8,119
caracara08 I am very curious to get your impressions on the IE8's with your re-cable. So far it has taken these IEM's yet to another level. Very different from stock IE8's in my opinion and in a good way that is. At first I was very disappointed and actually contacted the seller to tell him I felt I downgraded my IE8's from the previous re-cable I got from him. After a few days of burn in I was pleasantly surprised. The highs calmed down but are yet more pronounced and detailed than before. Mids are more prominent. Bass is super tight now and yet still has authority.

Interesting. I should have them by mid/end of next week but I'm really not expecting night and day. Generally (and let's not turn this into a cable debate) I find the twag gives a little more dynamics and the low end is tighter but its all subtle. In any case, I'm excited to try these out again!

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #7,058 of 8,119
Hi there,

I"m considering to buy the Sennheiser IE8 as a replacement for my broken Jays  Q-Jays. Can someone who owns/owned/heard both give me a short comparison? Are they really a big upgrade from the Jays?

Things I like about the Jays: Recoil and preciseness of the bass, treble, easy fit, realism of vocals.

things i didn't like: Bassquantity way too low, Bass doesn't go deep enough.,Don't hear an OOMPH in the bass, they sound cold (sometimes),
treble is too dominant at some songs, the phones themselves feel and look cheap.

According to the above facts, would you recommend the IE8 to me?

thanks

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #7,059 of 8,119
I've owned the q-Jays and IE8s and they are polar opposites in terms of sound signature.

I found the q-Jays too forward, cold, piercing, and completely lacking in bass oomph and quantity.

On the other hand I found the IE8s too dark, smooth, bassy and they lack clarity and detail (compared to balanced armiture IEMs). Build quality is okay but, despite a very large selection, the supplied tips are useless and the carrying case is over-engineered.

I wouldn't personally recommend the IE8s but they'll certainly not have the same faults that you found with the q-Jays.

My comments are going to go down like a lead balloon in the IE8 appreciation forum ... I best take cover.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #7,061 of 8,119
I've discovered after a couple of months with the IE8s, that "mid bass hump" and "bass congestion" are (for me) artifacts caused by bad positioning of the monitor in the ear canal.  When I put them in place, if I push them in too far, I immediately get a huge bass hump and a ton of mid-range congestion.  Pulling them slightly out (without breaking the seal) at that point causes first the hump to go away, and then a gradual reduction in the bass until the IEM becomes almost bass-light and extremely detailed (much more like my HF2s, actually).  This may be why the Sony Hybrid tips are so nice for most... something about how they're constructed seems to really facilitate positioning without breaking the seal (suppleness + size perhaps?)

I suspect this explains the varied impressions of the IE8s... how different people find their flavor very different.  When I last reviewed them, I had commented that I needed to EQ them to remove the midbass, but by simply repositioning the IE8s I've found them to be absolutely perfect for me.  Wonderful depth, sparkly highs, and tremendous clarity in the mid-range.  I had previously been considering the purchase of some UM Miracles, but since coming to understand how critical placement of the IE8s in the ear canal is (this also appears to be true for angle... tweaking the orientation of these in the ear canal also dramatically affects the balance), I simply can't see myself spending the money on customs.  

I no longer use EQ, and these are flawless to me now.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7,062 of 8,119

Quote:
I've discovered after a couple of months with the IE8s, that "mid bass hump" and "bass congestion" are (for me) artifacts caused by bad positioning of the monitor in the ear canal.  When I put them in place, if I push them in too far, I immediately get a huge bass hump and a ton of mid-range congestion.  Pulling them slightly out (without breaking the seal) at that point causes first the hump to go away, and then a gradual reduction in the bass until the IEM becomes almost bass-light and extremely detailed (much more like my HF2s, actually).  This may be why the Sony Hybrid tips are so nice for most... something about how they're constructed seems to really facilitate positioning without breaking the seal (suppleness + size perhaps?)

I suspect this explains the varied impressions of the IE8s... how different people find their flavor very different.  When I last reviewed them, I had commented that I needed to EQ them to remove the midbass, but by simply repositioning the IE8s I've found them to be absolutely perfect for me.  Wonderful depth, sparkly highs, and tremendous clarity in the mid-range.  I had previously been considering the purchase of some UM Miracles, but since coming to understand how critical placement of the IE8s in the ear canal is (this also appears to be true for angle... tweaking the orientation of these in the ear canal also dramatically affects the balance), I simply can't see myself spending the money on customs.  

I learned that too. They are also very tip-picky.
Right now, I'm using the stock foamies and loving the sound
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #7,063 of 8,119
Just an observation:
I'm no longer sure if a majority of the burn-in previously observed was psycological, or physical(perhaps the drivers undergo manufacturer burn-in?); but my replacement units sounded great out of the box this time. Maybe just a smidge more bass and impact.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #7,064 of 8,119

Quote:
Just an observation:
I'm no longer sure if a majority of the burn-in previously observed was psycological, or physical(perhaps the drivers undergo manufacturer burn-in?); but my replacement units sounded great out of the box this time. Maybe just a smidge more bass and impact.

I've caught myself subconsciously adjusting them after I put them in, doing a kind of "rolling" maneuver where I move them in a circular motion (not rotating them, but rather, moving them in a circular pattern along the entrance to the ear canal) until they're positioned properly.  Perhaps a portion of "burn in" for these is that unconscious learning of placement for them in the sweet spot.

For my ears, I couldn't get an ideal balance from the tips that came with them, although the foamies were the best of the ones included for me as well.  I notice that the Sony's have a sort of "half sphere" shape to them... I wonder if that allows them to behave a little more like a socket in a joint, making it easier to rotate them into a good alignment with the opening of the ear.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #7,065 of 8,119

Quote:

You got that nail right on the head...I have the same experience, now finally I'm beginning to hear the magic from these plugs.
Amazing how you can tune the sound on them almost to infinite just by trying different gels. I'm getting ready to oreder the Sony hybrids, those are the only ones so far I haven't tried on my IE-8.Just a tad bit more snugness from the gels and I should get the sound perfect. For bass heads who feel that there's no such thing as enough bass, I would recommend the mod on the picture below. You will get more bass than you can tolerate, guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back