Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #7,066 of 8,119

Quote:
Just an observation:
I'm no longer sure if a majority of the burn-in previously observed was psycological, or physical(perhaps the drivers undergo manufacturer burn-in?); but my replacement units sounded great out of the box this time. Maybe just a smidge more bass and impact.

I asked  a question about burn-in from an expert audiologist on a different forum some time ago, he sounded sort of skeptical to me. Though I directed the question in regards of BA based IEMs, not voice coil. Perhaps this is a UFO like debate that partitions the crowd into believers, non believers and the third group, who couldn't care less.
 From the link below, you can read the question from post 26, same screen name I'm using here, and his answer in post 15 from AuD.
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/126625.aspx?PageIndex=3

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #7,067 of 8,119

Quote:

I asked  a question about burn-in from an expert audiologist on a different forum some time ago, he sounded sort of skeptical to me. Though I directed the question in regards of BA based IEMs, not voice coil. Perhaps this is a UFO like debate that partitions the crowd into believers, non believers and the third group, who couldn't care less.
 From the link below, you can read the question from post 26, same screen name I'm using here, and his answer in post 15 from AuD.
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/126625.aspx?PageIndex=3

Well, there was still the discrepency I heard between a pair of IE8's I attained from a member, and the pair my friend let me borrow. As I distinctly recall, the pair I bought had much more open, and peakier treble. Although it has also been passed along two headfi'ers before landing on my hands; so they had undergone quite a bit of use(over a year vs ~1.5 months of my friend's pair). So far, I cant properly conclude that burn in was physical or psycological to me; the variable which may play an explainable role between the two would be a shift in manufacturing or QC over the course of a year, which may have yielded a different SS.
I will say, however, the replacement I received sound similar to my friend's IE8's, but with a touch more impact and tone.. It's like a mesh between the Turbine Copper and my previous IE8's best features; just freaking excellent
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #7,068 of 8,119

Quote:

Well, there was still the discrepency I heard between a pair of IE8's I attained from a member, and the pair my friend let me borrow. As I distinctly recall, the pair I bought had much more open, and peakier treble. Although it has also been passed along two headfi'ers before landing on my hands; so they had undergone quite a bit of use(over a year vs ~1.5 months of my friend's pair). So far, I cant properly conclude that burn in was physical or psycological to me; the variable which may play an explainable role between the two would be a shift in manufacturing or QC over the course of a year, which may have yielded a different SS.
I will say, however, the replacement I received sound similar to my friend's IE8's, but with a touch more impact and tone.. It's like a mesh between the Turbine Copper and my previous IE8's best features; just freaking excellent
biggrin.gif

Coincidentally my pair of IE-8 also originate from another member here, who attained them yet from others, so I'm actually the forth owner. I had the chance to meet someone from here who lent me his pair of plugs he purchased new, head to had the two pairs sounded one and the same, I was not able to discern any difference in sound, whatsoever. Also, I sent mine to Sennheiser to make sure they are authentic and according to their find, my phones are indeed authentic and perform to their specs. Without the original invoice is hard to determine what year the initial purchase was made, but it can't be any later than at least 18 months. Of course, any effects of the supposed burn-in would have on the sound occurred long before I got them. In your case, the first one you had may have developed something, either issues with the cable or control circuitry, who knows. Anyway, this gear is unbelievably robust, they go on for ever just like the energizer if they don't get abused.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #7,069 of 8,119

I have to agree with you on the differences between other IE8s. As this is my second pair and it did not sound exactly the same out of the box to my first pair. Both were brand new and it seemed the burn in was different. Note I also used different and more powerful sources to burn in my second pair from the beginning (UHA 4 amp, sflo2, DACport LX). I also used 2 different recables and that changed the burn in even more. So far I have about 400 hours on my second pair and they are still subtly changing.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #7,072 of 8,119
The Hybrids are excellent as well.  Be careful putting them on, as they are quite snug, and there have been reports of people snapping the nozzles (which are glued in place) off the body of the monitor.

I found it pretty tricky, but eventually figured that hooking the tip on one side, and pushing the other side downwards worked best (as opposed to pulling on it) while supporting the nozzle.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #7,073 of 8,119
You shouldn't have any problems putting the hybrids on.  Now putting a comply tip on is probably some cause for concern as they fit really snug. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #7,074 of 8,119
The nozzle has come undone on me in two instances
1'st; I bought a pair which had been having that issue(got it dirt cheap)
2'nd; I left my IE8's accidentally baking in the car. to which the glue had softened up.

On both pairs, I have noticed the nozzle always comes undone by twisting to the left; following the old addeage: "lefty loosey, righty tighty".
Twisting the nozzle to the right, doesnt seem to allow it to unlock in the same manner; despite there not being any glue/adhesive to secure it.
I'm assuming everyone who has reported the nozzles coming undone are used to twisting to the left as they remove the tips. If this seems to be the case with everyone under such incident, I propose we get in the habbit of twisting to the right when removing tips
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7,075 of 8,119
I removed the nozzles of my IE8 several times on purpose, to clean them with hydrogen peroxide. It's quite an awesome 'hidden feature' that they have a bayonet mount.

Not sure how people manage to break them, though... you'd have to use insane force, as I see it.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #7,076 of 8,119

Quote:
I removed the nozzles of my IE8 several times on purpose, to clean them with hydrogen peroxide. It's quite an awesome 'hidden feature' that they have a bayonet mount.

Not sure how people manage to break them, though... you'd have to use insane force, as I see it.

I just tried to see if I can break mine loose, that nozzle wouldn't budge. I was afraid to use more force, so I gave up. Are you sure those meant to be removable?

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7,078 of 8,119
Guys I have just ordered a pair IE 8 from amazon.uk (sold and shipped by amazon directly) for 167 GBP (excluding shipping cost GBP 22). Also worth noting is that i couldn't get US site to deliver to saudi arabia while uk is doing it express delivery..

I am newbie in the world of audiophiles and this would be my first 100+ IEM , I am currently using S4 klipsch and if i compare the price IE 8 these cost almost 4 times S4 so can u guys say the sound is also four times better than S4 , simply put are they of value considering the price I hope they are 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7,079 of 8,119

Quote:
Guys I have just ordered a pair IE 8 from amazon.uk (sold and shipped by amazon directly) for 167 GBP (excluding shipping cost GBP 22). Also worth noting is that i couldn't get US site to deliver to saudi arabia while uk is doing it express delivery..

I am newbie in the world of audiophiles and this would be my first 100+ IEM , I am currently using S4 klipsch and if i compare the price IE 8 these cost almost 4 times S4 so can u guys say the sound is also four times better than S4 , simply put are they of value considering the price I hope they are 
smily_headphones1.gif

From the Kipsch lineup, the long discontinued Custom-3 would be that played in the league of the IE-8. Those were my first high end IEMs, when they got stolen I was mourning their loss for a long time. While the sound signature of the C3 resembled somewhat that of the IE-8, it was more forward sounding, did not have the wide sound stage. Some of the CX series from Senn would be comparable to the S-4, I found the CX-300 sound almost identical to it. I hope this helps to explain the difference, you just moved from a Toyota Corolla to a Lexus LS.  Congrats on your purchase and Happy Listening!

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #7,080 of 8,119

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

it wont be 4 times better.  so dont expect it to be. thast not how this hobby works but good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back